Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 23:18   #16
BHPian

FORD Greens - J E E P 4x4

WOWWWW !!!!!!! thats how I felt when I saw this FORD Jeep (1958)near to my place. I just stood in front of it starring doing nothing and thats when wifey told me "If you like it then get some snaps" I wish she had told "If you like it then get one".
Attached Thumbnails
Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-jeep-front.jpg  

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-jeep-back.jpg  

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-interior.jpg  

Old 21st March 2010, 23:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind splitter View Post
WOWWWW !!!!!!! thats how I felt when I saw this FORD Jeep (1958)near to my place.
Are you sure about the year? Ford didn't make Jeeps after 1945.
Old 22nd March 2010, 00:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are you sure about the year? Ford didn't make Jeeps after 1945.
Thats what the owner told me when I asked him, not sure though.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That poor jeep is a RHD convert .

Pramod
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
WOWWWW !!!!!!! thats how I felt when I saw this FORD Jeep (1958)near to my place. I just stood in front of it starring doing nothing and thats when wifey told me "If you like it then get some snaps" I wish she had told "If you like it then get one".
Wow, it is the same Jeep that the OP has posted and looks like this picture was shot in Vijayanagar, Bangalore. Chances are that the jeep is still in the vicinity. See my earlier post (Page 1 of this thread) for some history on this Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Samurai - I am not sure if there were some models that came out with fuel fillers on the side, but if you google WWII Jeeps, you won't come across any with the fillers showing (atleast i did'nt). Theres a few things with the car you posted - The spare wheel and Jerry can seem to have swaped places. The area around the fuel filler looks fabricated. The Exhaust is in the wrong place and the lights seem to be of a later model.

There's people on here with alot more Jeep experience than me - maybe they could help. It might just be a model i dont know much about.

Here some photos of WWII Jeeps and there's no fuel fillers visible (Took them off the internet - hope that's ok). Also look at the photos of the Jeep i posted.
Samir, you are right in your observation. The WWII Jeeps came with a fuel tank below the driver's seat. Fuel filler in LHS rear is fabricated - a common modification when Jeeps are converted to diesel.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Wow, it is the same Jeep that the OP has posted and looks like this picture was shot in Vijayanagar, Bangalore. Chances are that the jeep is still in the vicinity. See my earlier post (Page 1 of this thread) for some history on this Jeep.

Thats correct this pic was shot at Chandra layout in Vijaynagar.

Samir, you are right in your observation. The WWII Jeeps came with a fuel tank below the driver's seat. Fuel filler in LHS rear is fabricated - a common modification when Jeeps are converted to diesel.

As per the guy who owned the Jeep this is converted to diesel engine, you got it right.

OT: By the way do you stay in vijaynagar?
Old 21st May 2010, 15:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This cannot be a FORD jeep. Aa total of 2,77,896 vehicles were manufactured from 1941-1945. The FORD logo was EMBOSSED on these legends.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

That poor Jeep stared life as maybe a Ford or a Willys from WW2.

It has apparently been much molested and worked on ever since to bring it to this condition.

It is true that some of teh FORD Jeeps had Ford embossed on teh rears but this was discontineed from 43 onwards and the Jeeps made since then are vertually identical, only way to tell if it is a Willys or a Ford is to check the data plates
Old 25th May 2010, 10:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That poor Jeep stared life as maybe a Ford or a Willys from WW2.

It has apparently been much molested and worked on ever since to bring it to this condition.

It is true that some of teh FORD Jeeps had Ford embossed on teh rears but this was discontineed from 43 onwards and the Jeeps made since then are vertually identical, only way to tell if it is a Willys or a Ford is to check the data plates
FORD jeeps had the name embossed on the front as well. As you rightly mentioned, this Jeep has been a victim of molestation.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
FORD jeeps had the name embossed on the front as well. As you rightly mentioned, this Jeep has been a victim of molestation.
No, never on the front.
Ford GPW had the script "FORD" on the rear panel and that too for a short time.
I think the script was discontinued sometime after mid 1942.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

gotzuk
I stand to be corrected, i but i have seen the FORD logo embossed on the front panel as well. It was a small logo, unike the rear panel with a big F. Will upload pic if i find one.

Note:I own a june 1942 ford, do not have any logos embossed any where.
Old 26th May 2010, 00:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
gotzuk
I stand to be corrected, i but i have seen the FORD logo embossed on the front panel as well. It was a small logo, unike the rear panel with a big F. Will upload pic if i find one.

Note:I own a june 1942 ford, do not have any logos embossed any where.
Even I have seen jeeps over adorned with logos which were never there.
Along with a lot of accessories/add ons, which the owners would adamantly claim are "original american".
Such claims usually travel from mouth to mouth and somewhere in their journey make the jump from fiction to fact.

BTW, do post some pics of your GPW.

Cheers
Old 26th May 2010, 09:50   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

These Ford logos were embossed usually on the sides of bonnets of trucks in the 30s and 40s. Many scrappies would save these 'tukdas' when scrapping the truck, and would graft them on jeeps later. I got one in a similar way to preserve for posterity.
Old 20th January 2011, 22:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!

Today, when I first saw this jeep overtaking our Indica which was cruising at about 70 km/hr along the GQ near Tambaram in Chennai, I dismissed it mistaking it for an old Mahindra Jeep. Only then it dawned on me that its actually a vintage World War II Jeep which should have been made either by Willys or Ford. The jeep had actually went so far by then that it took a couple of minutes for us to get close to it again.

Apart from the embossed Ford badge at the rear, the nine-slotted grille, the indicators and the split front windshield were some of the few noticeable authentic parts left in that vehicle. Most of the other iconic WW II Jeep accesories like the pickaxe and shovel in the left side, jerry can in the rear and one of the side lamps in the wheel arch were not to be found. The fact that it was converted to RHD and the presence of fake parts like the Mahindra taillights spoiled its originality.

However, what surprised me most was the fact that it was moderately well-maintained and comfortably did speeds of about 75 km/hr in the NH. What surprised me least though was, even after so many decades, it still managed to turn heads all along the way. I only wish that it had all the original bits of the Ford GPW so that I could have feasted my eyes even more.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-image1646.jpg  

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-image1650.jpg  

Old 20th January 2011, 23:00   #30
BANNED

Re: Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Today, when I first saw this jeep overtaking our Indica which was cruising at about 70 km/hr along the GQ near Tambaram in Chennai, I dismissed it mistaking it for an old Mahindra Jeep. Only then it dawned on me that its actually a vintage World War II Jeep which should have been made either by Willys or Ford. The jeep had actually went so far by then that it took a couple of minutes for us to get close to it again.

Apart from the embossed Ford badge at the rear, the nine-slotted grille, the indicators and the split front windshield were some of the few noticeable authentic parts left in that vehicle. Most of the other iconic WW II Jeep accesories like the pickaxe and shovel in the left side, jerry can in the rear and one of the side lamps in the wheel arch were not to be found. The fact that it was converted to RHD and the presence of fake parts like the Mahindra taillights spoiled its originality.

However, what surprised me most was the fact that it was moderately well-maintained and comfortably did speeds of about 75 km/hr in the NH. What surprised me least though was, even after so many decades, it still managed to turn heads all along the way. I only wish that it had all the original bits of the Ford GPW so that I could have feasted my eyes even more.
That might not be an original Ford WWII jeep.

One of the FINEST, BEST and the MOST ORIGINAL FORD WWII jeep is owned by a Bangalorean. A dear friend of mine

Also, i had restored a 1943 Willys WWII jeep few years back, so i know a little bit about jeeps and due to UBS sir and his knowledge i can size up their originality.

Let me take his permission first, before posting pics of it.

But as a teaser, i will put up one pic
Attached Thumbnails
Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-dsc08015.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks