Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 15:45   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
Hi Dussey,

Great Car and even greater job! I am so inspired to take on a resoration roject after going through your post. Next time am in chennai I would love to hook up with you and see this beauty!

Great show keep it going
Thanks Machdar. It was two years of hard work. But the end result is really worth it ! You are welcome to visit me when you are in Chennai next.
You can see my other cars and bikes too and of course my large collection of Scale models of Vintage & Classic vehicles.
Old 13th February 2010, 16:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is a 1930's Mercedes Benz 170 V photographed by Thacker Vijay found in a cow shed in a village. A farmer owns this car and allowed him to take few pictures without revealing his name.
Pictures source :The Automotive India Forums
The Automotive India

Photographed by thaker vijay, my foot! These pics were taken by me, and uploaded on team bhp itself.He has flicked it from here, and claimed that he's taken it, and a silly story to boot!

i believe he is a member here too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/vijaythacker.html

But i must hand it to him for making up that farmer story! The car is in nowhere near his place, and the guy is certainly no farmer! Wonder who let him in!

Last edited by JayD : 13th February 2010 at 16:11.
Old 13th February 2010, 17:29   #48
BHPian

Thanks Dussey,

I have got my eye on a 108 and I was keen to restore it. I nearly decided against the project as the condition is nearly junk. After reading your thread am encouraged to try and restore it.
Old 13th February 2010, 21:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Dussey thats a good job as with all the restorations you've done. What shade is that? Would this model have been used in WWII? If yes then what would or could the colour shades have been?
Old 26th February 2010, 20:01   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Dussey thats a good job as with all the restorations you've done. What shade is that? Would this model have been used in WWII? If yes then what would or could the colour shades have been?
Thanks, deutscheafrikar. Yes, these cars were used by the German Military
during WW2. In fact, there were other versions too like, a scout car,Truck etc. The WW2 versions used to come in desert brown camo, olive green and grey. You could have probably seen them in old WW2 movies where military officers and the Gestapo officers were seen alighting from these vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-mercedes_benz_type_170_light_car.jpg  

Old 27th February 2010, 03:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Great job Dussey. The farmer looks to be smitten by Mercs. See the Inglorious Basterds for a few 170V and other such Gestapo kind of cars.

The red 170V is an Ex Bombay car and not very original, starting with steering wheel. Originally many years ago it was White.
Old 27th February 2010, 10:59   #52
BHPian

You know guys! I am beginning to like this new cult of subtle and restrained restorations. Seems like coming of age of Indian Vintage Restorers.
Well done my friend and keep up the good work.

Regards
Perak

PS: Hope the Cal restorers follow suite.
Old 27th February 2010, 15:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great job Dussey. The farmer looks to be smitten by Mercs. See the Inglorious Basterds for a few 170V and other such Gestapo kind of cars.

The red 170V is an Ex Bombay car and not very original, starting with steering wheel. Originally many years ago it was White.
V16 You won't believe this a lot of things in this car are not orignal spec I saw it getting completed and the guy working on it was telling with pride how he has remanufactured most of this car, although the work he has done is great but decided to go with his own BRAND of stylistics touches a grave mistake, not only that he has gone overboard with using cheap PLASTIC adhesive chrome strips to garnish far to many places on that car and the wood finish on the dash, and his own style of rear & front bumper (I think he wanted to emulate the supersharged cars!!), but clearly this guy is a bit behind on what a concor car means then you have such boards hanging which sort of is blowing smoke into the onlooker The fact that Titus has not corrected all this yet led me to kind wonder what all the noise around him being a ture collector etc was? I also wondered if he really understood the passion/accuracy and this thought came to me when I first read that he bought this car and it was displayed with pride at some show few years ago! The worksman ship is good but the accuracy is crap. By the way the entire front grill, windshield frame, and all chrome plated trim etc are all fabricated ground up by an outsourced good oldschool brass smith. To top it all the orignal restorer has put a mordern oval chrome tips which look more at home on souped up zen or city!

Last edited by canonball : 27th February 2010 at 15:27.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:52   #54
BHPian

Re: My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V

LMT-Tools , a German company , which manufactures precision tools,especially for the Auto Industry,together with Goethe Institut/Max Mueller Bhavan, Chennai,have organised an exhibition of photographs ,"125 Auto-Motive ", from 27Feb to 03March,at the Goethe Institute. to commemorate 125 years of German Automotive history.
The photo exhibition has photographs of top international photographers ,whose photographs are surprising and radically different.
I was invited to exhibit my 1938 Mercedes 170V, which stood magnificently,at
the entrance in a special enclosure. Here are some photographs of car and me with Mr & Mrs Karl Pechatscheck, Director of the Goethe Institut. Also, two photographs of early accidents, by Joseph Reinhard.
Attached Thumbnails
My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-invite-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-006-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-007-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-038-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-040-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-044-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-224-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-227-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-229-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-230-r.jpg  

Old 29th February 2012, 12:00   #55
BHPian

Here are the pictures of the photographs of early accidents by Joseph Reinhard
Attached Thumbnails
My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-013-r.jpg  

My Prewar 1938 Mercedes Benz 170 V-027-r.jpg  

Old 29th February 2012, 21:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey
LMT-Tools , a German company , which manufactures precision tools,especially for the Auto Industry,together with Goethe Institut/Max Mueller Bhavan, Chennai,have organised an exhibition of photographs ,"125 Auto-Motive ", from 27Feb to 03March,at the Goethe Institute. to commemorate 125 years of German Automotive history.
The photo exhibition has photographs of top international photographers ,whose photographs are surprising and radically different.
the entrance in a special enclosure. Here are some photographs of car and me with Mr & Mrs Karl Pechatscheck, Director of the Goethe Institut. Also, two photographs of early accidents, by Joseph Reinhard.
Wow such a beauty . Please post some more pics
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
the entrance in a special enclosure.
The car looks stunning Sir, typical toned down elegance of a classic Merc. The car looks even better than what I saw from the pics you displayed after restoring her. One question-where did you manage to get the whitewalls and what size are the tires?

Quote:
Here are the pictures of the photographs of early accidents by Joseph Reinhard
Ouch, a Citroen just like adkol's with a Buick! Poor Citroen; I'm thinking the clutch, gearbox must have been smashed as well.

mbz180
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:15   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Wow such a beauty . Please post some more pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
The car looks stunning Sir, typical toned down elegance of a classic Merc. The car looks even better than what I saw from the pics you displayed after restoring her. One question-where did you manage to get the whitewalls and what size are the tires?

Ouch, a Citroen just like adkol's with a Buick! Poor Citroen; I'm thinking the clutch, gearbox must have been smashed as well.

mbz180
Thanks,kasli/mbz180.
The tyres are 500-525 X 16. These are whitewall inserts which I got from abroad.
By the way I have an Citroen Avant too , please see "My Garage ".
Old 6th March 2012, 09:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks,kasli/mbz180.

By the way I have an Citroen Avant too , please see "My Garage ".

Yes, I know you have a Citroen as well. Graet looking car.

Is yours a UK built as well since I see its a right hand drive? If you haven't already seen it, see this thread on adkol's 1949 UK built 15-6 Traction, covering some of the work I did on his car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...nt-15-6-a.html

Regards
mbz180
Old 7th March 2012, 22:17   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Yes, I know you have a Citroen as well. Graet looking car.

Is yours a UK built as well since I see its a right hand drive? If you haven't already seen it, see this thread on adkol's 1949 UK built 15-6 Traction, covering some of the work I did on his car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...nt-15-6-a.html

Regards
mbz180
I have seen adkol's, My Avant is not Slough (UK) built. Its a French export.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks