Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 16:54   #1
BHPian

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta

I am starting a thread at the beginning of this restoration project that Sanjay Ghosh is undertaking for a Bombay client.

It should be a challenging project as it is reasonably "rough", first to identify the year and correct specifications and then to find or fabricate what's needed. He estimates it will be a one year project and his son Billy will keep up-dating Team-BHP as the work progresses.

I'm having the enjoyment of doing some research in the U.S. and in the process learning more about the Buick Marque. The first thing I found out was that Buick first started building engines and was the first to develop an overhead valve engine in 1902. He went into producing cars shortly thereafter and was one of the largest US car manufacturers in 1906 and later became a part of General Motors group.

Apart from the photos of this project car, I am posting some photos that I have down loaded and some of a similar 1930 Buick that I saw at the Delhi Statesman Rally last year.

I'm looking forward to check up on this project when I return to Toronto, just a click away!
Attached Thumbnails
1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-524.jpg  

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-buick_29_49_7_passenger_touring_1929.jpg  

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-25.jpg  

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-img_3556.jpg  

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-img_4047.jpg  

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-img_4447.jpg  

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-img_4448.jpg  

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-img_4453.jpg  

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-img_4454.jpg  

1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta-img_4056.jpg  

Old 15th February 2009, 19:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great. Looking forward to this thread. Thanks Mate for sharing the process with us..
Old 17th February 2009, 12:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great. Looking forward to this thread. Thanks Mate for sharing the process with us..
This is a 1927 Buick, 7 seater tourer. I believe that I may have mentioned this car in an earlier post. MAybe Karl will know.
Gogibhai, this Buick was a Mumbai car. Do you remember Gwalior Tank Mr. Carter? It was his. I have a pic of her taken by me in the mid 1980's which I have sent to the owner. That time she was sold to Pune and at that time the tractor tyres were fitted.
At one time this car was a hire car.
The present owner is not from Mumbai, but from Eastern India. The 1947 Caddy convertible on another thread also belongs to him.
A lovely, rare and valuable car in India!
Old 17th February 2009, 18:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a 1927 Buick, 7 seater tourer. I believe that I may have mentioned this car in an earlier post. MAybe Karl will know.
I do remember seeing this car many years back in Pune in a shed, it looked to be in the same condition. On enquiring the watchman told us it belonged to a prominent collector, but I never saw it parked with his other cars.
Old 17th February 2009, 22:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

John please meticulously post all info that you encounter in you research like ads, documents anything else that may educate us about this car and its restoration journey.
Old 18th February 2009, 12:44   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

John would you have a closeup shot of the front? I am not able to tell if the grill has louvers or the exposed honeycomb radiator. The louvered shutters came in 1930 onwards.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
John would you have a closeup shot of the front? I am not able to tell if the grill has louvers or the exposed honeycomb radiator. The louvered shutters came in 1930 onwards.
Since it is pre 1930, no louvers. The pic from an angle does show the front grill with no lovers without any doubt. Pre 1930 is sure, 1927 is according to the present owner, that is how it was sold to him.
Cheers harit
Old 18th February 2009, 16:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Since it is pre 1930, no louvers. The pic from an angle does show the front grill with no lovers without any doubt. Pre 1930 is sure, 1927 is according to the present owner, that is how it was sold to him.
Cheers harit
No louvers, but they could be missing as so much of it is. Hard to imagine that such deterioration has occurred in such a shot time.

The wire wheels seem to put it closer the 1930. Tried to include some photos and have found a way to reduce them via an email and reducing them and then sending to a holding older,,THAT JUST DISAPPEARED!
These MAC-BOOKS, i am told are real easy, they just forgot to mention once you learn how to use them!
Old 18th February 2009, 17:13   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

John/Harit one other element of the 1929 Buick if I remember correctly was it had 21 inch (or was it 20 inch) wheels

Last edited by DKG : 18th February 2009 at 17:21.
Old 20th February 2009, 18:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
John/Harit one other element of the 1929 Buick if I remember correctly was it had 21 inch (or was it 20 inch) wheels
About the Buicks wheels. When you google or check yahoo images (strange, google can be used as a verb, but yahoo not) for Buick 1927 or 1929, most images have the thick spoke wooden wheels. This applies for both restored and junk cars. Hot Rodded cars excluded. And on this Buick the wheels seem to be original, hub cap and all. So what is it?
It is definitely before 1930, no louvers and they cannot just rust away leaving other parts intact. The fact with the wheels is that many cars supplied in India where fitted with steel rims, not wooden because of the colonial road conditions. I came to know this when I came across a very early Chevy which had disc wheels. I discussed this with Manvendra and he shared this info. So for the colonied many mods were made. Some like Sunbeam even called some of their models Colonial, and another feature was larger than standard radiators. But this does not apply to Lancia Dilambda with Chevy truck wheels .
If I remember correctly, the wheels were 20, that is why the tractor tyres are seen on the car. BTW, how many pre 1930 Buicks are there? One in Vashi- a Limo, one in Delhi- a 6 cylinder dickyseater, one Limo from Mumbai which went on to Hyderabad. These are what I know about, there must be more. Ah yes, the Sanghi King Edward tourer. More??
Old 21st February 2009, 09:54   #11
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
most images have the thick spoke wooden wheels. So what is it?
I've seen another 29 sedan with wire wheels (car is still in Hyd).

In all probability the wire rims were an accessory for Buicks too. I know that was the case on Packards.

Quote:
BTW, how many pre 1930 Buicks are there?
Upadhaya had a car (almost junk) in Nagpur (1928?). My friend Ajit has one in Chennai. The limo you speak of in Hyd is the 29 I've seen.

Of the 1930's model I had seen a lovely original 1930 tourer in Rajasthan. There's another 1930 Buick tourer in Hyderabad

Last edited by DKG : 21st February 2009 at 10:00.
Old 21st February 2009, 11:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've seen another 29 sedan with wire wheels (car is still in Hyd).

In all probability the wire rims were an accessory for Buicks too. I know that was the case on Packards.

Upadhaya had a car (almost junk) in Nagpur (1928?). My friend Ajit has one in Chennai. The limo you speak of in Hyd is the 29 I've seen.

Of the 1930's model I had seen a lovely original 1930 tourer in Rajasthan. There's another 1930 Buick tourer in Hyderabad
Hi! The Upadhaya car is the one now in Delhi. It was almost junk, but in a better shape than the car of this thread. And it was 6 cylinder.
It would be interesting to ask if Ajit's car mentioned by you has wooden or steel spoke wheels. Just for comparison.
BTW, surving pre 1930 Buicks are a very low number!!

Harit
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

It would be great to see pics of the two Buicks that DKG mentioned from Hyd.

I think there was one such car with Capt. Pestonjee's Collection too or is it the limo that was mentioned.

There was another convertible with a prominent jeweller's family in Banjara Hills.

Also there was late 1920's Buick Phaeton with with another collector in Khairtabad. This was a very original Hyd single owner car which belonged to a lady.

Please try to get pics of the cars so that we can all enjoy the same.

If I am correct the early Buicks were offered with a choice of artillery wheels or regular spoke wheels.

Last edited by wasif : 22nd February 2009 at 10:28. Reason: Addition.
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:15   #14
BHPian

I posted a request for information on the Buick Club of America, BCA, and am having a good response.

Have been advised that it is a 1929 MODEL 49 of which only 2,163 were built, of which 633 were for export which is shown by adding the "X". Standard wheels were wood, wire wheels and side mounts extra. This info is from New Zealand.

One of the members in the US has restored one, not sure if is exactly the same, and will be providing information.

THE POWER OF THE NET!
THE WORLD IS INDEED GETTING SMALLER!
Old 28th February 2009, 15:58   #15

Guys,

I am the owner of 28-49 Master Six Buick, that should have been 7 pass touring however somebody made it 7 passeneger limo with divider during times. You can find it at Pepčova osobní stránka

What I see here is
1) the "junk" car is model 1929 Touring, Master serie (have the water return pipe alogside of head), wire wheels are nice extra; these big engined cars were on 121 or 129 inch wheelbases
2) the blue (Swedish?) car is also model 1929 despite looks like smaller (Standard) car on 116 wheelbase
3) the dark red touring seems to me as 1930 model, also of bigger serie
4) B&W picture is another 1929 model

I do not know all the details from top of my head but you can easily get the basic specs of your car from Standard Catalogue of Buick by Krause Publication
Digital Automotive Products - Standard Catalog of Buick, 3rd Edition CD, well worth of USD 20 invested.

Nice project anyway, good luck with it!

Josef
pepcak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks