Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 19:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Isotta Fraschini Cars that graced India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
My grand parents used to tell me that there was an I F in our family in Kolkata. Not bought new though. They always stressed on the fact that the original owner was the silent era Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich. Supposedly had her initials somewhere on the car. Have no clue whether this is correct since I've searched on the net for an I F owned by the actress but nothing comes up.

Prithvi
Marlene Dietrich was said to have had a large IF Limo with an open driver area ....There are pics of it on the net....will try to find them but I am sure that car never came to India.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 22:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My grand parents used to tell me that there was an I F in our family in Kolkata. Not bought new though. They always stressed on the fact that the original owner was the silent era Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich. Supposedly had her initials somewhere on the car. Have no clue whether this is correct since I've searched on the net for an I F owned by the actress but nothing comes up.

Prithvi
Prithvi
this is interesting can you not get any more info. Just came across your earlier posts. But I too haven't been able to find a thing on an Internet search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Marlene Dietrich was said to have had a large IF Limo with an open driver area ....There are pics of it on the net....will try to find them but I am sure that car never came to India.
Wasif I too couldn't find this on the net. Would be nice if you find it and post. Very interesting cos Prithvi has mentioned this earlier too
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2244476
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2684226
Guess no one noticed...
Regards
Old 8th October 2012, 16:07   #18
BHPian

About the I F in our family, I was thinking and after searching the net for a car owned by the actress (nothing turned up though other cars owned by her did) I read that a firm called Lorraine Dietrich bought a controlling stake in the company in the early 1900s and that Lorraine Dietrich later became known as de Dietrich. But the venture with Dietrich lasted only for a few years so what I'm trying to say is that there could have been an I F in the family but I think my grandparents confused Marlene Dietrich with de Dietrich But considering that this association ended in 1910 or so I still don't see much of a link as the car in question couldn't have been that old. Now I'm really confused

Prithvi

Last edited by mbz180 : 8th October 2012 at 16:15.
Old 8th October 2012, 16:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Prithvi
Wow Prithvi thats great news. I know you must have already gone through the rigmarole but if you could dig some more, maybe talk to some old relatives (who were hopefully as enthusiastic as you) maybe, just maybe we could get some more news about this car in your family. You will be surprised what information comes out of unknown quarters. I had an old help in my family who since long retired and left us and is also no more, who used to tell me in great details about the cars my grandfather used to have, including remembering some registration numbers. He was the one who told me about my Family Buick (to the extent that the steering was on the wrong side) and the MG...TC or TD (he didnt know what this meant) but described the car in great about the body, it being convertible etc etc.detail with its registration number BMW...something.

So maybe theres someone in your family who has some long memory of that car. Of course digging out an old picture would be out of bounds i suppose
Old 12th October 2012, 16:50   #20
BHPian

@Prithvi: There is an Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8 which apparently belonged to Marlene Dietrich at the recently reopened Museo dell'Automobile in Turin (Italy). I don't know if there is proof of its provenance or where the museum got it from, a little research would be necaessary. In the meantime you may see:
http://www.museoauto.it/website/en/c...raschini-mod-8

All the best, Daniel
Philedonos is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks