Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:46   #1

The Maharajah of Mysore's Daimlers

Hello to everyone on the Forum.
A friend here in Australia is doing research on the Royal Tour Cars that were purchased from Daimler and bodied by Hooper in 1948 for the 1949 tour of Australia by King George VI. That tour never went ahead because of the King's illness and eventually the tour proceeded, after his death, with the Queen and Prince Phillip. The Australian Government had purchased six large DE 36 cars: three landaulettes, two tourers and one limousine. My friend has recently uncovered information that suggests that one of the tourers and one of the landaulettes were onsold through Hoopers to the Maharajah of Mysore. I believe that these cars may now be in the Bhopilal collection (photos may have appeared previously on this forum). The tourer was repainted at some time in its life black over cream and the landaulette appears to be a rather lurid two tone blue colour scheme now. Has anyone seen these cars and maybe could assist in verifying the circumstances of their purchase and confirm that they were in fact purchased by the Maharajah from Hoopers in London and never went to Australia? Any photos would be appreciated, especially from former years when they were being used by the Maharajah for ceremonial duties?
Cheers, Peter Grant, Sydney, Australia
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
A friend here in Australia is doing research on the Royal Tour Cars that were purchased from Daimler and bodied by Hooper in 1948 for the 1949 tour of Australia by King George VI. That tour never went ahead because of the King's illness and eventually the tour proceeded, after his death, with the Queen and Prince Phillip. The Australian Government had purchased six large DE 36 cars: three landaulettes, two tourers and one limousine. My friend has recently uncovered information that suggests that one of the tourers and one of the landaulettes were onsold through Hoopers to the Maharajah of Mysore. I believe that these cars may now be in the Bhopilal collection (photos may have appeared previously on this forum). The tourer was repainted at some time in its life black over cream and the landaulette appears to be a rather lurid two tone blue colour scheme now. Has anyone seen these cars and maybe could assist in verifying the circumstances of their purchase and confirm that they were in fact purchased by the Maharajah from Hoopers in London and never went to Australia? Any photos would be appreciated, especially from former years when they were being used by the Maharajah for ceremonial duties?
Hi Peter

The Bhogilal collection does have 2 Daimlers from Mysore, at least one (cream with black fenders) has a King George connection, if not both. I remember both being Tourers, but not sure. Let me dig up some pictures.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:28   #3
BHPian

Mr. Veerendra Hegde is restoring one simple I8 Daimler. Says it was the the Mysore Maharajas. It is a limo.
Old 24th February 2009, 08:52   #4

The photo that I have of the tourer is indeed cream and black but the limousine or landaulette is definitely two tone blue.
The 18 HP Daimler may well have been a Royal Car in India, after all, they had a great and roomy back seat and even though they were "smaller" Daimlers they had a wonderful presence with the big separate headlights and the upright radiator grille.
I understand that there is a pre war Daimler Dolphin in India, an open DB 18/1 of 1939, a very beautiful tourer with good performance and comfort. Sadly of the 25 made it is believed that most were destroyed during an air raid on the Daimler factory in 1940.
Thank you for your replies and i loko forward to more comments.
Peter G
Old 24th February 2009, 10:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understand that there is a pre war Daimler Dolphin in India, an open DB 18/1 of 1939, a very beautiful tourer with good performance and comfort. Sadly of the 25 made it is believed that most were destroyed during an air raid on the Daimler factory in 1940.
Thank you for your replies and i loko forward to more comments.
Peter G
For reference here is the page with the Dolphin.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1071978-post67.html
Old 24th February 2009, 15:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter G
The photo that I have of the tourer is indeed cream and black but the limousine or landaulette is definitely two tone blue.
The 18 HP Daimler may well have been a Royal Car in India, after all, they had a great and roomy back seat and even though they were "smaller" Daimlers they had a wonderful presence with the big separate headlights and the upright radiator grille.
Hello Mr. Peter, can we see some pics which you have? Of course if they are for a book, then maybe not, and I will respect that.
The name of this thread suggests Mysore Maharaja Daimlers, but then again it seems to be specific to Royal tour cars. Many of us folks in this collector cars scenario talk about Mysore Bentleys, there were to be maybe 5 such cars present at the Cartier event. But no one really talks about Mysore Daimlers. And he had a lot of them. The large collection in Bangalore, connected to the distillary industry has one, I saw it unrestored. There is another one in Bangalore, also from Mysore and with the family of a person who was an enthusiast but unfortunately passed away. So we have 5; 2 Pranlal, 2 mentioned by me and one more Mr. Hegde. I know that there should be atleast 2 more, but I have to dig where they are now.
Let us discuss all Mysore Daimlers and looking forward to pics.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th February 2009 at 18:46. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 24th February 2009, 19:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
verifying the circumstances of their purchase and confirm that they were in fact purchased by the Maharajah from Hoopers in London and never went to Australia? Any photos would be appreciated, especially from former years when they were being used by the Maharajah for ceremonial duties?
Peter:
Attached are a couple of pictures posted earlier by me in the "Daimlers in India" Thread - post # 7:

Including pictures of the Mysore 1947 Daimler Royale (?) showing the Maharaja and Queen Elizabeth during Her Majesty's 1961 visit to India (source: The Hindu Images) . This is probably the same car that is in the Bhogilal collection

travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:23   #8

The Maharajah of Mysore's Daimlers

Dear Harit,

Oh dear, I saw the pictures of the two car in the Bhopilal Collection only last week on the Forum but for the life of me I cannot find them today!!!
One is the Allweather tourer shown in the 1961 Royal Tour photos kindly posted on the forum in answer to my question and the other is the Landaulette or limousine in two tone blue. Maybe someone cleverer than i can find them on the forum and give you a link direct to them?

Hopefully I have attached a photo of my car taken on 26 January 2009 in Sydney Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maharajah of Mysore's Daimlers-daimler-nrma-2009.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd March 2009 at 11:35.
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps this is what you want.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/909335-post76.html
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A friend here in Australia is doing research on the Royal Tour Cars that were purchased from Daimler and bodied by Hooper in 1948 for the 1949 tour of Australia by King George VI. That tour never went ahead because of the King's illness and eventually the tour proceeded, after his death, with the Queen and Prince Phillip. The Australian Government had purchased six large DE 36 cars: three landaulettes, two tourers and one limousine. My friend has recently uncovered information that suggests that one of the tourers and one of the landaulettes were onsold through Hoopers to the Maharajah of Mysore.
Here is some info from the Daimler DE Register
THE DE-REGISTER

Peter, these may be your own info!!!!

India deserves a few words in its own right. With its wealthy upper class and its UK connection it was logical that a few DE's ended up in this country. The most famous one was HH the Jam Sahib of Nawanagar. He bought within a small time frame four Daimler DE27's. Chassis 51045 (Hooper body number 9187) and chassis 51046 (Hooper body number 9188) are from April 1946 and are DE27 limousines. Chassis 51049 (Vanden Plas body number 4031) and chassis 51050 (Vanden Plas body number 4032) were built shortly afterwards as allweathers. Although these two are also Daimlers, the Jam Sahib wanted Lanchester radiators and he got them. There is a picture on page 676 of Brian Smith's Daimler Days. One of the two allweathers (chassis 51049) was displayed at Pebble Beach USA a few years ago with number plate “Pratapgarh”. The car was taken out of India in the early nineties by Prince Patapgarh. The other allweather (chassis 51050) is in the UK. One of the limousines, chassis 51046, is still in India with the Maharaja of Kutch. He got this car as a gift from the late Maharani of Nawanagar his aunt. The other limousine, chassis 51045 and painted blue, is in the Pranlal Bhogilal collection in Ahemdabad in the state of Gujrat in India in very good running condition.
In addition the Maharaja of Mysore bought chassis 51703 (Hooper body number 9428), an allweather previously used for the Royal Tour to Australia in 1953/54 and built in November 1948. This car is also in the Pranlal Bhogilal collection. The car, painted black, is in very good condition and running. Finally the condition of chassis 51116, a DE27 8-seater limousine with partitioning from November 1945 with Hooper body number 9221, is still unknown.
Old 18th August 2009, 00:50   #11

Quote:
A friend here in Australia is doing research on the Royal Tour Cars that were purchased from Daimler and bodied by Hooper in 1948 for the 1949 tour of Australia by King George VI.
==========
Any photos would be appreciated, especially from former years when they were being used by the Maharajah for ceremonial duties?
Hi Peter, A Daimler DE 27 NO:51078, Ex Mysore, is here in Bangalore, India with a friend of mine, The car is in excellent condition.
Old 18th August 2009, 03:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiaman View Post
Hi Peter, A Daimler DE 27 NO:51078, Ex Mysore, is here in Bangalore, India with a friend of mine, The car is in excellent condition.
Please do convince your friend to share some pictures with us. It will be much appreciated! Cheers
Old 18th August 2009, 12:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Please do convince your friend to share some pictures with us. It will be much appreciated! Cheers
Will see if I have any pictures with me , otherwise I will take some photos and post it, sometime befoe the end of this month. Incidentally, this car has a Pre selector gearbox(Wilson type) that I overhauled in 1974!!
Old 23rd August 2009, 01:48   #14

I have taken some pictures of the Daimler DE 27 today, No idea how to post it,
Old 23rd August 2009, 04:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiaman View Post
I have taken some pictures of the Daimler DE 27 today, No idea how to post it,
This should be helpful - Uploading Photographs directly to Team-BHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks