Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 19:47   #1
BHPian

MB/GPW USA Hood Number

As WWII Jeeps are in discussion I want to ask something all the members who have had experience with WWII Jeeps. Now the MB/GPW/GPA that are found today here in India were bought during the British era. These Jeeps back at the factory (USA) were painted with standard OD color (Lusterless OD Shade #8) and assigned hood numbers (painted in Blue Drab NOT white).

The reason I say this is because I have seen period photos of Jeeps in crate sent for shipment with USA hood numbers still on them so that makes it obvious that when they were bought to India they had the original USA hood number. I believe when these Jeep were bough to India and then were repainted with their hood number removed.

Now if you have seen/posses or have info on WWII Jeeps with the original USA hood number or traces of original hood number, please share a picture or two.

Thanks
Old 8th September 2009, 23:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mathew what you are asking for amounts to looking for hen with teeth.

Boss this is India not the US. Jeeps here have had a hard life and there are precious few that have their original engine / chassis combo still intact let alone hood numbers.

I wish you look bro.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:21   #3
BHPian

I know Wasif but I figured there are lot of folks in this section of the forum that have peroid photo of WWII Jeeps belonging to theie ancenstors. Besides if someone can come up with any kind of info then that will be great. It will make restotration of the Jeeps much easier.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Logically hood numbers would be retained on these Jeeps if they were a part of the US Army.

If the Jeeps we see in India today were actually what the british army was using then they would have painted over the hood numbers on reciept of these Jeeps and painted on some form of ID that was current with their practices.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:24   #5

Hello everybody!

If I remember right, the bonnet no. should be the same as the serial no. ! ?

regards,

tipu.
Old 9th September 2009, 21:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mr. Tipu.

It is indeed a pleasure to have you with u. I have been corresponding with your son Samer and would love to see pics of your Jeeps especially APR 33.

I knew this Jeep well back in Hyderabad in the nineties and have learned much from observing its many facets.

Cheers

Wasif
Old 11th September 2009, 08:56   #7

Hi Wasif,

Thank you! I am, indeed looking forward to being a part of this forum and hopefully be able to contribute as well as learn a lot, from some healthy discussions.

As far as Apr 33 goes, I will put up some detailed pictures as soon as possible. Tell me if there is anything particular that you are looking for ?

The under bonnet FE is missing right now, but I should, hopefully, have one very soon. I think Samir should be putting up some more pictures shortly. He is the 'man with the camera' !

regards,

tipu.
Old 12th September 2009, 00:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipu taheer View Post
Hi Wasif,

Thank you! I am, indeed looking forward to being a part of this forum and hopefully be able to contribute as well as learn a lot, from some healthy discussions.

As far as Apr 33 goes, I will put up some detailed pictures as soon as possible. Tell me if there is anything particular that you are looking for ?

The under bonnet FE is missing right now, but I should, hopefully, have one very soon. I think Samir should be putting up some more pictures shortly. He is the 'man with the camera' !

regards,

tipu.
Dear Sir.

A pleasure to get your responce. Could we discuss thst underbonnet Fire Extinguisher ?

What do you know about it and why and on which Jeeps was it fitted. Its said not to be a OE fitment so how did it come about ot be fitted.

Also what happened to the one on APR 33. This was one of the main features on it that the last owner in Hyd was very proud of. Is it possible to post any details on this that you are aware of and if ant pics of APR 33 with this in place could be obtained and posted.

Some people here on this forun and on another international Jeep forum see to think its a figment of my imagination , this underbonnet FE !!

Last edited by wasif : 12th September 2009 at 00:12.
Old 12th September 2009, 00:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everybody!

If I remember right, the bonnet no. should be the same as the serial no. ! ?

regards,

tipu.
Mr Tipu,

No the hood numbers that were painted on the Jeeps were not the serial numbers. Ever jeep had an unique hood number when they were rolled out of the factory. All though we can estimate the hood number to a close range based on the font & spacing etc of the serial number on the chasis, we can't be always be correct unless we find the orginal number underneath the OD paint.

KR
Rejo
Old 14th September 2009, 20:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
Mr Tipu,

No the hood numbers that were painted on the Jeeps were not the serial numbers. Ever jeep had an unique hood number when they were rolled out of the factory. All though we can estimate the hood number to a close range based on the font & spacing etc of the serial number on the chasis, we can't be always be correct unless we find the orginal number underneath the OD paint.

KR
Rejo

Hi! Ther are two view points, as regards to hood nos. The one being, they were uniquie, from the factory, so they would be easily recocnisable in the field! ? And the other being the serial no.! ?

In my opinion, the first opinion does not seem valid, as AMERICA supplied jeeps to England and allies, BEFORE joining the war!!!!!!!!!!! ????????

It would also be pertinent, to note, that, head and block casting nos. were uniform, throughout production!!! Only the seriaal no. changed! ??

You are absolutely right! " We cannot, allway;s be, correct!

Maybe? we need to do do some more homework? And , then throw some more light on," HOOD NUMBERS"!

regards,

tipu,
Old 15th September 2009, 12:46   #11
BHPian

WWII Military jeeps had Registration Numbers also commonly called hood numbers assigned to them. On Military Vehicles these numbers took the place of and performed the same function as license plates do on civilian vehicles. They are a unique identifier of the vehicles owned by the various US Military branches. How were these numbers assigned? Hood Registration Numbers were assigned by the U.S. military accounting/procurement dept. The military got an authorization to purchase a specific number of jeeps, say 40,000 jeeps for example, so in the contract the military assigned a block of 40,000 numbers to the vehicles produced under that contract. Willys or Ford was then given the contract, and the jeeps were stenciled with a hood number as they rolled out the door at the end of the assembly line at the factory. So it was all specified in the contract that they would have an assigned block of numbers, but there isn't a perfect correlation between the hood number & the serial number because the numbers did not go hand-in-hand.

For example the jeeps might have been parked left to right in numerical order, but the men doing the hood registration number painting might have painted jeeps from the front jeep to the jeep behind it progressing till they reached the last jeep in a column, then they would move to the next row and start painting towards the front. This would have an end result of numbers being assigned randomly, but it close proximity to their serial numbers. This allows for estimations of a jeeps hood number and vice versa for a jeeps serial number when one is known. It's close, but not exact. The only thing for sure is that all Army Jeep hood numbers start with a "20" followed by 6 digits. The "20" indicates it's weight/model classification as a quarter-ton jeep (G-503 1/4ton Reconnaissance Vehicle). The USN (and USMC through the US Navy Dept.) purchased jeeps under their own US Navy contracts. These US Navy contracts did not follow the same "20" + 6 digit (8 digits total) hood numbering system that the US Army used on their Jeeps.

All MB's and GPW's had serial #'s in 2 places - on both Driver & Passenger side of the Hood. On Very Early Production jeeps, the Registration number was also found on the rear body panel, where the gas can goes on later jeeps. I believe if the hood in your Jeep is orginal the best way to look for Hood Registration #s is to use propane torch and a small wire brush (toothbrush size). These items are the best to help in locating the Jeep & Trailer Registration (Hood) Numbers because there is usually some grease, rust, dirt, and several layers of old paint to deal with. Hit the area with the torch until the top layer of paint starts to develop paint bubbles. Then scrub with the brush. Re-apply the heat and scrub till you remove the civilian paint layers. The Factory OD & Blue Drab Numbers are usually very well applied to the paint and with care most if not all of the overcoats of paint on the jeep will flake or peel off revealing most if not all of the Hood Registration Number.

Quote:
In my opinion, the first opinion does not seem valid, as AMERICA supplied jeeps to England and allies, BEFORE joining the war!!!!!!!!!!! ????????
Yes and that would explain why the Jeeps we see here in India don't have the USA Hood Number. Like I mentioned before, once the Jeeps left the factory, they were crated in wooden box (see picture below). It was not the norm. Notice the USA Hood Number on it. This would clearly mean that Jeeps when reached India had the factory Hood number.

Quote:
It would also be pertinent, to note, that, head and block casting nos. were uniform, throughout production!!! Only the seriaal no. changed! ??
Well the below sites explains everything you need to know about the different heads for WWII Jeeps.

Willys Ford go devil engine head
Engine Block and Cylinder Head Casting Numbers
Attached Thumbnails
MB/GPW USA Hood Number-contracts.jpg  

Last edited by mathewJ : 15th September 2009 at 12:55.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:44   #12

Hi!
Your explanation, does seem logical, as far as the hood nos. are concerned. But I suppose we are still not positive about what and why?

As far as serial nos. go the info you have is absolutely correct ! But, I still maintain, that engine and block' casting nos.' were uniform !

cheers,

tipu.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:54   #13

Infact, the different contract nos. and their "time frames", helps to substaniate what Samir has posted earlier about 'conforming', of deseign, as far as willy's and ford were concerned!
Old 6th October 2009, 11:29   #14
BHPian

i got NOS Ford gpw and willys oil pumps in original cosmoline packing any body interested email me at gp150and200@msn.com
Old 9th October 2009, 14:38   #15
BHPian

Can some please confirm if new boxed MB/GPW's where sold in India before the war ended? I have heard army selling them after '45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks