Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:15   #1
BHPian

Triumph CTT 500cc OHV ?

Friends,

Look what I found recently........locally from a place near Mangalore.
The bike was not in use since 1981. Picture speaks more.....please let me know exactly which model it is.

Engine head, headlight, carburetor, one silencer and many many parts missing.

It will be one of the toughest project and any help sourcing parts will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph CTT 500cc OHV ?-triumph-1.jpg  

Triumph CTT 500cc OHV ?-triumph-2.jpg  

Triumph CTT 500cc OHV ?-triumph-3.jpg  

Old 3rd March 2010, 18:07   #2
BHPian

After some reaserch, I found this

1930 Triumph Model CTT 500cc OHV Solo

Does it make sense ?
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:27   #3
BHPian

Congrats Girish: Its missing both the cylinder and the head. It sure gonna be one tough project but what the hell it is not impossible. All the very best.
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Need to find another donor bike to make this happen. Might want to look overseas as well.
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Look what I found recently........locally from a place near Mangalore.
The bike was not in use since 1981. Picture speaks more.....please let me know exactly which model it is.
Engine head, headlight, carburetor, one silencer and many many parts missing.
It will be one of the toughest project and any help sourcing parts will be highly appreciated.
Girish,
Have you actually bought this bike??! Wow, that itself is a really brave step!

It sure is missing quite a lot, as pat mentioned.

Good luck with the resto!
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Congrats Girish: Its missing both the cylinder and the head. It sure gonna be one tough project but what the hell it is not impossible. All the very best.
Thanks Pat, with all help from the experts will make it possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Need to find another donor bike to make this happen. Might want to look overseas as well.
True, any help would be highly WELCOMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Girish,
Have you actually bought this bike??! Wow, that itself is a really brave step!

It sure is missing quite a lot, as pat mentioned.

Good luck with the resto!
Yes, Stanher.......sometime, I , myself think it was a brave step.
Will visit Hyd soon for hunting parts

I know this is the toughest project for me, but as Pat said nothing is impossible and also I am 100% sure all fellow experts will help me in this regard.
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed going to be a challenging restoration and I am not sure you will find a donor bike or similar partis in India.

It is a very early bike and as much is missingit would be a great idea to look on the Triumph bike forums for help.

The consolation is that the major parts like the frame, forks and rims etc are all accounted or.

Does it have any papers or reg no ?

Last edited by wasif : 3rd March 2010 at 20:33.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:20   #8
BHPian

On a lighter note, hope the bottle of Vat69 behind the bike in the first pic was included in the deal to fortify you for the daunting task ahead.
You would have to be either very brave or very stupid to take up this project or like me, both of the above!
Good luck , successful scavenging and look forward to seeing you riding your new acquisition,TRIUMPHantly down the road in the not-so-distant future because it's dreamers like you who can make something out of virtually nothing!
Godspeed!
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That is indeed going to be a challenging restoration and I am not sure you will find a donor bike or similar partis in India.

It is a very early bike and as much is missingit would be a great idea to look on the Triumph bike forums for help.

The consolation is that the major parts like the frame, forks and rims etc are all accounted or.

Does it have any papers or reg no ?
I know it will be quite challenging restoration. I am sure some parts we can find in India.
Already registered in couple of Triumph forums, hope to get some help.

Yes, papers are there, but I haven't seen it, its North Karnataka registered bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
On a lighter note, hope the bottle of Vat69 behind the bike in the first pic was included in the deal to fortify you for the daunting task ahead.
You would have to be either very brave or very stupid to take up this project or like me, both of the above!
Good luck , successful scavenging and look forward to seeing you riding your new acquisition,TRIUMPHantly down the road in the not-so-distant future because it's dreamers like you who can make something out of virtually nothing!
Godspeed!
The VAT69 bottle is modified to pour petrol and connect pipe direct to the filter/carburetor, so no waste of petrol in the tank......we call it as Glucose bottle

You can say BRAVE AND STUPID......let me give a try, if not nothing big to loose.......
We all live in a dream world.

Thanks
Old 4th March 2010, 00:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Girishbhai,

Congrats on your purchase and courage. It is precisely when you buy such junks specially when they are a rare item that all efforts become worth it. If you got a 350cc BSA in this condition, I would say that you sell it for parts. But a rare bike like this, well go ahead and do it. This is the way to obtain valuable stuff at reasonable pricing. No doubt parts and efforts will cost, but this bike in show room condition would cost a bomb.

I have a similar bike. When bought, it was complete. The mechanic dismantled it, lost parts, left his premises due to redevelopment of property with no forwarding address. And no refund of money paid. Sounds familiar?

Well we hunted for an engine and got it 25 years later in Hyderabad at a cost of more than half of what the bike cost me. But now my bike gets done. In between I almost gave up and was willing to part as someone had a suitable but different engine. We have some parts left over, next time in India please meet our common friend in Pune.

BTW, I hope that the registration books will be complete with fitness stamp!!

Cheers on a good purchase. harit

Last edited by harit : 4th March 2010 at 00:25.
Old 4th March 2010, 00:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Girishbhai,

Congrats on your purchase and courage. It is precisely when you buy such junks specially when they are a rare item that all efforts become worth it. If you got a 350cc BSA in this condition, I would say that you sell it for parts. But a rare bike like this, well go ahead and do it. This is the way to obtain valuable stuff at reasonable pricing. No doubt parts and efforts will cost, but this bike in show room condition would cost a bomb.

I have a similar bike. When bought, it was complete. The mechanic dismantled it, lost parts, left his premises due to redevelopment of property with no forwarding address. And no refund of money paid. Sounds familiar?

Well we hunted for an engine and got it 25 years later in Hyderabad at a cost of more than half of what the bike cost me. But now my bike gets done. In between I almost gave up and was willing to part as someone had a suitable but different engine. We have some parts left over, next time in India please meet our common friend in Pune.

BTW, I hope that the registration books will be complete with fitness stamp!!

Cheers on a good purchase. harit
Harit saab,

Thanks for the encouragement......( I was waiting)

Yes, its an rare bike so thought of going for it. As I said earlier, no harm in trying if not nothing BIG to loose.

Very happy to know that you have the similar bike, at least if no parts available can replicate from yours.....

I am already in process of contacting few clubs worldwide and one friend from NZ said he will help his best to find few parts.

Sure will meet the friend and see what he can help in parts.

Yes, the RC book is intact with updated TAX and Fitness......

regards
Old 4th March 2010, 21:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Girish congrats on the purchase. Why do you feel it's an OVH? Did the old owner tell you so? Can you please post a closeup photo of the cam followers?
regards
Old 4th March 2010, 21:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Girish congrats on the purchase. Why do you feel it's an OVH? Did the old owner tell you so? Can you please post a closeup photo of the cam followers?
regards
Thanks.
No we just guessed, that's why asked Tbhp experts of their opinion.

Any ways, we located Chassis and Engine number of the same, will post tomorrow.

Sure, will post more closeup photo's

cheers
Old 5th March 2010, 00:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
regards
Hey deutscheafrikar do you think that it is a sidevalve piece? Because mine is!!

Cheers harit
Old 5th March 2010, 08:11   #15
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Girish on this great find. A 500 cc is definitely very rare. All the best on this project.

Mr. Harit, request you to post the pictures of the similar bike you own. It would be exciting to seeing how Girish's would eventually look.

regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks