Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Even if we dont drive race cars, there are lots of others who drive like one on public roads and at least we should protect our selves against such.
Road safety and safe driving as you know buddy are to be followed under all circumstances. So, not just from rash drivers but at all times it should be followed. One can receive grievous injuries even after being hit by a car/ heavy vehicle being driven at 60-70 km/h.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Was it ever said in the CMVA that women driving 2 wheelers were exempt from wearing the helmets. The rule says that any person driving the 2 wheeler vehicle needs to wear helmet mandatorily. I am excluding college going gals here coz I have seen they are more brasher when it comes to driving and abusing traffic rules.
True, I vouch for your statement. I have seen this situation both in Mumbai and in Delhi. Comparatively, Delhi roads are wider than Mumbai which serves as a potent cause for speeding two wheeler being ridden by girls/ boys. Safety needs to be impartial and the authorities need to be impartial while implementing road safety norms.

Quote:
Bringing a religion to be considered for booking an offence is absolutely a bad move.
This concept is beyond reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
One thing that I have not been able to understand yet is - Why do people in our country have to be chased on like small kids?
Its because people have grown up with age but in terms of road safety they are actually autistic.

Quote:
One's own safety is one's own responsibility. Yet, I see people having a casual and careless attitude towards it.
They ride on the roads with a false belief of being immortal.

Quote:
Seat belts/ Helmets are for our own safety and people should really respect and value their own life rather than police chasing you and enforcing it on you for all little matters. We must understand that cops too have their own limitations. We as citizens need to follow the safety protocol.
Agreed Jasmeet. This change can be brought about when the mindset changes and people understand that the concept of "100 ka patta" won't work any longer. No amount of preaching will help until something gruesome shall happen.

I am hereby re-quoting some lines from a post of mine in another thread;

Quote:
As an individual, I feel this gives a free hand to drivers who in the first place did not adhere to the prescribed speed limits.

With the increase in driving speed I am sure even the drivers in the city shall be using this rule to get away.

There is a saying in Hindi "Niyam laagu hone ke pehle uska torh aata hei" (Before a rule is implemented, an alternative to break that rule is devised).
Now, with the revision of speed limits, following safety measures like helmets for women become even more important while riding. No one knows what may happen the very next moment!

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/news/governm...vehicles-india

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 2nd September 2014 at 13:40. Reason: link added
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

I hate it when humans interfere with how Mother Nature operates, like in this case - Natural selection

The ones that have not evolved, are stupid must cease to exist as the odds catch up to them. Why is time and effort being spent on fools who don't care about their own safety. By not wearing a helmet, only the "future roadkills" are on the receiving end.

The implementation of a proper law around helmets will take a lot if time n effort. First - make it mandatory to wear helmets, then define what is a helmet, what is meant by wearing a helmet properly etc etc. all this to enforce a law for the safety of those who don't care about it to begin with

Not ok with spoon feeding buffoons. They deserve to be scraped off the road with a spoon

Edit - out of curiosity, what part of wearing a helmet interferes with someone following Sikh religion? Men or women, you can cover your head. And not being able to wear a helmet because of turban IMO is just a perceived issue than actual. How else does Manson - the friendly neighborhood mod wear his helmet every time he rides out?

Goes to show, all you need is the will

Everyone - request you to read the article and watch the video in the link below. More importantly please ask the women in your lives to see it is well if they do go riding, be it by themselves or as a pillion

https://rideapart.com/articles/ask-g...very-skin-deep

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 2nd September 2014 at 16:24.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:13   #18
BHPian

As mentioned by many, more than the government and the police, each road user needs to worried. This should be for men, women, rider, pillion and all the other possibilities they can come up with. Basically a two wheeler is meant for 2 and both should have protective gear.

I think, in cases like helmets, safety belts, DUI(alcohol & drugs), overloading/in excess capacity, the other party should be absolved of responsibility and no compensation should be made.

This message should be broadcast on various TV channels with the right images of accidents on a regular basis. All other media like radio and the print can also cascade the same message. The various employers/educational institutions should cascade the same to all their employees/students.

Once this in place for some time, the rules to enforce the same should be removed, and let nature do its job.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

This rule has yet to sink in properly. Here are few examples from various Delhi roads today.

Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders-photo1918.jpg

Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders-photo1919.jpg

Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders-photo1921_001.jpg

Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders-photo1922.jpg

Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:39   #20
BHPian

Unless people know how a good helmet helps them, they'll probably treat this new law as just another nuisance. Many of us wear helmets just to avoid the headache of being stopped by an officer rather than to protect our head. Information, Education and Communication has to spread not only about this new law but also about how it contributes towards Road safety.
Big metros apart, riding safe is something that's not only ignored, but also ridiculed.
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:54   #21
BHPian

in my view, at the end it all comes down to corruption & population.

why? people here are complaining about 2 things (& they are BANG on target)
1) Lack of education.
2) Lack of implementation of Laws.

1) Lack of education:
a) Primary Education is our right, & if i'm not mistaken, the responsibility of the Govt. Even though we have enough funds allocated in the system, plus the extra 'education cess' being levied on everything (by the way, what happened to using the funds collected since it started nearly half a dozen yrs ago) people are not given basic education. Majority of the money is siphoned off, the balance losely used, & 'compulsory' education is not enforced.

Those who are literate, often are NOT educated. Common courtesy loss is disheartening, & for the lack of a better description, with more money in hands for some reason instead of developing ahead, we're taking pride in rude/crass in the name of being 'bindass' or 'desipan'

2) Granted our road laws are at times not upto date, they maybe adequate but even here we need stricter implementation of laws.
I'll take the example of Delhi, Chandigarh & Dehradoon, 3 cities i am lucky to be frequenting often. While in the capital no one stops at the line before the zebra crossings at a red light, in doon i don't think majority of the people know what it's even for. In Chd though, due to the great policing by their traffic police, EVERYONE stops where they are meant to.
Getting away by paying the cop a few bucks (corruption) should also be tackled by stricter implementation of anti-corruption laws.
Also, majority of us get our license by paying the tout a few extra bucks rather than face the BS of the RTO officials.

As far as population is concerned, 'hum do humare do' should be the battle cry. It's natural for chaos, lawlessness & selfish attitude to take over when many have to fight for limited resources.

I'm sorry for such a long post, but the apathy & state of our country sometimes gets the better of me.
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvius View Post
Big metros apart, riding safe is something that's not only ignored, but also ridiculed.
I know exactly what you mean.

On a recent motorcycle trip to Shimla, my wife rode pillion with me. Enroute, we stopped at a railway crossing and had an auto rick next to us. The driver kept staring at us and finally blurted out - Sir, please tell mam no need to wear the helmet. Out here, no fine. So please dont wear the helmet. Be comfortable

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I know exactly what you mean.

Sir, please tell mam no need to wear the helmet. Out here, no fine. So please dont wear the helmet. Be comfortable

Exactly!
people know it's for head safety, but believe it's for avoiding fines (which they anyway wouldn't pay by 'tipping' the 'thulla')
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 00:08   #24
BHPian

Being a Sikh, I find this exemption utterly stupid. I wish some educated females from our community come forward and denounce it publicly. This is just another instance of following religious strictures to the T and not realizing they were written in a different era, the only sensible thing is to move with the times.

Though there is a very tiny number of baptized Sikh females who actually tie something similar to a turban and for whom this exemption might make sense, but I would be surprised if they are even 0.1% of the total.

And this time I do hope that the Delhi police does its checks and Id verification with such frequency that every one thinks better to put on the helmet than get into this nuisance every time they step out.

Last edited by avisidhu : 3rd September 2014 at 00:20.
avisidhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Being a Sikh, I find this exemption utterly stupid. I wish some educated females from our community come forward and denounce it publicly. And this time I do hope that the Delhi police does its checks and Id verification with such frequency that every one thinks better to put on the helmet than get into this nuisance every time they step out.
I agree with you, making a exemption for Sikh women is a way of making them feel left out. God forbid, if something happens on the road, then will the proceedings of that shall take into account that "being a sikh women" she was free from wearing a helmet?

Safety and religion should be seen as 2 different aspects of a person's life. No religion in my opinion advocates any sort of biased opinion regarding the safety of it's followers in any manner.

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
This rule has yet to sink in properly. Here are few examples from various Delhi roads today.

Thanks
In the last image, I think its again a case of 4 people riding the scooter if I am right. In which case they would need at least 3 helmets, since the 4th looks like an infant on the mothers shoulder. The mother herself balancing at the back.

Coming back to the helmets issue, do we need a better example than this, from today's Hindu paper (http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle6374543.ece)

Image from the Hindu News site:
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders-delhirain.jpg  

raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Till now, I felt women escaping the helmet while riding on frivolous grounds to be a joke and at times I laughed at it but today after watching this video of Youtube and listening to the silly reasoning I feel, the offenders need to be dealt with equal seriousness.

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 3rd September 2014 at 14:58. Reason: link is edited! (Video will play in You-tube site)
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:03   #28
BHPian

"Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders."
I dont get it. Has it always been mandatory for men to wear helmets and women were exempt?
May be we are talking about pillion riders here, and making the gross assumption that pillion riders mean women?
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queryanalyzer View Post
"Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders."
I dont get it. Has it always been mandatory for men to wear helmets and women were exempt?
May be we are talking about pillion riders here, and making the gross assumption that pillion riders mean women?
1: Refer to the video above.

2: Women have been dealt with lenience in this regard earlier. It was not statutory for them.

3: For men it always has been statutory as maximum number of 2 wheeler riders (primary one) have been men.

4: Actually not making any assumptions. But its a fact that now majority of pillion/ primary riders are women.

Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 04:26   #30
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders

Delhi Traffic Police fine 5,000 women for not wearing helmet on a single day.

Few excuses from women riders made me do this.

Source link:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/42206597.cms

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Traffic police began their crackdown on women riding two-wheelers without helmets in the city, prosecuting as many as 5,000 violators on Wednesday.

The drive comes a fortnight after the transport department issued an order making helmets mandatory for all women on two-wheelers, with the exception of Sikhs.

"The drive was taken up on a priority basis and any woman travelling without helmets were prosecuted. Sikh women were exempted only when they could prove their identity," said Muktesh Chander, special commissioner, traffic.

According to cops, 1,093 women were fined in central and Lutyen's Delhi area, and 1,300 in south Delhi. More than 850 were challaned around Delhi University's north campus and another 1,500 in east and west Delhi till 8pm on Wednesday.

Police said while most violators readily accepted the Rs 100 penalty, some claimed ignorance about the new rule. A few came up with bizarre excuses. Traffic officials said that women constables were deployed to convince violators about the safety issues that prompted the new rule.

When TOI asked women travelling without helmets about why they were not wearing the safety gear, most of them came up with excuses such as non-availability of helmets suiting their dresses. A few of them even argued with the cops.

"I had gone to buy a helmet from a shop in east Delhi, but the only ones they offered were black and red, which did not suit me. I have ordered a designer one for myself and have to wait for a few days," said Priyanka Gulati, a DU student travelling from Laxmi Nagar to Connaught Place.

A few women asked the cops to pardon them for the day and promised to come back on the same route wearing a helmet.

Tanisha, a student who works as a television actor, was challaned for not wearing a helmet while riding pillion with her husband Manav. She said she came to know about the rule on Wednesday morning itself. "I had gone to buy a helmet at a store in south Delhi but none of the women helmets came with vents. They were really uncomfortable," she said.

Meanwhile, helmet dealers across the city said they were running out of women's helmets as demand had suddenly spiked during the day.

"As soon as the drive against helmets started there were at least 50 customers asking for the same type of helmets, which was impossible for us to supply," said Ashish Jain, a helmet dealer near Karol Bagh. He said that a few women even opted for ones that did not conform to ISI standards to avoid from the challan.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks