Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 12:27   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
KTM removes the head light switch on all models in India. Low beam and parking light will remain on at all times. ]
Hats off to KTM for being the first mover. I'm quite tired of explaining to people that I keep the parking light on intentionally. Hopefully people should get used to seeing lights on all the time as far as KTM is concerned.
anilp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 12:59   #32
BHPian

Re: Safety Measure: All bikes to have 'Auto Headlamps On' feature from April 2017

This should be done on all commuter bikes as well especially the entry level (Hero/Honda - 100 to 125 cc bikes. Most of the commuters on these bikes never care to turn on their light in the evening time until it is pitch dark. Many times I got a scare while driving in the evening and I drive extra carefully. Don't know what they save in terms of battery or fuel cost by not turning on the lights.

I know this will be made mandatory from 2017 onwards but what about the existing bikes, Will they be spared or they have to be retrofitted with such devices?
xs2mayank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 16:45   #33
BHPian

Re: Safety Measure: All bikes to have 'Auto Headlamps On' feature from April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
It is not because the population is lazy to switch it on, but rather lazy/miser to get the non working lights fixed.
I had read somewhere that over 75% of the Indian bikers do NOT have insurance. Perhaps that is the reason for not bothering to get the lights fixed.

In my opinion, this will apply only to new bikes. Retrofitting this onto existing bikes is not only infeasible, it is impossible. There will always be cases of shortage of spares, element of cost associated with this (no manufacturer will provide it for free) and of course, the laziness to go to the service center to get it done.

I'd like to see ABS kits for my thunderbird hit the market soon.
Old 16th March 2017, 13:50   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Every manufacturer started rolling out the new bikes / scooters complying with AHO norm. Attaching the snap from Honda 2 wheelers.

Safety Measure: All bikes to have 'Auto Headlamps On' feature from April 2017-automaticheadlight_faq.jpg

Link
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 13:57   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Every manufacturer started rolling out the new bikes / scooters complying with AHO norm. Attaching the snap from Honda 2 wheelers.
I love the marketing spin!

Firstly, calling it "Automatic Headlamp On", rather than "Headlamp Always On" makes it sound like a cool feature. Yes, my bike has automatic headlamps!

Secondly, they say "no change on bulb performance" - but then clarify in fine print that 'operation hours remain unchanged'.

Wonder if bike manufacturers can do anything cool with the space that has been freed up by the removal of the headlamp switch...
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 14:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2mayank View Post
This should be done on all commuter bikes as well especially the entry level (Hero/Honda - 100 to 125 cc bikes. Most of the commuters on these bikes never care to turn on their light in the evening time until it is pitch dark. Many times I got a scare while driving in the evening and I drive extra carefully. Don't know what they save in terms of battery or fuel cost by not turning on the lights.

I know this will be made mandatory from 2017 onwards but what about the existing bikes, Will they be spared or they have to be retrofitted with such devices?
Not only that, most of these bikes have a very poor headlight throw. All HMCL bikes espoecially. The low beam on my HH CBZ xtreme is very poor and the high beam is a joke.
Old 16th March 2017, 14:22   #37
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
). Wonder if manufacturers can do anything cool with the space that has been freed up by the removal of the headlamp switch...
From Daytime Running Lamps (DRL's) to Automatic Headlamp On (AHO)....Reminds me of the Kinetic Nova acronym...AAHO (Advanced Acceleration and Handling Optimizer)

They could try and install a hazard / park switch. I don't think it would be too difficult.

Last edited by v12 : 16th March 2017 at 14:27.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 09:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

Attachment 1619505

Link
I will be more than thankful if the setup gets changed from AC to DC. Sick of seeing the companies still sticking to the AC set up.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 17th March 2017 at 09:11.
Old 17th March 2017, 09:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Good move to introduce AHOs on Bikes.
I have recently seen so many Royal Enfield owners who put additional square LED lamps on the bike's front leg guard. It looks very stupid and only helps in blinding the motorists coming from ahead. Hope this is also going to be banned soon.

Last edited by hrman : 17th March 2017 at 09:59.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 09:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Good move to introduce AHOs on Bikes.
I have recently seen so many Royal Enfield owners who put additional square LED lamps on the bike's front leg guard. It looks very stupid and only helps in blinding the motorists coming from ahead. Hope this going to be banned soon.
That's a pet peeve of mine too. These Chinese LED light bars et al can blind oncoming traffic. Rules are already in place against such blinding headlights for many decades now. Implementation is where things go haywire though. The state of Gujarat is an example.
anilp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 10:32   #41
BHPian

While the headlamps on is great, I find that most bikes on the road lack rear view mirrors, and the owners fail to put them on probably after they break. And they then turn with impunity putting their own and others life at risk. I hope some law is implemented to keep the safety features in running order.
Old 17th March 2017, 10:42   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I will be more than thankful if the setup gets changed from AC to DC. Sick of seeing the companies still sticking to the AC set up.
Which bikes use an AC system?
Old 17th March 2017, 10:58   #43
BHPian

Poor headlight is a 'standard feature' in most bikes <250cc.

I feel all bikes should come with full DC electricals mandatorily. Along with that, govt should make minimum of 55W halogens with a projector mandatory. I feel a good percentage of two wheeler accidents at night happen due to poor visibility.

My RTR 160 came with ultra terrible headlights which are good for riding upto just 30 km/h. I can't even upgrade the headlamps without doing extensive electrical modification because TVS decided to carry out cost cutting and provided ancient electricals. Can't really count the number of times I have had close calls with speed breakers and pot holes due to poor visibility.

After getting used to the headlamps on the RC 390, I find it scary to ride the RTR at night.
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

My humble belief is that mandating AHO is just another instance of blindly aping western norms without proper application of mind.

The Honda ad posted above rightly refers to foggy, rainy and dusty conditions when AHO would help lessen the chances of accidents. Do we (leave aside the morons) not voluntarily switch our headlights on in such situations anyway?

I must confess that during my daily commute inside the city, I often turn into a voluntary member of the 'hey your headlight is on' brigade. I firmly believe that keeping your headlights on in broad daylight is simply a waste of resources and money - however minuscule they might be. Do we not see 'switch off lights when not in use' signs on/near switchboards? They are there for a reason. You simply can't add more light to sunlight.

On highways, keeping your low beams on is indeed prudent. But it must be understood that the light needn't come from the headlight. A well lit, LED DRL housed inside a yellow translucent glass would have been sufficient. Since it is a DRL and not the main headlight, it could have been designed to be kept always on.

Even though April is still a week away, many newly delivered two wheelers already do not have the headlight on/off switch. The glare from the headlight of a vehicle approaching from the front is proving to be an irritant to driving, specially in the city, on single lane roads.

It is true that we will get used to this glare and the 'headlight on' brigade will be jobless in a few days because of sheer practice.

But what of the energy wasted in keeping the headlights always on; charging the batteries and replacing the bulbs at lesser intervals than before?

I will be happy to see lesser number of accidents as a result of this new rule. But the skeptic in me says that it is unlikely to happen.

Instead, we will see two two-wheeler riders - one with the on/off switch on his ride and the other without- quarrelling; with the first accusing the other of unnecessarily using the headlight and the second berating the first for not .
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 22:38   #45
BHPian

A safety feature I would like to see out there ASAP. Honda & Autoliv should try to get all major bike producing companies on board, providing everyone this technology at minimum profits. This will allow mass production and minimum cost increase per bike.

May Collaborative Heads Prevail (Doubt it though...)
Safety Measure: All bikes to have 'Auto Headlamps On' feature from April 2017-546410hondascootermotorbikeaibag.jpg
Quote:
Honda believes it has come up with a good solution for protecting drivers of compact scooters and motobikes during a head-on collision. It's an airbag system developed through a collaboration with safety systems company Autoliv Inc.
Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks