Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:40   #4081
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Same query as shyamg28, I always had this curiosity whenever I see helmets with attached beak (not sure about the correct term). Wont that push the head back and put pressure on the neck at highway speeds considering the windscreen will not deflect the wind at that point? Or is it aerodynamically designed to prevent that. I think it does helps in reducing fatigue from glare when the sun is directly overhead.

I have seen similar helmets with longer beaks used in motocross and somehow I always relate it to off-roading and motocross but not with highway touring.
Thanks.
As somebody who's been using the Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS helmet for the past few years, what I can say is that well designed helmets are very important in how the wind is handled.
The MX-9 handles highway riding beautifully well. At triple-digit speeds, it's absolutely not a problem in terms of pushing the head back. If the rider were to be looking up at any instant, then yes, the beak would catch the wind and pull back, but ever so slightly.

The benefits of Adv helmets are the more relaxed fit with a lot more breathing space, much better ventilation typically, an immense field-of-view, and that beak providing a bit of shade.

MX & offroad specific helmets typically don't come with visors, and have slightly different shapes.
kaushalswarup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 18:29   #4082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalswarup View Post
As somebody who's been using the Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS helmet for the past few years, what I can say is that well designed helmets are very important in how the wind is handled.
The MX-9 handles highway riding beautifully well. At triple-digit speeds, it's absolutely not a problem in terms of pushing the head back. If the rider were to be looking up at any instant, then yes, the beak would catch the wind and pull back, but ever so slightly.

The benefits of Adv helmets are the more relaxed fit with a lot more breathing space, much better ventilation typically, an immense field-of-view, and that beak providing a bit of shade.

MX & offroad specific helmets typically don't come with visors, and have slightly different shapes.
Thanks for your feedback regarding the beaked helmet. For my riding it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I will try it out but the question is very few dealers have any stock of these helmets and I really want to try one out before I take the plunge. Else, I will have to take leap of faith if I get a sweet deal from FCMoto.de.

Cheers !
minzanurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 23:21   #4083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Thanks for your feedback regarding the beaked helmet. For my riding it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I will try it out but the question is very few dealers have any stock of these helmets and I really want to try one out before I take the plunge. Else, I will have to take leap of faith if I get a sweet deal from FCMoto.de.

Cheers !
If by ‘it’ you mean the Arai XD5, I’d suggest you maybe start with something that’s more easily available here, to understand if you’re comfortable with this type of helmet. LS2 have a few options at different price ranges, and one that’s carbon fibre too. The airoh commander is available too, it’s mentioned here on this thread.
kaushalswarup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 14:06   #4084
BHPian

Quote:
If by ‘it’ you mean the Arai XD5, I’d suggest you maybe start with something that’s more easily available here, to understand if you’re comfortable with this type of helmet. LS2 have a few options at different price ranges, and one that’s carbon fibre too. The airoh commander is available too, it’s mentioned here on this thread.
Sorry, ambiguity is my forte

I meant to say helmets from Arai or similar manufacturers. On Airoh helmets, even I recall the post where someone mentioned Airoh now has ISI certified helmets. I haven't seen Airoh helmets in any of the showrooms I visited so far. Most of the online dealers only have pre-order option.

Last option is to ask friend/relative to carry it when they visit India.
Old 24th April 2024, 15:31   #4085
BHPian

Re: Axxis Wolf DS Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Hello! If you are talking about Outrigger bracket on the googles, I can assure you that it doesn't do much compared to the FOV offered by an ADV helmet with the visor or a normal full face helmet! My LS2 google has the same.

Attachment 2597964
So net net, if I want style I can buy a cheaper alternative, no need to spend big bucks on Barstow or else as I said clear sports glasses is the way to go!!
Old 24th April 2024, 18:11   #4086
BHPian

Here's some good news for the Indian people! The Axor Apex is now ECE 22.06 Certified. Whilst the helmet is heavy at 1600 gms, this brings one of the best safety standards out there to the masses at a relatively affordable price point.

Their website is currently down for maintenance I believe, but their official IG page has confirmed it. Since the Apex also has a D Ring System, its a positive sign for sure!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 00:59   #4087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Cross posting from my ownership thread

Better half picked up this stunning new carbon fiber helmet for herself - the LS2 FF805 Thunder Plus Carbon.
Hi. Do you mind posting the head circumference of the user and the size of the helmet? Also, the LS2 website describes the helmet shell shape as Long Oval. Was that a consideration when purchasing?
Old 25th April 2024, 01:37   #4088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Here's some good news for the Indian people! The Axor Apex is now ECE 22.06 Certified. Whilst the helmet is heavy at 1600 gms, this brings one of the best safety standards out there to the masses at a relatively affordable price point.

Their website is currently down for maintenance I believe, but their official IG page has confirmed it. Since the Apex also has a D Ring System, its a positive sign for sure!
Yes, the Apex series are now coming with the updated ECE 22.06 certification.

I myself picked up the Apex Hex2 in Bangalore, and it’s not too heavy on the head. The price was ₹4,800/- for the helmet, which came pre-installed with a pinlock 30 insert.
The only minor inconvenience I found was that the slide down sun visor seemed to be optically incorrect, having a slight distortion effect.

It’s great to see ‘safer’ helmets at more accessible prices!

Last edited by kaushalswarup : 25th April 2024 at 01:38. Reason: Change of spelling
kaushalswarup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 10:12   #4089
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Apex series are now coming with the updated ECE 22.06 certification.

I myself picked up the Apex Hex2 in Bangalore, and it’s not too heavy on the head. The price was ₹4,800/- for the helmet, which came pre-installed with a pinlock 30 insert.
The only minor inconvenience I found was that the slide down sun visor seemed to be optically incorrect, having a slight distortion effect.

It’s great to see ‘safer’ helmets at more accessible prices!
As an Axor Apex user I can tell you that it might not feel that heavy on the head but aerodynamically it is a very bad helmet. If you are riding a naked with no wind protection once you cross 80kmph the helmet starts moving no matter how snug the fit is. My neck hurts so bad after spending 10-15 minutes above 90kmph. Also, if you shoulder check on those speeds the helmet gives you a whiplash. It is still a very good helmet for the price but I wish Axor start making all round helmets and maybe charge a bit more for them.
scarn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks