Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2019, 23:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Bikers riding with the headlights OFF at night

I think this problem of headlights off is more prevalent in cars ( at least in pune I see a lot) and after some careful observation I have found that the tech in the new cars is to be blamed here.

Basically, older cars or old school cars did not have the instrument cluster lit up until one switches on at least the pilot lamps. Newer cars have the cluster lit all the time, no matter headlamps are on or off. Because of this there is a tendency in newer drivers in newer cars to not realize that head lamps are off. The only indication available to them is the small sign on the cluster which most people wouldn't look at.
Had the cluster been old school, driver would realize the switched off headlamps as soon as it starts to get dark.
Now, in many cases DRLs come to the rescue here. However, DRLs are not a standard fitment across variants, lower variants are more likely to have this problem.

AHL should be made mandatory in cars too, at least for pilot lamps. That would solve the issue to some extent.

Drive safe!
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 00:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I highly doubt this is steeped in any tradition other than the age old classic stinginess inherent in our countrymen. Bulb goes out, no one bothers replacing it.
Oh it gets even better. One needs to "preserve" the battery and the bulb so why use them?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 07:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

It is also true that we are seeing a new evolution of bikers driving with headlights ON during daytime.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:32   #19
BHPian

I have seen in Chennai 3 days ago, a lady driven i10 near shollinganur was without headlights at about 8 PM. I was wondering why the headlights are off. Maybe she forgot to switch on?

On a random basis, I have seen multiple 2/4 wheelers going around with no tail lamps/headlights in city.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

This is an age-old problem and I nearly crashed into an Auto Rickshaw 5 years ago while riding my motorcycle. Just like how some legislation (not judgement) by the SC indicates that modifying speed alert buzzers in cars is illegal, modifying the AHO switch should also be illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Tale of two extremes. You're either blinded by the headlamps, or by the rider conserving them. Disaster waiting to happen in both cases.
Put a gun to my head and I'd have the former. At least I can see him and reduce my speed.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 09:59   #21
BHPian

I too am facing this and also the exact opposite, On coming vehicles always on high beam with additional auxiliary lights which will blind me for couple of seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
It is also true that we are seeing a new evolution of bikers driving with headlights ON during daytime.
That must be the 'automatic headlight on' feature which is mandatory for new vehicles
Old 5th September 2019, 11:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I highly doubt this is steeped in any tradition other than the age old classic stinginess inherent in our countrymen. Bulb goes out, no one bothers replacing it.
I am not sure that is the case; I have noticed that in quite a few cases, neither the tail light is on, and neither does the instrument cluster light seem to be on (which I notice if I am walking).

I believe some of these guys are indeed de-lighted to be a nuisance.
Old 5th September 2019, 11:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
That is an old convention . When the taxis, autos are done for the day, when they are returning home they switch off their headlights.
Curiously enough, the only time I spotted this phenomena was while visiting Calcutta almost a decade back. No taxi driver seemed to switch on his lights while driving during night! I even asked a driver why don't you guys switch on the lights, he just shrugged and smiled.

What you mentioned seems to make sense, thanks for solving a decade old riddle for me
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 11:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
On the odd days I use my bike for commuting I do that. Not the full switch, but atleast the first turn of the knob. I also drive to work on many days, and I realize that it's easy for me to notice bikers in my rear view mirrors when their headlights are on. Hence, I too have started doing the same when I am on my bike.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 13:03   #25
BHPian

Have notice this on the Dodda Banaswadi road(atleast 2 daily) when they are coming in the opposite direction on the Mukunda flyover. Methinks this is to escape the traffic police who are stationed and check for the vehicles coming in the wrong way.

Sigh!What about people like us who can just exclaim and gasp when we somehow narrowly avoid them(definitely some divine intervention at play here)
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 14:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive1987 View Post

Has anyone else noticed this new "menace"?
I believe a majority of two wheelers without headlights are the defective pieces ones. The riders are simply too lazy or too cheap to get them repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Where education & common sense can't keep up, legislation must step in.

AHO (Always/Auto Headlamp On) on bikes should greatly reduce this problem in the coming years, as it's been in place on all new bikes since a while now.

Team-BHP discussion (Safety Measure: All bikes to have 'Auto Headlamps On' feature from April 2017)
Actually I think these kind of lights are a nuisance during daytime, creating unnecessary glare (thanks in no small part due to the block headed riders permanently turning on high beam). Also a load on the batteries when the vehicle's ignition is turned on.
superbad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 14:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think with Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) feature on newer two wheeler, problem is somewhat reduced. Whenever I see people not switching on the headlamp at night, I wonder if they have some night vision capability as people with normal vision would normally require the headlamp
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 15:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This is the Indian way of signalling a fruitful and fulfilled day
I guess this is a way of signalling a fruitful and fulfilled 'life'- a death wish.

On the other hand, I encounter only motorcycles with high beam on plus accessory LED lights installed on crash guards, even in TVS XL, Splendour, blinding those unfortunate souls who cross them, in the roads of Tamilnadu.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 15:58   #29
BHPian

On the contrary, I see two-wheelers are always on high beam. With the new generation scooters, it's pretty annoying for the oncoming vehicles and add those LED lights which blinds you completely.
Old 5th September 2019, 17:42   #30
BHPian

I know some people who turn off the headlights on the ring road (in Bangalore) to avoid cops, the cops who stand on the side of he road checking for drunken driving.

When the lights are on they get to know someone is coming, they go to the middle of the road and catch, in these light off cases they ride fast and coast their bikes making minimal noise and speeding once they cross them.
Lambro is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks