Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 18:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Open umbrella on motorcycle will invite penalty in Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post

My question is - what should two-wheelers do when it rains?
Generally, in Kerala the monsoon starts in the beginning of June and ends towards the end of September every year (of course it is raining even now).

People here who use the two wheelers all the time carry a full set of rain coat (to cover from head to foot) which can be used if there is rain. They cannot afford to wait under a bridge or some other shelter to get the rain over and continue the journey. If that's the case, then they cannot reach their work place of institutions etc. on time.
nairrk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 20:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stopping under a bridge seems to be the best option then.
Bengaluru doesn't have that issue much. Of Course overhead bridges have to face this menace of parked 2-wheelers covering 2/3 of the road, but underbridges generally get flooded at the slightest rain and unless the 2-wheeler rider wants to drown, no one would stop there.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 23:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I'm asking a genuine question arising out of my concern for two-wheeler riders. If you read my post, you'll see that I did mention the clogging up of traffic as the precise reason why that's not a good move. Hence, my question.
They only clog up traffic if they all take shelter under bridges. The expectation under this law seems to be straightforward: stop vehicle, open up umbrella and wait till the rain stops. Or come prepared with rainproof riding gear.

It's the riding with an open umbrella that is being banned.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 23:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Bengaluru doesn't have that issue much. Of Course overhead bridges have to face this menace of parked 2-wheelers covering 2/3 of the road, but underbridges generally get flooded at the slightest rain and unless the 2-wheeler rider wants to drown, no one would stop there.
The place under the metro train lines is the new trend for the Bangalore riders to take a hair during rains. It surely is a problem though.
Old 11th October 2021, 09:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

It's quite an eye opener to see the hazard in something which has been part of life on the roads in KL (perhaps simpler, slower times of the past where we did many things unscientifically).

Among hazards mentioned for the pillion and other pedestrians, it can also hamper (and momentarily blind) the visibility of the rider. I am not even mentioning riders who dedicate one hand (or their neck) to prop up the umbrella for themselves
Old 11th October 2021, 10:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:

My question is - what should two-wheelers do when it rains? Stopping under a bridge seems to be the best option then, perhaps.
Well harsh as it may sound, they should continue to ride, my dad always comments this is herd mentality and stopping anywhere we please is not something anyone used to do till a few years earlier (other than maybe extreme circumstances), now you see traffic situation get from bad to worse because of bikers deciding to block the road and sometimes block a substantial portion of it in already narrow roads. (I feel they will soon make a law against this too)

When you bought a 2 wheeler you knew there is no weather protection of any kind and one should either just accept it or carry raincoats in rainy season atleast. I know this is impractical, annoying and can ruin one's day but think of it, it is no one else's fault that it rained.

P.S: I own and ride a 2 wheeler too, i have been drenched in some cases but that's how it is.
Old 11th October 2021, 10:50   #22
BHPian

Some safer Jugaad ideas for those who dont want to get wet on the two wheeler!
Attached Images

wheeledwanderer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 06:47   #23
BHPian

Re: Open umbrella on motorcycle will invite penalty in Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledwanderer View Post
Some safer Jugaad ideas for those who dont want to get wet on the two wheeler!
In Kerala this will bring much bigger fines under illegal modifications . Jokes apart this seems more dangerous to other road users

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks