Team-BHP - The Riding Gear thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   The Riding Gear thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/42000-riding-gear-thread-220.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullet_chacha (Post 4613227)
Guys.. Need replacement for riding jacket and helmet. Currently using DSG Triton. Requirements as below

Jacket:
*Budget : 10-12k. Currently stuck on Rynox stealth pro
*comfortable for long tours
*close enough to waterproof via internal or external liner
*removable thermal liner
*will be good if it has lots of pocket
*textile construction

Helmet
*budget: 5-6k
*silent
*removable liners
*preference to be given to the ones with flat chin models to better stick action cam mounts.

Comments/suggestions /options welcome

DSG Triton! Back in the day was the only Ladakh ready jacket as it was a full textile construction and was pretty popular in bullet groups due to its robust nature.

I think you mean to refer to the Rynox Stealth Evo V3 touring jacket. It has you covered all round. You should go for it :thumbs up
Highlights:
- Knox Level 2 armor for elbow & shoulder
- Level 2 back protector
- Chest protectors
- Removable Kidney belt for lower back support
- Internal thermal liner
- External rain liner
- Enough ventilation

For helmets please check the helmet thread

MT Thunder3 SV should be a good option with 4 star sharp rating. In addition consider the lids from HJC brand mentioned in that thread.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

A rain gear for your bikes instrument cluster?

Came across this pic when I was reading about Nepal rains, was intrigued to find a rain coat that covered the whole handle bar of the bike, it even had holes for the side view mirror. A transparent visor for the headlights.

Take a look
The Riding Gear thread-raincoat.jpg

Source

I thought this was something unique, home made by that man in the picture, but a google search told me otherwise.

It is called a "Motorcycle raincoat", seems pretty popular in the south east asian region. Some google images.
Name:  1.PNG
Views: 2478
Size:  331.3 KB Name:  2.PNG
Views: 2431
Size:  402.0 KB

With the ongoing season sale, Royal Enfield has a couple of riding jackets available that are for around Rs 4,000. They come with CE protectors (slight difference in protection level between the two, I'll suggest going for the better one) and you can replace the back protector with a certified CE protector for not a lot of money.

At a price of around Rs 4,000, these jackets are absolute steal deals and are perfect for those who are looking for their first riding gear jacket that is light and easy to wear around the city.

Links - https://store.royalenfield.com/colle...g-jacket-black
and
https://store.royalenfield.com/colle...cket-navy-blue

P. S - I have used a Royal Enfield touring jacket for almost a year now and love the quality. I should put up a review on this thread soon, Ive been meaning to but havent got around to it. Many people get turned away from their gear because of the RE logo but the stuff is actually quite good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 4622877)
With the ongoing season sale, Royal Enfield has a couple of riding jackets available that are for around Rs 4,000. They come with CE protectors (slight difference in protection level between the two, I'll suggest going for the better one) and you can replace the back protector with a certified CE protector for not a lot of money.

Yesterday i was at the RE store and was checking out various jackets and the quality seemed good, for 4500₹ minus 20% discount coupon I got with my bike, I was getting a jacket with good level of protection. Even the knee guards seemed good for 1200 bucks.

I'd been using a Rynox jacket for the last year or so but was never completely comfortable in it. Although the jacket was perfectly fine I have a tendency to keep the straps a bit loose for the sake of comfort. There was the nagging feeling that if I did crash, the back and shoulder protectors would move and the protection would be less than optimal. To make matters worse I had deliberately bought a XL size because I felt quite claustrophobic in the L. I had also overlooked the fact that the Rynox Urban jacket does not come with a chest protector pocket.
My first thought was that it was time to upgrade to a better jacket but that would be pointless if I kept buying looser fits. Eventually the only solution that seemed viable was to pick up a separate back and chest protector. A couple of days browsing and I figured that my best option was the Alpinestars Bionic chest protector. It looked like would do the job and keep my innards intact in case I took a toss.
Some more browsing and I zeroed in on bikegear dot in based on a couple of reviews on Tbhp. It took them a little over 4 weeks to get the product across to me and the whole process was fuss free. If you're not in a tearing hurry these are the guys to go to for riding gear and accessories.
I haven't yet ridden with it but I'd say its the perfect thing to wear on rides under a jacket. A slim guy could probably wear it without a jacket if he chose to but I look silly with just the protector on.
Will update after I use it for a bit.

The Riding Gear thread-img20191023wa0002.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img20191023wa0003.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinnerr (Post 4621695)
A rain gear for your bikes instrument cluster?

Came across this pic when I was reading about Nepal rains, was intrigued to find a rain coat that covered the whole handle bar of the bike, it even had holes for the side view mirror. A transparent visor for the headlights.

Take a look
Attachment 1894850

Source

I thought this was something unique, home made by that man in the picture, but a google search told me otherwise.

It is called a "Motorcycle raincoat", seems pretty popular in the south east asian region. Some google images.
Attachment 1894852 Attachment 1894853

In terms of safety - aren't these type of covers totally useless and more dangerous. Imagine an incident where you just slip and slide away, you are supposed to let go of the bars and detach yourself from the motorcycle. Such a cover will ensure you are dragged along with the motorcycle and cause more hurt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy.S (Post 4681485)
Some more browsing and I zeroed in on bikegear dot in based on a couple of reviews on Tbhp. It took them a little over 4 weeks to get the product across to me and the whole process was fuss free. If you're not in a tearing hurry these are the guys to go to for riding gear and accessories.

Seems like a good protector for the back and the front, how much does it cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesyeswe (Post 4682170)
Seems like a good protector for the back and the front, how much does it cost?

Cost me 13k on the bikegear site. In case you intend to pick this up go to the Alpinestars website and use their size chart.
This is CE level 1 for the back, chest and shoulders. I used it under a mesh jacket for a short spin and its quite comfortable to ride with. The shoulder protectors take some getting used to. I took them off but the CE 1 alpinestars protectors inspire more confidence than the CE 2 Powertector inserts I bought from Rynox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell (Post 4612081)
I am exactly in your boat. We're you able to decide?

Yeah I ended up buying a Scala Marvel. I got a good deal too on it. I have used it for a handful of rides(300-600 kms). From the comfort point of view it seems to be good. The rain liner wasn't the best in heavy rainfall but I guess they are not meant for heavy rainfall any which way. Zippers and stiches are good but it's too early in time to comment on it.
Overall, I will recommend this to anyone looking for CE L2 jacket at that price point .

Hey Peeps,

MonaroCV8 and myself picked up this Alpinestars Wake Air jacket last weekend mainly for summer and long rides.

The jacket possesses extensive mesh panels for improved internal air cooling and CE certified protection at Chest, Shoulders, Elbows and back.

The Wake Air Jacket is dialed for sport riding performance.

The Riding Gear thread-f3625f408a214b648ebfcd7b5130c244.jpeg

We also picked up Alpinestars Masai and SP X Air Carbon gloves respectively which are our backup gloves for short and city rides.

The Riding Gear thread-5488d6403ae24ca8a1a28813bf823f19.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-c89b9a80af6846ef9743865d5363e4e8.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-ef628a1da37b42bba39c57ff732f4efb.jpeg

Cheers
Amey

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni (Post 4687008)
Hey Peeps,

MonaroCV8 and myself picked up this Alpinestars Wake Air jacket last weekend mainly for summer and long rides.

The jacket possesses extensive mesh panels for improved internal air cooling and CE certified protection at Chest, Shoulders, Elbows and back.

Thanks for the post. :thumbs up

Also a point to note is that the CE 1 Armour can be upgraded to D3O armour, which is what is in the next upgrade plan:)

Last year in June I picked up my first pair of riding gloves, the Shima Xbreeze. I'm not a regular rider but have used it for a little over 4k km and can't say that I am entirely satisfied with it. The glove does not show any evidence of being a badly put together product but it has become somewhat scratchy and uncomfortable. The non leather bits seem to be wearing out faster than they should. Although they look great I would not recommend Shima gloves. Another interesting thing was that when I looked at the tags it turned out that they were manufactured in a neighbouring country to the west that we don't get along with.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy.S (Post 4417389)

5 min and some rummaging and he managed to get a Shima Xbreeze in M for 4k. The glove looked great and felt better.

Recently picked up the RevIt Eclipse in black to replace my Rynox Air GT (v1) and a pair of Held Sambias (I had shrunk my previous pair in the wash and was using my backup Cramster Blasters) in white and black.

The Rynox started giving up around the 25-30k mark with various zippers going and the runners breaking. Not bad for an Indian jacket at that price to be frank. The Held had lasted a full 35k before I shrunk them. Otherwise they would've gone further easily.

Anyway, I'm looking to put plenty of miles on this set of gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanenanigans (Post 4694034)
Recently picked up the RevIt Eclipse in black to replace my Rynox Air GT (v1) and a pair of Held Sambias (I had shrunk my previous pair in the wash and was using my backup Cramster Blasters) in white and black.

The Rynox started giving up around the 25-30k mark with various zippers going and the runners breaking. Not bad for an Indian jacket at that price to be frank. The Held had lasted a full 35k before I shrunk them. Otherwise they would've gone further easily.

Anyway, I'm looking to put plenty of miles on this set of gear.

I had a look at the HELD sambias today.

Were you happy with the way the stitching overextended outside on the fingers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 4694043)
I had a look at the HELD sambias today.

Were you happy with the way the stitching overextended outside on the fingers?

Yeah I'm quite happy with them. Easy to fix if the stitching comes apart.