Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 15:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

To clean the visor, I find something like dashboard polish (I use F1) works much better. It even seems to bead off water well in the rains. Colin won't do that.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:13   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost
Replace your helmet every 3 years.
I think, it's 5 years & not 3 years if no accidents have occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587
To clean visor i use Colin
Use car Glass cleaning liquid like Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
To clean the visor, I find something like dashboard polish (I use F1) works much better. It even seems to bead off water well in the rains.
have you really tried this during rains ? Is dashboard polish effective during rains ?
Old 17th July 2009, 14:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes I have tried it. Its definitely better than using just a cleaner like Colin. Better still, you could try something like Rainx (which is supposed to bead water from car windshields). Haven't tried that myself yet, as I don't have a bottle right now. But I guess its worth trying if the rains are a problem...
Old 19th July 2009, 21:59   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Yes I have tried it. Its definitely better than using just a cleaner like Colin. Better still, you could try something like Rainx (which is supposed to bead water from car windshields). Haven't tried that myself yet, as I don't have a bottle right now. But I guess its worth trying if the rains are a problem...
The glass cleaners are not effective. I've checked it myself on my helmets during the rains !

I'll experiment dashboard polish myself since it's monsoon here !
Old 20th July 2009, 02:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread

I have used colin for wiping the helmet from outside and washing the padding every few months

And i never shared my helmet with anybody except a couple of time when i was studying.

Most of us indians use hair oil which also makes the hemet dirty from inside and lot of pollution and dirt on top of that.

So good cleaning is a must and change the visor every year, it doesnt cost abomb but really helps during nights.
Old 20th July 2009, 07:52   #21
BHPian

How do you wash the padding inside the helmet?
Old 20th July 2009, 11:10   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
How do you wash the padding inside the helmet?
If removable the simply remove and wash with mild detergent.

Else, buy a new helmet with removable padding.
You can try using a sponge and giving the inner lining a sponge bath.
Old 20th July 2009, 21:39   #23
BHPian

Thanks bblost, i was planing to remove the inner lining completely and put on new foam. Is it advisable?
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:49   #24
Team-BHP Support

Depends Srikant, How old is your helmet btw.

Some people suggest we replace the helmet every 5 years. I prefer the 2~3 year time period.

If your helmet is old enough, why not simply replace it with a new one that has detachable lining.

I would not recommend replacing the inner lining. Because you will need to use glue to stick it. And I don't know, which glue is safe to use.
Since a glue is a chemical and it may deteriorate the inner layers of the helmet.

I have read that sticking vinyl stickers on the helmets can also cause this deterioration.
Old 24th July 2009, 00:26   #25
BHPian

My helmet is Studs brand with the front completely opening up. Its just a year old, but since its used very rarely the inside is dirty. Since its not used much as i drive car most of the time, just did not feel like going for a new helmet.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:23   #26
Team-BHP Support

I keep my helmets wrapped in a cloth bag.

Clean the helmet using a mild soap solution. Dry it well. And store in a cool dust free environment.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

+1 to BBlost.I too pack my helmets in a cloth and store them on the attic.
As far as cleaning is concerned,I used a wet cloth and one a year give a wax polish,if time permits.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:44   #28
BHPian

When the rains started , i used to leave my helmet on the bike lock . it got dirty and stinky.
What i did was put the complete helmet in a bucketfull of water. put a mild detergent . a few capfulls of dettol and left it for a few hours.

after that i remvoed the helmet. dried the inside lining with a cloth and left the helmet to dry in sun. the helmet smelt much better and cleaner.

Once the monsoon started showing its force , my bike has been parked away for a while. and helmet wrapped up in a plastic bag and end sealed.
Old 2nd December 2011, 06:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost

If removable the simply remove and wash with mild detergent.

Else, buy a new helmet with removable padding.
You can try using a sponge and giving the inner lining a sponge bath.
Hey BBLOST.

My sparingly used GPR that was put away safely for 2 yrs, has a bit(a little more than bit) of fungi growing in it and I'm considering the detergent and wash thing before it starts growing teeth. Don't really fancy buying a new one especially since this one fits me just right.

I'm not really hoping to go bald anytime soon. Assuming that the detergent kills the fungi, would you say that the helmet will be safe for use after ?
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:55   #30
BHPian

Re: How To: Clean your motorcycle helmet

Picked up a Vega Boolean in matt black recently. The surface seems to be quite resistant to any sort of mild detergent and cloth/sponge scrubbing. Visors I clean with a cotton swab and Colin. Works brilliantly to resist rain and dust, although it needs to be done atleast every 2 days. Anyone know how to get grime off the matt surface? And do these removable liners have just a yank-to-remove mechanism?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks