Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2016, 10:15   #21451
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It was nearly me today.

Halfway through turning the car in a road, I was looking right as a biker came from the left. I was occupying most of the road, but still he whizzed through fast as I was moving forward. It was a hair-breadth thing. Only the shout of my passenger saved him.

Yes, I should have looked repeatedly both ways. None the less, what the biker did was close enough to attempted suicide to leave me feeling very shaken. I bet he didn't even notice
One usually only looks in the direction of the normal flow of traffic while making left turns on one way roads but our smart compatriots driving in the wrong side of the road don't know and don't care. I was a passenger in a car which hit a TVS 50 speeding on the wrong side of the road. The car driver was looking to his right while turning left onto a divided road from within a restaurant compound. Damage of course to the car was more expensive and some scratches to the two wheeler rider. Best part of all having to argue that he shouldn't be given any compensation, forget about getting any compensation from him.

Have had many near hits in the past few days with bikers coming too close to the car suddenly especially near turns and not seeing the indicators and of course wanting to go straight when the car is turning left or right even with indicators switched on sufficient distance ahead and after slowing down and getting into the appropriate lane.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 15:39   #21452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... a biker came from the left. I was occupying most of the road, but still he whizzed through fast as I was moving forward. It was a hair-breadth thing. Only the shout of my passenger saved him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
@ Thad - likewise an exactly similiar incident happened to me yesterday except, a cyclist lady instead of biker and I happened to see her orange saree faintly and brake. The time was at dusk with cloudy sky. God saved my day.
We were both lucky.

My passenger was god for me! Coincidentally, I had just met the sister of a friend, whom I knew to be a young trainee lawyer. I commented that such professionals must get fed up of being asked for free advice at social functions. She charmingly said, no not at all, don't hesitate if you need, but I hope you don't as my practice is mostly criminal law.

Next time we meet, I will get her card and keep it in the car!

Back home, my wife, who I found to have had her own accident, a bruising tumble in the road, asked me if I had shouted at the biker. It all happened in half a second and he was long gone half a second later. Some like him might have had the audacity to shout at me, but I really suspect that he was oblivious to the risk he had taken.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 18:24   #21453
BHPian

A few days back on my way to work on NECE Bangalore, the bend after Banerghatta Exit on the way to Hosur road. I flash my headlight and the trucker in front puts his left indicator and moves to the left lane. Seeing the left indicator I move in for an overtake waiting for the truck to clear the dotted line since it was a bend (and even otherwise). Hello, comes a bright red Brezza, blatantly from the opposite direction and clearly surprised by the Yeti in it's path. Speeds above 70 kph. A quick left saved the day. If it was a truck instead of this car, it would have been Bye Bye Brezza.

I fail to understand that people have the money to buy a nice car but not the sense to drive it on the correct side of the road even if it means driving a few kilometres extra and a few bucks in Toll.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 19:59   #21454
Senior - BHPian

We were driving from Bangalore towards Mysore earlier today. After crossing Channapatna, we saw a badly damaged Skoda car and a Mahindra Bolero police car with minor damage. Has anyone got information about this accident?
Old 13th August 2016, 23:46   #21455
Senior - BHPian

Another bike accident claimed 2 lives on Bangalore BETL. Looks like bike hit a stationary mini truck around 7.30 PM today.
Old 14th August 2016, 08:22   #21456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
We were driving from Bangalore towards Mysore earlier today. After crossing Channapatna, we saw a badly damaged Skoda car and a Mahindra Bolero police car with minor damage. Has anyone got information about this accident?

http://m.deccanherald.com/articles.p...l-vehicle.html

The driver died as the car toppled after hitting the patrol jeep.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 00:34   #21457
BHPian

This happened on the road to kinnaur today. A truck veered off the road and got stuck. The road is still closed. http://www.uniindia.com/vehicles-str...ws/590843.html
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1471201262104.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1471201373524.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160815_004012.jpg  

Last edited by bullrun87 : 15th August 2016 at 00:52.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 10:34   #21458
Senior - BHPian

That's a road?! How on earth did the truck not capsize into the gorge?
Old 15th August 2016, 10:47   #21459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Some sections of this highway are just terrifyingly narrow. The incessant rains over the last week or so made it worse . The driver is lucky that his truck somehow got stuck on the edge.
Old 15th August 2016, 11:38   #21460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Looking at the slippery road, it is possible that the truck veered off the course because of skidding caused by sudden and strong braking. Fortunately, before falling into the gorge, it came to rest.
Old 15th August 2016, 12:15   #21461
Distinguished - BHPian

Very lucky! As soon as the left wheel went off the road, the axle and right wheel must have immediately broken and grounded the front firmly on the cliff edge. Any further and it would have gone straight down!
Old 15th August 2016, 13:08   #21462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Couple of comments:
1) If possible, always walk facing the traffic. In any case, walk at the very edge, for better chance of not getting hit.
2) After the accident, he lay like a drunkard who has passed out. Usually nobody bothers such persons and that could be the reason for the apathy from people.
It looks like there was some sort of a footpath but the pedestrian ignored it and walked on the road. It makes me angry and baffled when I see wide and empty footpaths while people are needlessly walking on the road. Yes, there are places where the footpaths are obstructed or dirty but it is better to try and use the footpath or the edge as much as possible and only step on the actual road briefly with caution when needed. Sometimes you can go between parked vehicles and the road edge and shield yourself from the traffic but most people don't seem to think that walking on the road is dangerous at all. Instead of assuring their own safety, they leave it in the hands of the drivers. Some people even sit on the road or park their car and walk around as if they were in a garden and not on a highway.

I wonder why there is so little attention paid to ensuring that at least the main roads should have clear footpaths? No one, not the authorities, nor the pedestrians or even the parents of children walking on the roads because the businesses have encroached the footpaths seem to care about this at all.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 20:13   #21463
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Someone sent these pics of an accident in Noida.

Driver swerved to avoid a biker who suddenly came in his path and hit the divider. Car then moved to the left, hit the footpath and rolled. People rushed to help and pushed the EcoSport back up. Driver suffered injuries.

Airbags didn't activate.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160809wa0001.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160809wa0002.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160809wa0003.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160809wa0004.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160809wa0005.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160809wa0006.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160809wa0007.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160809wa0008.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160809wa0009.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 20:27   #21464
Senior - BHPian

The EcoSport seems to be a total loss case, with the chassis deformed and front having suffered heavy damage.

I wonder what must have been the speeds at which it was travelling to have suffered so much damage. This certainly does not look like city speeds.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 20:40   #21465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The EcoSport seems to be a total loss case, with the chassis deformed and front having suffered heavy damage.

I wonder what must have been the speeds at which it was travelling to have suffered so much damage. This certainly does not look like city speeds.
Noida has very wide and good roads. Many roads are like an expressway. Normal speeds can be around 50 to 60 and irresponsible folks can easily touch 100 on these roads.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks