Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 00:32   #25846
BHPian

Don't know if this belongs in this thread but please give a dekko guys...
https://m.facebook.com/thisblewmymin...869931/?type=3
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 03:44   #25847
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Don't know if this belongs in this thread but please give a dekko guys...
https://m.facebook.com/thisblewmymin...869931/?type=3
Looking at the pics it looks more like a foreign country. As far as I know in most of the foreign countries, a question will be there while giving your written test for drivers license about this topic. Atleast I know that I have studied that when I cleared my written exam here in US. We are not supposed to use the cruise in wet conditions. It is one of the serious hazard and the result might be catastrophic.
Old 1st March 2018, 13:33   #25848
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing pixantz

I did not know of this guys I consider myself to be a fairly sensible and safe driver yet never knew that this is a thing. Can anyone explain the physics behind this phenomenon? I tend to use cruise control a LOT especially on road trips on good known highways like Bangalore-Chennai or Hyderabad-Bangalore I remember even using cruise control once on a very rainy afternoon while on the way to Bangalore from Hyderabad (took full control of the car once I felt extended periods of aquaplaning and realized that we still had to make up a lot of time) shudder to think that this could have happened
Old 1st March 2018, 16:37   #25849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Yes, I won't drive behind that tractor rather drive alongside and complete the overtake after the junction.

I know an accident can happen any time, that thought makes me drive more defensively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
With so many RISKS you have to be 100% alert.

Keep up the safe driving.
Guys its great that you are in the habit of driving defensively. It is laudable indeed.
However, I still give the benefit of the doubt to the car driver because of the following reasons:

1. I see traffic signal lights at the junction. The car and tractor drivers might be having a green light.

2. If the traffic signals are not working (as is the case in many places in India), there is the traffic cop right there. He might have given a go signal to the traffic going in the same direction as the car and tractor.

Therefore I put the blame entirely on the bike rider.
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 03:44   #25850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Thanks for sharing pixantz

I did not know of this guys I consider myself to be a fairly sensible and safe driver yet never knew that this is a thing. Can anyone explain the physics behind this phenomenon?
Here is the explanation for that. Please avoid using cruise control in wet road conditions.

https://lifehacker.com/why-you-shoul...ain-1572057920
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 13:05   #25851
Distinguished - BHPian

That article seems confused as to what hydroplaning even is. Not surprising: most people are!

None the less, I guess it is possible that it still arrives at a correct conclusion. More information needed!
Old 2nd March 2018, 13:43   #25852
BHPian

If the speed sensor is in the front wheels, and in the event of aquaplaning the sensor will read higher speed than set which should see the cruise control roll back the throttle, additionally in the event of aquaplning we would tap the brake definitely which would lead to the cruise control getting cut off. Im kinda confused here.

here is another read on this - https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-d...nd-aquaplaning
Old 2nd March 2018, 14:30   #25853
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... Bottom line, maybe, is that cruise control is no substitute for driving the car. By that I mean being in control.
Old 2nd March 2018, 19:46   #25854
Senior - BHPian

I just checked the user manual of my car and it says:
Quote:
For safety reasons, do not use the ACC under the following conditions.
■ When driving in turning lanes, motorway exits or construction sites, to avoid
an unwanted acceleration to the stored speed.
■ When visibility is poor, (e.g. fog, heavy rain, thick snowfall).
■ When road conditions are poor (e.g. ice, slippery road, gravel, dirt road).
■ When driving around “sharp” bends.
■ When riding on a steep gradient / high slope.
I have to admit that I have not paid attention to this before. I have used (adaptive) cruise control quite extensively in all weather conditions including rain and snow (as long as I felt safe doing so). I have not had an aquaplaning situation in the car. But, there have been a few situations on slippery roads where the ESC had to intervene. I have observed that in these situations, the cruise control automatically gets disabled.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 23:12   #25855
Senior - BHPian

A recent news from Himachalpradesh.

Eight killed as Innova carrying devotees skids off road, falls into gorge near Swarghat

Quote:
Eight devotees from Punjab were killed when a private vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a gorge on the Chandigarh-Manali national highway in Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh on early Friday
News Source : http://www.timesnownews.com/amp/indi...vehicle/204017
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:02   #25856
Senior - BHPian

One more case of an accident due to drunk driving As per the news, the occupants of the car were requesting the driver to stop speeding, but he didn't listen.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/pune-...oAHzQ1b8O.html

Pic from the Hindustan times page.

Old 3rd March 2018, 21:02   #25857
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2018 at 08:30.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th March 2018, 19:46   #25858
BHPian

Judgement error, undue haste or no regards for simple traffic rules?

Here is an accident I witnessed along with some family members at the busy Dhaula Kuan crossing in Delhi.

The scooter driver (appearing at 00:25), as usually many drivers do, jumped the stop line and went over to the median. There were minimum three passengers on the scooter, two of them wearing helmets, open type, as far as I remember. The scooter driver might have seen the traffic signal turn green at the same moment when he decided to cross the carriage way and go towards Delhi Cantt. side. The car driver, surely wanting to take advantage of the last second of the amber signal, drove as if there there's no tomorrow.

One kid was flung off at least 10-15 meters from the collision spot, and had head injuries. The man driving the scooter was badly hurt and went unconscious. Ambulance arrived within 5-10 mins of the accident from the Cantt. side.
ManishSoni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 12:16   #25859
Senior - BHPian

Couple of days back there was an accident in North Kerala district where a pick up van rammed onto a few school children and one little girl died, and leaving others critically injured.

Quote:
12-year-old girl dies as van rams into students in Cherupuzha
By Express News Service | Published: 02nd March 2018 03:19 AM |

KANNUR: One girl was killed and four others were injured when a van rammed into a crowd of school students walking to a bus stop at around 3.30 pm in Cherupuzha on Thursday.The victim has been identified as Devananda, 12, a Class VII student of St Joseph’s English Medium School.

The accident took place when the girls were walking to the bus stop near Cherupuzha Ayyappa temple after writing the examination, which had started on Thursday.According to witnesses, the overspending van rammed into the students who were walking on the pavement.

When locals rushed the injured students to a hospital in Cherupuzha, they were advised to take them to Payyannur. But they were unable to save Devananda’s life.Those who suffered injuries are Arya, Jumana (both from Vayakkara), Alphiya and Aktha (both from Korangadu).

The body of Devananda, daughter of K P Ratheesh and Salini, will be cremated at their house in Peringome. She has a sister, Alakananda, who studies at the same school.
The CCTV video of the same:-

How sad!

Old 5th March 2018, 17:33   #25860
BHPian

Came across this today:

Quote:
Surveillance footage from Gujarat's Morbi shows a speeding car losing control at a turn. As the driver loses control over the steering, the car crashes into a pavement outside a petrol pump. The car, which was seen coming in at full speed, turns upside down as it hits the pavement and drags along the concrete. To everyone's surprise, just a few seconds later, two men are seen coming out of the toppled car, appearing unhurt.
Seems like both were wearing seatbelts

Watch the video here:
https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/watch-i...ome-topstories
onedotsix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks