Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 12:24   #2761
BHPian

@prince_pervez, yeah.. its a tree trunk on which this Esteem is resting :-)

Currently, this concrete road is under construction (since last year.. normal routine for PMC here) & hence no road divider-markings yet.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:25   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was he doing driving on the center of the road?
Well, this section of paud road has been converted to concrete road 6-8 months back. Road authorities didn't move/cut the tree which was previously in the road divider. Few months back, tree branches were cut leaving only the trunk in middle of road. And, due to ongoing conversion (tar to concrete) for past 2 years on paud road, no road dividers have been placed yet. Local daily had mentioned this tree as potential accident spot just few days back. This kind of accident was just waiting to happen.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:48   #2763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
What was he doing driving on the center of the road?
You meant to ask the tree, didnt You?
Old 10th July 2009, 13:03   #2764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Road authorities didn't move/cut the tree which was previously in the road divider. Local daily had mentioned this tree as potential accident spot just few days back. This kind of accident was just waiting to happen.
The owner can sue the corporation for damages right? But getting a penny out of them is something else in reality.

The least they could do is place reflectors around the obstructive matter.
Old 10th July 2009, 23:03   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Well, this section of paud road has been converted to concrete road 6-8 months back. Road authorities didn't move/cut the tree which was previously in the road divider. Few months back, tree branches were cut leaving only the trunk in middle of road. And, due to ongoing conversion (tar to concrete) for past 2 years on paud road, no road dividers have been placed yet. Local daily had mentioned this tree as potential accident spot just few days back. This kind of accident was just waiting to happen.
This is actually second accident of the same type that I have observed (might have been plenty before).
In the first one, a Mumbai registered Ford Ikon had similarly climbed this very trunk. It was also raining yesterday when it happened. So poor visibility+new road (for the driver) must have done it in. The driver was actually a senior looking gentleman.

A couple of days ago, on the same stretch of road , an Innova had crashed down the unfinished portion of the road by its side. The concrete road is at an elevation, and the guy must be attempting to park at the side of the road in a poorly lit section, not realising that the road ended much before he expected. Same case with a NHC, same road, opposite side, a few weeks ago. Both had considerable amount of damage, thanks to PMC. The road was supposed to be complete before the CYG last year. And now I read that they wont be complete before the middle of next year (election funding!). And the overall quality is no great shakes either.
Old 12th July 2009, 01:51   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
\not bad at all.. i think this theory might help me kool down a little bit...
Old 13th July 2009, 11:29   #2767
BHPian

Feel very bad for the esteem and the unknown senior looking gentleman, apart from having a bit damaged car, the person also is at the receiving end of laughing passer-bys and giggles the car generates. These kind of inicidents are bizarre and makes u laugh and at the same time feel that you should be more careful while driving.
Old 13th July 2009, 13:46   #2768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu_engg24 View Post
This is what happened on Paud road, Pune last night. One of my frnds shot these images.
(Sorry for image quality, shot from mobile cam while driving)
Well, this is not a first time. I have seen the same thing happened with one car last year around same spot. IIRC it was Ikon last time. I wonder if it is the same tree or different one this time. This states the pathetic road conditions we are facing in Pune.

Last edited by Bouncer : 13th July 2009 at 13:48.
Old 13th July 2009, 14:42   #2769
BHPian

Helmets are absolutely necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Perhaps he wore one but not the full face helmet.
No buddy. I wasn't wearing a helmet. The accident happened in Pune and helmets are not compulsory in Pune. Till the time I was in Pune I always considered helmet a huge burden to be carried around and taken care of. In fact, everyone in Pune has the same attitude towards helmets. Now that I am in mumbai, I have to wear helmet because it is compulsory.

But having the first hand experience of NDE (Near Death Experience), I cannot stress more on the importance of wearing helmets.
Old 13th July 2009, 15:40   #2770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
No buddy. I wasn't wearing a helmet. The accident happened in Pune and helmets are not compulsory in Pune. Till the time I was in Pune I always considered helmet a huge burden to be carried around and taken care of. In fact, everyone in Pune has the same attitude towards helmets. Now that I am in mumbai, I have to wear helmet because it is compulsory.

But having the first hand experience of NDE (Near Death Experience), I cannot stress more on the importance of wearing helmets.
Good for you. Do wear the full face helmet because I've seen an accident with pretty bad facial injuries to a guy who wore a helmet but not the full face one.
Old 13th July 2009, 15:45   #2771
BHPian

Have anyone noticed in the Koramangala inner ring road to Domlur a red color car front end completely smashed up. I saw a board in the rear end stating "My Driver was drunk"
Old 13th July 2009, 16:11   #2772
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
"My Driver was drunk"
Innovation of the Bangalore Cops. They are displaying the car for the public to understand why drinking and driving is a bad mix.
Old 13th July 2009, 16:22   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Innovation of the Bangalore Cops. They are displaying the car for the public to understand why drinking and driving is a bad mix.
How this for innovation?! Dairy Circle! Apparantly, this tries to explain in a rather graphic manner why helmets are to be used and no driving/riding after drinking. Notice the head resting on the rock.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-road-island.jpg  

Old 13th July 2009, 16:32   #2774
Distinguished - BHPian

I passed Dairy circle crossroad about a couple of weeks ago. I dont recall noticing this new intiative. When was this installed?
Old 13th July 2009, 16:32   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
How this for innovation?! Dairy Circle! Apparantly, this tries to explain in a rather graphic manner why helmets are to be used and no driving/riding after drinking. Notice the head resting on the rock.
It is the wackiest statue I have ever seen. Bangalore road authority should have hired some experts from UP . They might have carved it well (Ref: CM of UP).

Most Viewed