Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 01:24   #5821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My turn. First real accident (more than a dent or a scratch) in India for me.

I was coming across Kotturpuram Bridage, giving a lift home to two ladies from a house concert organised by some friends of mine, and they asked if I knew the route through Kotturpuram village, which I did not. Always being keen on new roads, I decided to take it.

Just past the village centre, a vehicle approached with main beam glaring in the middle of the road. I was well on the left of centre, but there was some room to my left. I stood my ground, and we ...ran into each other, wing to wing. One of the ladies with me was all for taking on the four guys, who I think had been drinking. Whilst there was no real sign of aggression, things were warming up a little and the growing crowd made me nervous, and, having established that the wheel would turn for steering, I extracted my female champion. I took the car number, but, stupidly, I did not his name and number. Nor did he get mine.

Stupid accident, because I could have avoided it, and, rather badly dealt with afterwards.

Damages: wing and bumper definitely. Bonnet is ok. It's dark: that's all I can see. Pic tomorrow.
feel for you mate.

had an encounter with a AI tempo traveller on Thippasandra 80ft road. he was travelling on the right side and was on the phone (saw in his ORVM) and wasn't giving way. somehow i squeezed through, but he tried to cut me off and in the process hit my car's rear bumper. i stopped the car and walked up to him and asked why he did what he did. his first reaction was to open the door of the TT with such force that it hit me square in the chest. by the time i recovered (hadn't at all expected such a response), he got down and hit me in my face. by the time i recovered from that, a crowd had gathered and my wifey (against my instructions not to get out of the car) was out of the car! since there were other family members in the car too, i decided to take what i got and leave the scene before things got out of hand.

after the incident, i cursed myself for not reacting - at least breaking his nose or kicking him in the groin and for many days following i was kinda trigger happy. i even spent the next few days looking for that TT on Bangalore roads. in hindsight i know i was right in not striking back, although i could have. however, if i had, i would have caused grievous injuries to him (he was aged somewhere above 50) and the crowd would have turned hostile to us. secondly, i could have put my family in harms way.

at the spur of the moment its the adrenaline rush that makes you choose: fight or flight and this comes instinctively for some.

guess what - this happened on Easter Sunday!

past is past - now i carry a wheel spanner under my seat, 4 D-cell Maglite under the steering column and hockey stick behind the rear seat
Old 23rd May 2010, 02:02   #5822
Senior - BHPian

^^ Feel bad reading what happened. Somehow in any situation, the car driver is always the weakest and most vulnerable .
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:37   #5823
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday there was a horrific accident near Kottarakkara, MC road in Kerala. An M800 (from the pictures it seems to be one) collided with a KSRTC super fast passenger bus.

The bus was overtaking another vehicle when it collided with the car head on in a curve.

The scene was too graphic, 3 people (school teachers) died on the spot in which one person was beheaded due to the impact.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc08715.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc08716.jpg
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:59   #5824
Senior - BHPian

OMG what a ghastly accident. May their souls RIP!!
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:24   #5825
BHPian

Really worst The Hindu : States / Kerala : Three KV teachers killed in road accident in Kollam

Would airbags or side airbags saved these people. i wonder. Stupid bus overtaking.
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:03   #5826
BHPian

When will these IDIOTS realise that CURVES are NOT for overtaking?
The KSRTC Superfast MORONS did it again.

-- Torqy
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:17   #5827
BHPian

IronH4WK, I feel terribly sorry for you man. I've been in a somewhat similar situation, only difference being that I was punched in both the chest and the face, however didn't have any backup since I was driving alone!!

I like your multipurpose inventory though
Drive safe
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:32   #5828
BHPian

There was a lumps in my throat, as I read the article, and saw the pics of the mangled M800, as I studied in 2 Kendriya Vidyalayas(not Kollam) for 1 year. I pray, to give strength to their kith, kin and students.
@IronH4WK:
My blood boils, thanks to the treatment meted out on you.
But while retaliating, it is necessary to be in our limits, because there are chances that -1. The goons might pursue us.
or
2. If they spot us or our car by chance, later, they might cause hjarm.
and such.
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:36   #5829
BHPian

@IronH4WK:

I know what you mean and I guess it takes a greater strength NOT to act in such a situation, though the thought of not doing anything might haunt one for sometime.My blood boils especially when cut from left by BMTC's and for so many other situations.But acting in the moment would not benefit anybody and might only lead to repercussions.
Old 23rd May 2010, 18:51   #5830
Distinguished - BHPian

IronH4WK... I can understand your feelings, and maybe I should go to the gym and get some muscle, although I never developed any all my life yet, so it may not make any difference. The guys I collided with seemed almost as bemused as I was, and, if it had not been for the growing crowd, I don't think they would have worried me. Oddly, I cannot feel anger or resentment against them, even though I know I should!

Here's a sample pic. Add the headlamp fitting to damage list: although it appears to be no more than scuffed on the outside, the glass structure is broken on the inside. The wing is completely bent back on itself inside.

Here's a positive twist to the story: the guy who sold me the car is coming round tomorrow to chaperone us at MSS... even though he no longer works for a Maruti agent. Now that's a salesman worth his salt!

But hey, when I look at clevermax's post above and see the damage, and the carnage --- it makes me feel silly even posting my little mishap.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident02.jpg  

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd May 2010 at 18:55. Reason: forgot to upload!
Old 23rd May 2010, 19:51   #5831
Senior - BHPian

That 800 virtually ripped apart into 800 pieces, not even recognizable

yesterday somewhere in delhi a drunk woman driver (wife of an army colonel) along with 4 other ladies was returning from a party and she rammed her honda city into an auto rickshaw, killing the auto rickshaw diver and a passenger. She was arrested.
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:18   #5832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
This happened sometime in mid-2004. Taxi cut across the main road from a by-lane. Impact at around 35-45 kmph. (Dont worry about blanking the plates, car is ours.)

Forgot to add this one. Excuse the hand in the middle, the driver was trying to close the bonnet properly.

The 800 crash is ghastly!! May the 3 occupants of the car RIP and god give strength to their families to cope with this tragedy.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-100_2241.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2010, 22:19   #5833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
yesterday somewhere in delhi a drunk woman driver (wife of an army colonel) along with 4 other ladies was returning from a party and she rammed her honda city into an auto rickshaw, killing the auto rickshaw diver and a passenger. She was arrested.
Here is the Picture. Picture Courtesy: PTI
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-drunkdriving_pti.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2010, 22:29   #5834
BHPian

That ANHC looks really sad.
And the Rick, Ghastly. Crushed real bad.
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:11   #5835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
people like her should be dragged out on the roads and shot in public!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks