Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 16:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Converting a Lap-belt to a *safer* 3-point Seatbelt?

All the 3 of my current cars have a terrible seat-belt arragement for the middle-person on the rear seat. There's just a long belt which you have to pull over your lap; I believe that's called a lap belt.

Now, this belt would hardly save you from banging forward in case of impact; only a 3-point seat belt would. My City has the lap-type seat belt.

Example as illustrated

Converting a Lap-belt to a *safer* 3-point Seatbelt?-1.jpg

On the other hand, the seat belt on cars like Civic has a diff. arrangement; wherein the seat belt falls from the top and you can wear it across the body. This will ensure you don't crash forward.

As illustrated

Converting a Lap-belt to a *safer* 3-point Seatbelt?-2.jpg

Is there any way I can modify the seat belt arrangement (lap-type) to the conventional 3-point for the middle rear-seat?
libranof1987 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 16:47   #2
BHPian

re: Making the Middle Lap-belt at the Rear a 3-point Seatbelt?

Yu can very well do such a mod even by simply bench marking the mounting method from the Civic. Yes, as you said the 3 point seat belt keeps the occupant more secure than the lap belt.

My 118NE didnot have a self winding seat belt. It had come with a buckle with which one has to adjust the length. So I had to alter them to a recoiling type for safety & reliability concerns. I had to get a bracket fabricated to accomodate the mechanism. Though it is visible to the rear seaters, it has increased the protection to the front seaters. I had used the mechanism from a CL550 which was converted to a hard top. So with such an experiment I think this should be feasible.

Last edited by ilangop : 1st February 2012 at 16:55.
Old 1st February 2012, 17:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

As of today I have not seen any one using the said seat belt for the third person on the rear seat.
The one provided in Maruti Omini is just a simple single belt with one side of clip and other side of lock system.This belt remains useless all the time.
Old 1st February 2012, 18:12   #4
BHPian

I dont think even civic has it. I can confirm for sure after I check.

Is the 2nd photo of Indian Civic? Does not look like. The rear arm-rest is missing. It has a head-rest for middle passenger. The front arm-rest is also somewhat different.

Last edited by alto99 : 1st February 2012 at 18:15.
Old 1st February 2012, 18:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post

Is the 2nd photo of Indian Civic? Does not look like. The rear arm-rest is missing. It has a head-rest for middle passenger. The front arm-rest is also somewhat different.
Well, Civic or BMW; the point is not which car has that arrangement but how to have it on a car that doesn't have it during manufacture.

I just typed Civic in Google and that's the image I got; I couldn't get a picture of an actual car with that arrangement sitting in office!
Old 1st February 2012, 19:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

A 3-point seatbelt maybe a possibilty for the middle rearseat as an aftermarket modification, but not sure how clean it will be. I feel this is one cost cutting measure uniformly followed by our manufacturers, especially in the segments below luxury C+.
Old 1st February 2012, 20:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of our cars below 10L in India, are not spaced to seat 5. So, more than cost cutting, I guess its got something to with space. As, I think it might be difficult to ergonomically set up a 3-point seat belts for all the 3 passengers, at the rear.

In any case, the current set up (the two point one) does the job of holding you back. And as for the upper part of your body hurling forward, I guess its fine, as its got nothing to hit (as a middle passenger)

To sum it up, considering the current space, seating and cost constraints, I would prefer a 2 point seat belt for the 5th passenger and "proper" 3 point ones for the other two rear seats. I see no real issue in it.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 20:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post

You're right, the Indian Civic comes with a lap belt for the middle passenger in the rear bench. The photo seems to be of a different variant model compared to the indian Civic.
That said, the lap belt is pretty useless when it comes to safety. Though it can be altered, but I think it will be difficult to do a neat job.
Old 1st February 2012, 21:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

OT: Isn't the length of the lap belt adjustable? I think it is adjustable in my Alto Lxi.
Old 2nd February 2012, 07:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Same dilema in case of my Fiesta too, no 3 point belt for the middle passenger. Although I have rarely felt the need for it coz when I have three passengers at the rear the seating space itself acts like a belt. I guess the reason for not giving the 3 point belt for the middle seat is cost cutting and that it might foul with the arm rest assembly.

Found a related link
http://www.retrobeltusa.com/products/category/id/2

Last edited by ghodlur : 2nd February 2012 at 08:03.
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Most of our cars below 10L in India, are not spaced to seat 5. So, more than cost cutting, I guess its got something to with space. As, I think it might be difficult to ergonomically set up a 3-point seat belts for all the 3 passengers, at the rear.
I disagree a bit there. I still feel its cost-cutting or probably deemed as not necessary (considering our leniency towards safety). To give an example, here I see 3 point seat-belts for the middle row in cars like VW Polo.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 18:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Converting a Lap-belt to a *safer* 3-point Seatbelt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
All the 3 of my current cars have a terrible seat-belt arragement for the middle-person on the rear seat. There's just a long belt which you have to pull over your lap; I believe that's called a lap belt.

Now, this belt would hardly save you from banging forward in case of impact; only a 3-point seat belt would. My City has the lap-type seat belt.

Example as illustrated

Attachment 880972

On the other hand, the seat belt on cars like Civic has a diff. arrangement; wherein the seat belt falls from the top and you can wear it across the body. This will ensure you don't crash forward.

As illustrated

Attachment 880973

Is there any way I can modify the seat belt arrangement (lap-type) to the conventional 3-point for the middle rear-seat?

Hi, have you been able to fix a 3-point seatbelt to your car? Has anyone done this? I'm seriously contemplating installing one in my Brezza.
Old 18th January 2021, 10:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi, have you been able to fix a 3-point seatbelt to your car? Has anyone done this? I'm seriously contemplating installing one in my Brezza.
I know its quite an old thread. However, were you able to install a 3 point seat belt in your Brezza? I have a XUV300 top end version, which initially used to have a 3 point seat belt for the middle passenger. They removed it for cost cutting last year. I am planning to install one, and when I enquired the dealership parts manager, he told me that I have to change that entire seat!
Goandiaries is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 11:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
I know its quite an old thread. However, were you able to install a 3 point seat belt in your Brezza?
No, I haven't been able to do it. Although I've managed to fix the child seat in middle with the lap belt plus latching it up with the floor. Now there is ZERO movement of the car seat, and it's been thoroughly tested. Effectively, I've got better space management now for rear seats.

Quote:
I have a XUV300 top end version, which initially used to have a 3 point seat belt for the middle passenger. They removed it for cost cutting last year. I am planning to install one, and when I enquired the dealership parts manager, he told me that I have to change that entire seat!
I guess there is no other way round. You'll have to also check details of the seatbelt mounts for middle passenger beforehand. It shouldn't happen that they've removed some more parts other than just the seats.
Old 26th January 2021, 22:55   #15
BHPian

I have a Honda City manufactured in 2016 which has a lap belt at the rear. The current 2020 Honda city (V and above variant I think) has 3 point belt at the rear. I think there is not much change in the chassis/layout when compared to 2016 model. Can we retrofit the 3 point seat belt in 2016 version? Has anybody tried that? I would like to get it done if anybody has done it.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks