Team-BHP - Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/133373-road-rage-understanding-avoidance-de-escalating-situation-54.html)

Another road rage incident in Bangalore near Whitefield.

Two persons were arrested in Bengaluru in connection with a road rage incident where they attacked a car carrying a techie and his wife in the Whitefield region of Bengaluru.

The arrested duo has been identified as Murali S, 27, who worked at the tennis court of a local club and his associate Raghu M, 31, an electrician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO3uMQqw9rA

news

It is sad, things like this are happening frequently now. I recently got a dashcam fitted in my sister's car just because of incidents like these. Just a small cutting across or honking or not letting someone pass leads to road rage now.
I feel it is mainly because of the divide between sections of society which seems to be growing wider.

On the other side, it is sad to see the public stopping and watching events unfold without doing much. I don't blame them either because no ones knows what can happen after that. These guys in the video above looks like they are high on something too.

It reminds me of a road rage incident that I witnessed on a not so crowded road few years ago. There was a car in front of me with a couple and a kid that was stopped by two guys on a scooter. I am not sure what was the trigger. One of the chaps gave a punch on the drivers face as soon as he reached the car which for some reason triggered me to jump out of my car to save him from more blows. Thankfully for me, after I asked them to leave, they did so. Things may work out differently now if I were to do the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 5601492)
It is sad, things like this are happening frequently now.

The busy traffic of Bengaluru is bringing a behavior change among people.
It's very difficult to have a high speed crash in Bengaluru owing to lack of opportunities to speed beyond 40kmph however, we can very well face a road rage incident as its independent of speed.

Dashcam is a must and avoid all hand gestures which may provoke anyone without our knowledge.

Few days back, I was exiting a T junction and another car was coming from the right side on the main road and turning into the T junction.
While he was turning, he was a little quick and he came into my lane but I anticipated that and slowed down much before.
However,I made a hand gesture to my wife showing how he had taken a wider turn due to speed.
He saw my hand gesture and stared at me as it provoked him.
I waved hand as sorry and went quickly and he too left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 5601492)
It is sad, things like this are happening frequently now. I recently got a dashcam fitted in my sister's car just because of incidents like these.

This isn't limited to Bengaluru alone. Pune has also seen a drastic rise in road rage incidents. I can see atleast one incident being reported everyday in TOI Pune edition. Owing to this, I have installed Dash cams in both my vehicles. Somehow I feel more safer in my Gurkha nowadays. Sometimes I feel, in such scenario, its just better to ram your vehicle and flee the scene to the nearest police station.

I went to fill nitrogen in my Gypsy tyres. After doing that I wanted to cross the road, merge with the traffic and go home. I had my indicator on and upon observing a break in oncoming traffic was slowly moving left while keeping an eye on the mirror for traffic coming up behind me. As I was crossing and about to go past the median line a swift passed me on my left. And then I was going across the median line when a Skoda Kodiaq which was coming at some speed, honked angrily and passed me with centimetres to spare and the woman driving it gave me a ‘tough’ ‘look’. All this is right in the neighbourhood where I have lived these last 20 years. Anyway I did nothing, just got into my lane and went on till the next turn off into the back streets and went home.
No one gives way to others in Bangalore traffic. The type of behaviour on the road even by educated and successful people is pretty reprehensible. There js absolutely no concept of road manners. It all comes down to impatience, stress, paucity of time and high pressure.
Something is bound to give way very soon.

Last night, I was driving home around 10pm with a female colleague. Near the Empress garden signal at cantonment tax booth, at T junction, I patiently waited for the greenlight to turn right. As usual witnessing everyone jumping the signal blatantly.
When my signal turned green, I slowly started driving, I was warry of the oncoming traffic at my right cutting me at high speed. One car overtook me from right when I just started moving, blocking my view.
One guy, hardly 21 with his girl on Activa tried to zip past, jumping red light, brushed his Activa to front bumper. Luckily nothing happened, no-one was hurt.
But I was amazed by his audacity. The guy started questioning me, why I didn't stop when I saw him coming. I said I was looking at the light and not you. It's you who has jumped the signal. Still he kept on saying it's not his fault.
I so badly wanted to punch him in his face and bleed him. My blood was boiling looking at his shameless behaviour. But his girl knew it was his fault and started asking him to move. Which he did.
Later I saw scraches on my front bumper caused by his Activa. I felt bad.
I mean not following rules is one thing and to top it up, questioning, blaming someone who is following the rules is a whole new level.

Feeling bored during your drive? Or did someone overtake you ? Well, let's just start a fight for the fun of it, right?

Incident in Chennai: The driver of a KIA Seltos got riled up unnecessarily. Sure, the overtake at 0.26 might have been a tad close, but the KIA driver seemed to intentionally pull a risky move at 0.30. And guess what? He still wanted to put the blame on the other driver who was just cruising in the right lane.

https://youtu.be/bFuyn4lw57c

Quote:

Originally Posted by StepUP! (Post 5602508)
Last night, I was driving home around 10pm with a female colleague. Near the Empress garden signal at cantonment tax booth, at T junction, I patiently waited for the greenlight to turn right. As usual witnessing everyone jumping the signal blatantly.
When my signal turned green, I slowly started driving, I was warry of the oncoming traffic at my right cutting me at high speed. One car overtook me from right when I just started moving, blocking my view.
One guy, hardly 21 with his girl on Activa tried to zip past, jumping red light, brushed his Activa to front bumper. Luckily nothing happened, no-one was hurt.
But I was amazed by his audacity. The guy started questioning me, why I didn't stop when I saw him coming. I said I was looking at the light and not you. It's you who has jumped the signal. Still he kept on saying it's not his fault.
I so badly wanted to punch him in his face and bleed him. My blood was boiling looking at his shameless behaviour. But his girl knew it was his fault and started asking him to move. Which he did.
Later I saw scraches on my front bumper caused by his Activa. I felt bad.
I mean not following rules is one thing and to top it up, questioning, blaming someone who is following the rules is a whole new level.

That's a classic defense mechanism. Start blaming the other party irrespective of whose fault it is. The one who yells the loudest wins. This has become the rule of the concrete jungle. Bystanders will have their show before moving on. Driving on Indian urban roads isn't for the faint hearted. One needs to develop nerves of steel, aggressive countenance, appetite for arguments and a very thick skin. Driving skills are secondary.

A couple of years ago, I was driving my friend who, unlike me was born and bred here, and I narrowly missed an auto. I commented that, if I had hit it, admission and apology would have been the only way.

He was quite shocked! He told me, "Never mind if it was your fault, always get out of the car shouting at the other guy!" :Shockked:

NB; my friend is an extremely nice, decent guy, and a very good driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 5602396)
No one gives way to others in Bangalore traffic. The type of behaviour on the road even by educated and successful people is pretty reprehensible. There js absolutely no concept of road manners.

+1 to this, as this is something I come across every day. My apartment’s main gate is hardly 50 meters before a major signal and every single time I exit the apartment, it’s pretty tricky to merge into the traffic. The road is typically jammed up between 8AM and 9PM and it takes me a while to merge into the traffic as no one wants to give way. 95% of the time, it is the BMTC bus which wait for a couple of seconds after the signal turns green providing a gap for me to merge in. Private cars, bikes and auto rickshaws simply do not want to let you merge in and behave as if they loose a fortune if they get delayed by the few seconds it takes you to merge in... And those angry glares, makes one wonder if they committed a mortal sin requesting a merge by the virtue of hand gestures.

I wonder how many of the forum readers exhibit this reprehensible impatience on the road… and to those my humble request, a little patience will go a long way in maintaining everyone’s road sanity in this chaotic city.

Rowdy sheet will be opened on those involved in road rages: Bengaluru police

Name:  roadrage.png
Views: 433
Size:  382.2 KB

In the past few months, social media has been flooded with many road rage incidents, thanks to the dash cameras inside the car.

After an increasing number of road rage incidents in Karnataka’s capital, Bengaluru police commissioner B Dayananda said that an act of rowdy sheet will be opened on such culprits who are involved in such incidents. In the past few months, social media has been flooded with many road rage incidents, thanks to the dash cameras inside the car.

Answering a user in social media platform X, the top said, “Officers have been instructed to open 'rowdy sheets' on such unscrupulous elements indulging in road rage or extortion activities.”

Recently in Whitefield’s Siddapura, two miscreants were seen stopping the car in the middle of the road and creating a ruckus. In a video that went viral, two people on a bike chased the car and tried assaulting the driver. Bengaluru police later arrested the two accused.

Not just in Bengaluru but such incidents have been repeatedly happening across Karnataka. Earlier this month, a family travelling from Karnataka’s Bandipur forest was attacked by a group of miscreants who stopped their car in the middle of the road. The attackers were also seen hurling abuses at the family, and the whole video was recorded in the dash cam of the car. The police later tracked the vehicle and arrested the culprits.

What is a rowdy Sheet?
Karnataka police manual maintains a register of rowdies with different categories. The rowdy sheeters are divided into A, B and C categories of offenders. The brutal and habitual crime doers are considered as A category, whereas the offenders who commit moderate level of crime fall under the B category. The first-time offenders who are considered as a possible threat to the society come under the C category.

Source - https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...899525572.html

The scary video shows how a family traveling in a car was stopped in the middle of the road in Bandipur by a group of men who were traveling in an SUV. According to reports, the family was threatened and attacked over a trivial reason. Throughout the family’s journey, they were not allowed to overtake the SUV in any manner. According to the person who uploaded the video on Twitter, the man who was driving saw the gap. He overtook them but they followed him and made them stop in the middle of the road. “They got out of the car and started abusing them. His wife tried to push their hands out but got wounded," he wrote.

https://youtu.be/MuNGX0V_-24

I found this on YouTube, it's a 2 year old video but I thought of posting it. It's about a gang of goons planning to extort money or damage the car. Any lessons for us?
https://youtu.be/cY7Avvv2F98?si=t-AmZaIR6qLMYZ9D

I had an incidence at somatne phata on old pune mumbai highway.while i was taking a U turn, a biker coming from extreme left tried to pass through space between car and parked auto. He rammed into the door.
I asked him then he said he had given his hand..I said hand for what and to whom, you are coming on straight road then he said his bike has no brakes could not brake.
He had no helmet and speed of car was 5kmph so there was no any major issue otherwise it could have been a big accident.

https://youtu.be/MVfragncKSI

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim (Post 5607728)
I had an incidence at somatne phata on old pune mumbai highway.

This is a clear case of Right of Way. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but you are in the wrong here. The biker is on the road and he has the right of way. "couda wouda shouda" whatever the argument, you should have let the biker pass. I was expecting the biker to make a bigger fuss, good thing that he didnt.