Team-BHP - Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/133373-road-rage-understanding-avoidance-de-escalating-situation.html)

What is Road Rage?

Road rage is aggressive behaviour exhibited by an individual which has been triggered by a perceived or actual traffic misdemeanor. This leads to rage, unpleasant altercations, damage and even death.

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-road-rage1.jpg
Pic Source
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-roadrage4.jpg
Pic Source

Why does this happen?

There are two parts to understanding this. The first part is to understand the cause and the other part is the trigger.

Think gelignite + detonator – one will not explode in isolation but the two of them creates an explosion.

Within each of these components are various vectors. One cannot isolate any one vector which actually contributed to the incident. However, it is best to understand these vectors in order to modify your behaviour and resolve the issue

Disclaimer - the content going forward is based on my introspection, observations and experience! Human behaviour is complex, anything can happen! My suggestions might not always work

The list is endless but listed are some of the more relevant ones. (as the responses to this article progress, I will add more to this list!)

Psychological

Opportunistic

Ego

Fear of Injustice

Lack of Traffic Education

Hiding Guilt
Usually there are at least two or three of these causes that act at the same time, even more!

1: Traffic indiscipline and infrastructure

You will not disagree - the list of things that drive you mad are endless. Many incidents can erode your patience

2: Environmental Factors - hot weather, wrong time of the month

These all build up the frustration

3: You! – yes You!

“But we are Team-BHP’ians, we drive safely and are like angels?”

“ May be, may be not, everybody has a flaw in their driving and maybe a misinterpretation of the law”

No one is perfect. Your imperfection has an equal chance of triggering the incident as also the your self-righteous act (i.e. trying to regulate the speed limit - regulate yourself, not others), teaching the offender a lesson!

The Tirade

If you are accosted at a stop. At best, it might be merely be a verbal spat where no one gets out of their vehicle and a tirade of expletives are delivered.

Treat the expletives as a means for the aggressor to release pressure!

Another technique is to apologise without apologising! Sounds corny. Apologise that the incident happened, do not apologise stating you did this or that. The chances are that his rage prevents him from hearing and his ego gets satisfied!

The scenario assumes no damage or injury is apparent. You have the right not to stop!

A lot of times, you can see it coming, the vehicle will come at you and aggressively try to overtake and his eyes will be on you. The question is whether it is worth his time, try going in a direction far different than he is going. he might not bother.

If in the extreme right lane - Scan opposite traffic and take a smooth U turn if it is safe and road is clear.

If you are in the extreme left lane - Take a left turn assuming you know you are not entiering a clogged road or a dead end. The logic in this is that the forced detour might not be worth it for the aggressor. Time is money - he might carry on!

If these do not work, prepare for a confrontation, this could be merely a tirade or a rude gesture at best, or could escalate to violence

If things look like escalating to violence

Dealing with violence and intimidation

The Police

In these cases, it is assumed that it is safe to get out of the car and ascertain next steps

In the event of causing an injury

In the event of the incident triggered by damage involving yourself.

If it is a tirade you need to deal with

What do the other party snatches my key?

1: Ask for it back
2: If not forthcoming, take a picture of him and note number
3: Tell him, you will be reporting him for criminal theft

What if I am at the receiving end of physical violence

You have a duty to protect yourself and get out of danger. If you are assaulted or someone inflicts initial damage, get in car or run. If you need to to retaliate physically, focus on blocking his attacks and pushing him away. You fight to defend, not to win a fight in this case!

What if someone threatens me with a weapon

Normally the weapon comes out if they want immediate action or to scare you. They might not want to use or even know how to use it but one is not going to even find that out. Resorting to weapons happens when the situation has not been descalated. You have no choice unless you can lock yourself in a car or drive off. Inform the police if there is a loss or damage incurred.

Road Rage is a manifestation of aggression due to one or a combination of the following

You can counter this by being

1: Confident – you have guts to face him and deal with him
This will counter any intimidation tactic

2: Polite -
This will bring some self control back and also reduce need for intimidation

3: Gracious to a fault – a reed bends in a hurricane, a tree snaps
This will address the ego but be careful not to lose control and be taken advantage of.

4: Firm about your rights and your facts
State the traffic rule (do not invent the rules!) and stand firm on recognizing proper legal redressal methods

No one wins in road rage – both lose

Why ?

Case Studies about what happened to me!

1: Aggressor blocks me, behaves abusively takes my key and even slams phone out of my hand. Aggression due to loss of self-control.

Counter-tactic – Factually show there is no damage. Ask him what he wanted – he found he had no reason for his behaviour but could not find a way out
Lever – Clearly tell him that he has stolen my key, assaulted me, blocked traffic and if he drove away, the police will be onto him.
Secret lever – I had the opportunity to disable and snatch key but I could get an assault case landed on me
Result - To calm him down, apologised but did not apologise, laid out the cards - theft, assault, he threw my key down and drove off.
I could have taken him down, intimidate him with my golf clubs but I could do without police cases

2: Wife while learning to drive taps an auto. Driver snatches key and makes outrageous demand. Aggression due to opportunistic plan and also fear of not getting compensated
Countertactic - Make him walk to inspector at junction. I show willingness to be reasonable, inspector tells him to settle.

3: Caught in a mob since I breached a hartal. False allegation, intimidation abound. Aggression due to false ego. Mob plans to bring in their "expert"

Counter-tactic – Stay in car, make it clear, I will not trust them. Insist on police intervention
Lever – ensuring the false allegations did not add up – “victim” walking properly, no damage to car, insistence on getting a medical opinion
Results - Facts resulted in the police telling the mob to get lost. They did however ban me from leaving till 6pm. We said fine. Their ego totally stoked, they told us to carry on!

Concluding

1: Drive defensively

2: Give yourself a lot of space between you and everyone else

3: Do not be self righteous and teach/ lecture someone

4: Be confident, firm and polite

5: Be a good listener

De-escalating a situation depends on 3 factors

Ego - Can be deconstructed by behaviour and fact

Time - If there is nothing to fight about, get away

Facts - If you have clear facts, and you can get the aggressor to understand, it can turn tables

A good tool to have - would be a driver camera. It is almost essential in Russia and might happen here. The only thing is that it should also work when the ignition is off!

Moving this to the main forum. Looking forward to your inputs

Excellent topic. Thanks for bringing this out. :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 3057874)

Psychological
  • Short-tempered
  • Feeling of inadequacy – I have had a raw deal and you have added to it
  • A bad day - There is always that straw that broke the camels back and you might be it (wittingly or unwittingly)

Opportunistic
  • Inducing and taking advantage of the shock

Ego
  • Need to look good when exiting the situation

Some of these above phenomenon are growing in accelerated manner these days, what with the growing population of vehicles on the road.

Please add to it the following:

Psychological / Ego
Opportunistic
Edit: Corrected the bullets that were not handled properly when posted using the iPad app.

If you are a localite, always talk in the local language. This immediately establishes you as a "son of the soil" and keeps rabble rousers away.
Talking to the police is also much easier in local language. How many policemen are fluent in English / Hindi?

Excellent topic. clap: It will definitely help us on the road in case of such adverse situations. Jut what we need to do is to keep ourselves cool and handle the situation in the way you have mentioned. I will share this link with my non BHPian friends too so they also get benefited from this topic. :)