Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 15:45   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Under-Run Bars on Trucks : Why they are important for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
No offend intended but the Vehicle Registration Numbers are different in all the three cases.
Please Observe.

It is a compilation of videos posted by some one, I'm not saying it's a single bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
The Overhangs (Front and Rear) as well as Running Board touching the road (or ground) Cannot be Considered as A Reason for Non-Fitting of Under Run Bars. If any of these is/are touching the road, that vehicle should not be allowed to ply on the road. Simple.

Did I say that, I'm very much for under run bars and all my previous posts say that. What I say is that the government has fixed rules for under run bar / rear bumper height, and all vehicles must comply, the buses shown here are KSRTC ones, and they corresponds with the norms, secondly as KSRTC uses self leveling air suspension in the rear on all buses so even overloading cannot make the clearance less. Even then you can see how close they come to scraping.

There has to be a proportion between everything, So approach and departure angle of bridges, and cross over angle of platform speed breakers has to be designed with permissible height of under run bars. Even minimum and maximum permissible ground clearance for cars should be in accordance to approach and departure angles. Till 2 years ago, when I was using a Polo, front bumper touching was a regular occurrence.

Now consider this situation permissible height of rear bumper is 640mm (60mm above EU norms of 580 below Australian norms and close to American norms of (25")635mm.) with a 3.5M overhang. Minimum wheelbase for the maximum permissible overhang is 5.9M. A bus built to norms is braking hard with 50mm compression of front suspension and 50mm lift of rear suspension, the bumper will be at 800 mm, now what is the minimum prescribed height of a cars bumper or bonnet none.
Now my only wish is the way there is regulation for commercial vehicles, even cars should have a minimum height of bonnet regulation.
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:14   #92
Team-BHP Support

Came across this on Instagram.

Basically designed to provide roadside workers (and car passengers) extra protection in cases where a truck has to be stopped in a traffic lane to carry out some work.

Called the Scorpion TMA (Truck Mounted Attenuator):
Name:  0GIF.gif
Views: 806
Size:  1.53 MB

Name:  1GIF.gif
Views: 762
Size:  1.46 MB

Name:  2GIF.gif
Views: 790
Size:  1.69 MB

Manufacturer : Traffix Devices

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd September 2019 at 15:16.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:16   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this few days back. Possibly the worst type of contraption. Wonder how authorities allow them to ply on the road. You can easily park a small car under here

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 08:30   #94
Senior - BHPian

Re: Under-Run Bars on Trucks : Why they are important for you!

Under-run and side under-run bars getting more attention in the US:
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks