Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 20:28   #76
BHPian

Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Quote:
a) Is this kind of aftermarket job possible on the Figo? Ideally, I want the lights to be inserted into the front dam. Some sort of cut and fit kind of job.

b) Will this kind of modification void the warranty of the car?

Thanks.
Yes, it is possible. It is easy on the Figo because the switch is already present, you merely have to do the wiring.

Yes, it will void the electric warranty. But so will changing the audio system. And headlamps.
Old 18th December 2013, 17:49   #77
BHPian

Fog lamps need to be yellow as said earlier by TSK. It's VIBGYOR. Iam planning to mount a set this winter on my car. lightforce are very good by expensive. Around 30k. The glass is tough and will not break easily. They come with amber/ yellow filters which one can attach to the white glass whenever required. If budget is less than Hella any day.
Old 18th December 2013, 18:59   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
Fog lamps need to be yellow as said earlier by TSK. It's VIBGYOR. Iam planning to mount a set this winter on my car. lightforce are very good by expensive. Around 30k. The glass is tough and will not break easily. They come with amber/ yellow filters which one can attach to the white glass whenever required. If budget is less than Hella any day.
Actually, I was wrong. Yellow or white, no difference
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/phy99xx4.htm
Old 30th December 2014, 13:21   #79

Planning on picking up a set of fog-lights for the Thar, and have zeroed in on the Hella Comet 500 fog-lights (part # 005.750-041).

Has anyone here used these? How are they? And any ideas on where these can be sourced? They seem to be available online on e-bay and jazzmyride, but ideally I'd like to unbox them before I buy them because the website doesn't specify if it comes with the relay, stone-guard and so on.

I've asked a couple of Hella stockists in Lajpat Nagar and Prithviraj Market (who make a killing palming off driving lights as fog lights - they even showed me a catalogue with photographs of 'satisfied customers' cars' that they've been fitting them on - I'm appalled to think of the number of good folks driving around in the Delhi fog blinded by their own so-called fog-lights!) but the standard refrain is 'yeh India mein bikta nahin hai, baahar se mangwaana hoga jiske liye dedh mahina lagega'. By which time the worst of the fog would have come and gone.

Will appreciate any info coming my way.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc.wanderer View Post

Planning on picking up a set of fog-lights for the Thar, and have zeroed in on the Hella Comet 500 fog-lights (part # 005.750-041).

Has anyone here used these? How are they? And any ideas on where these can be sourced? They seem to be available online on e-bay and jazzmyride, but ideally I'd like to unbox them before I buy them because the website doesn't specify if it comes with the relay, stone-guard and so on.
Update - Checked with the jazzmyride website, and it turns out that while they specify this part number on the website sale item, they dispatch the Hella Comet 500 driving-lights (part # 005.750-051) - which is the same thing that happens at the Lajpat Nagar / Khan Mkt / Palika Kendra stores that I checked at earlier - so even the website is not an option. Checked with Bimbra too, they also only stock driving lights.

Any expert advice on how to go about sourcing fog-lights for the Thar, now that the model that I was keen on just doesn't seem to be sold in India?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Zappo : 30th November 2016 at 13:03. Reason: No back to back posts please. Use multiquote to respond to everyone in one go.
Old 2nd January 2015, 16:48   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayvir View Post
Hi

This is what I was looking for and this thread has helped me a lot. Kudos to everyone. I have a question and would appreciate help.

I am planning to buy a Ford Figo and the first thing I want to do is fix Fog lamps on it. I don't want very fancy stuff, just simple but effective job.

See the attached picture of what I have in mind. Now I want to know

a) Is this kind of aftermarket job possible on the Figo? Ideally, I want the lights to be inserted into the front dam. Some sort of cut and fit kind of job.

b) Will this kind of modification void the warranty of the car?

Thanks.
Hi,
I own a Figo and find the OEM foglamps to be more than adequate. I wouldn't recommend going for an aftermarket fitmet - specially the way you want as:
1. It will involve drilling a lot of holes for brackets, etc. into a brand new car, as the plastic cover you're looking to fit them on is not strong enough to hold fog lamps.
2. From my experience, changing headlamp bulbs (without relay) and installing an aftermarket music system doesn't really draw the attention of the Auth SS guys reg. warranty, but a fitment like large fog lamps surely will!

I suggest you check out the fog lamps of the Figo during a test drive to check them out urself!
Old 31st August 2015, 21:38   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
!

A fog lamp is not defined as "yellow", but as a lamp that produces a very wide bar of light with minimal-to-no uplight and a sharp horizontal cutoff. What determines a good fog lamp is amount of uplight (less is better)!
Hi Ram,

So does that mean that the wider fog lamps (old vernas ) would be more effective than the taller ones (new creta)? If yes, then what would be the design intent for the taller ones?

Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 12:14   #82

Hello Everyone,

I find my baleno's (new 2015 model) headlights inadequate during nights. I live in Delhi and planning to visit Jaipur in year end when we can expect dense fog. Can you please help me if installing fog lamps (MGP) would help. What would be the cost and how helpful will it be? I have no idea about the options available.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 30th November 2016, 14:49   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer.ahuja81 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I find my baleno's (new 2015 model) headlights inadequate during nights. I live in Delhi and planning to visit Jaipur in year end when we can expect dense fog. Can you please help me if installing fog lamps (MGP) would help. What would be the cost and how helpful will it be? I have no idea about the options available.

MGP or else, driving in dense/heavy fog should be avoided.

If not possible to avoid it, you may get your standard headlamp bulbs (H4, I guess) replaced with the ones with yellow tint. Same wattage will make it a Plug-n-Play stuff. Something like this.

Drive slow and carefully with low beam and you should be able to survive the fog.
Old 30th November 2016, 15:20   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer.ahuja81 View Post
Hello Everyone,

The MGP fog lamps are not of much use and are better be avoided. They light up upto 4-5 feet in front of the car which is inadequate unless you are moving at crawling speeds. I have them on my WagonR VXi while my friend has them his Baleno Alpha. You are better off with after market options.

Last edited by ashis89 : 30th November 2016 at 15:23.
Old 21st October 2017, 15:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

I have a question with regards to the stock fog lamps in a typical hatchback.

Do they all have similar bulbs with same mount points?

Basically I just want to upgrade the bulbs without changing the mount points or anything! Also if possible, please suggest suitable alternatives.
Old 21st October 2017, 15:33   #86
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Do they all have similar bulbs with same mount points ?
Just like your headlights these foglamp bulbs also have a type, H11 is the most common.

So in order to upgrade your bulbs you have to first check what is the type of bulb used in the car, check the owners manual for this. Then, you can get all the different types of bulbs, more powerfull ones, different colour tones etc.

The mounting points of the foglamp assembly doesn't matter because irrespective of the mounts, the bulb holders are fairly standard. This holds true not only for hatchbacks but also for sedans, SUVs and the others.

Post your bulb type and requirements here

Last edited by OSH : 21st October 2017 at 15:39.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:19   #87
BHPian

Recently got the MGP stock fog lamps installed on my Baleno Delta Petrol before the arrival of monsoons. Being a Delta, the car is equipped with standard halogen headlights and no fog lamps.

Although the headlight is decent and does a good job of lighting the path ahead of you, during the monsoons the situation becomes very bad. Add to the ordinary headlights, the white mist on the screen left by wipers during heavy rains and Mumbai rains makes it very scary to drive the car. I have had instances where I even contemplated parking the car on the side of the road.

Had installed the chinese angel eyes fog lamps earlier which did an excellent job of throwing light all over the place except the road . Also the quality was horrible with both the fogs giving up after one and a half years of service.

Got the MGP fog lamps installed on the Baleno last weekend and it fills up the empty space just before your low beams decently. Getting it installed was relatively easy except the fact that they had to cut a hole in the fog lamp mould in the bumper. The screw inlets were already there and once the fogs were fitted, because of the design, the lights did not need any adjustment at all. I would still get them lifted slightly up to prevent dark spots between the low beams and the fog lights.

Also since both the lights are halogens so there is no colour difference whatsoever. The stock fog bulbs are 35W H8s and are pretty ordinary. Thinking of upgrading them, any suggestions most welcome.
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:03   #88
BANNED

Fog lamps are supplementary lights and can be used in conjunction with your headlights in low-visibility settings. However, they are not designed to take the place of your regular driving lights as they have a very short range.

These lights are useful for seeing road markings, but they will not help you see into the fog—so they are really only helpful when driving at relatively low speeds.

While there are no regulations for when you should use your fog lamps, it’s recommended that you only activate them during certain situations, like the ones listed below:
1.Fog
2.Heavy rains
3.Dust storms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks