Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 18:07   #166
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to export cars (Baleno) to Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Yes only a proper crash test can determine how safe/unsafe a car is but how do you explain that a more feature laden, bigger car sheds so much weight despite having same engines & not using any revolutionary materials like aluminium or carbon fibre ?
While I agree, in general, to your line of questioning, there is more than one way to skin a cat ( apologies, cat lovers ).

Quote:
MSIL has been selling the L & V variants of the swift without brake boosters.
This is not true.
Old 16th December 2015, 19:32   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
While I agree, in general, to your line of questioning, there is more than one way to skin a cat ( apologies, cat lovers ).
There may be numerous ways to skin a cat but then why dont they come out publicly & lay down the facts about their 'premium' offering. There is a post in this very thread in which a member mentions how he asked the sales guy at nexa about the crash test details of baleno but was refused to be told anything. I know sales guys are not aware about such things but the car maker in question is the biggest in the country selling over a lakh cars every month. Why dosent they deem it important to release crucial details about the product which affects their customers.

What purpose is this nexa drama solving when one dosent know anything related to the safety aspect of the cars being sold there, atleast one of the nexa products is same old cheap MSIL stuff being sold in the name of being premium.

Quote:
This is not true.
I am quoting GTO from the official Swift review "If there is a major letdown in the handling area, it's the Swift's mediocre brakes. Shockingly, the Lxi / Ldi & Vxi / Vdi don’t get brake assist (powerful brake booster) from the factory. The brakes on these variants simply fail to inspire any confidence at speed, and are completely unsuited to emergency braking conditions or an enthusiastic driving style."

Good luck to the swift owners in an emergency braking situation
trinity0114 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 20:40   #168
BHPian

Quote:
I am quoting GTO from the official Swift review :
Shockingly, the Lxi / Ldi & Vxi / Vdi don’t get brake assist (powerful brake booster) from the factory"
It's quite a stretch from the quoted bit in the official review & the assertion : "the Swift has no brake booster".
You're free to look under the skirts of any Swift, but I doubt you'll find any without a booster ( as far as I know only the M-800 came with no brake booster ).

In any case, do not wish to be the stone against which you grind your Anti-Maruti axe any further, so - Peace Out !

Last edited by im_srini : 17th December 2015 at 20:59.
Old 18th December 2015, 11:19   #169
BHPian

Quote:
It's quite a stretch from the quoted bit in the official review & the assertion : "the Swift has no brake booster".
You're free to look under the skirts of any Swift, but I doubt you'll find any without a booster ( as far as I know only the M-800 came with no brake booster ).
The quoted line "don’t get brake assist (powerful brake booster) from the factory" can have 2 meanings - 1. that there is a brake booster but which is weak, & 2. there is no powerful brake booster. My assertion is nowhere a stretch & you are free to interpret any of the two. Fact remains the swift's brakes are awful but you are most welcome to drive cars which have brake boosters but are of no use & the resultant 'boosted brakes' fall short of bringing the car to a stop under an emergency.

Quote:
In any case, do not wish to be the stone against which you grind your Anti-Maruti axe any further, so - Peace Out !
That personal comment was not required & totally uncalled for, if you cannot argue you better leave. From what I understand merely stating facts is being termed as Anti-Maruti so be it
Old 18th December 2015, 14:05   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Every car model is different, and their crash worthiness can be determined, only when such cars are crash tested.
And we do not have any laws to hold them guilty, just because the MD made some ridiculous comments about safety or they have a track record before such laws are made.
Quote:
So, coming back to Maruti - Sure, Swift got a big zero in NCAP tests. But who can say for sure that Baleno will get the same zero, whatever is its weight reduction?
Agree with your comments. We can't say for sure that Baleno will score as badly as the Swift. It's just that in the absence of actual data for current model, people will look at past track record. And it's a natural thing to do isn't it? If Skoda launches a new car tomorrow, I will still have the same apprehensions about its reliability because of its past reputation, irrespective of what the company may claim regarding its new car. In order to believe a person or company has changed their ways, we must have some evidence to the contrary. So unless I see crash test for Baleno, I will have a lingering doubt in my mind that it might be no better than a Swift. Of course it is wrong to say that Baleno is definitely unsafe. It's just that I will be inclined to go by past track record unless I see some solid evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
Wonder why always the structural integrity talks come in for a Suzuki. Are all Hyundai's, Honda's, Fords, Mahindra's, TATA's and other budget cars have an NCAP 5 rating for safety standards? I mean don't know, can anyone shed some light on that please?
It's not just Suzuki. The same concerns are often raised for Hyundai as well as their cars didn't fare any better. People were concerned about the new Ford Figo also, since it didn't feel as sturdy as the older model. And Datsun Go was the worst of all and rightly gets criticized for it. So, it's not like Suzuki is being singled out.
Old 20th December 2015, 06:28   #171
BHPian

Well, I too agree that name calling Suzuki or Hyundai for making unsafe cars will not solve the problem. As long as we don't have crash test in India and we don't have authentic and comparable data about crash-worthiness, even the cars which have safety features can not be called safe. But again, as long as we don't have such tests in India, I personally believe that the best bet is to buy a car with minimum safety features like ABS, EBD and at least dual air bags.
Old 16th January 2016, 09:50   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian Government plans complete crash test of all cars

NATRiP vehicle safety testing facility to be ready by year-end

National Automotive Testing and R&D Infrastructure Project's (NATRiP) seven automotive design and testing centers, being set up as per best global standards, will be fully operational by December 2016.

"As the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has made it mandatory for vehicle manufactures in the country, especially cars, for complying with best international standards for safety of driver and passengers and set October 2017 deadline for new vehicles, NATRiP's centres will be all ready by the year-end," said NATRiP CEO Sanjay Bandopadhyay

Source: ET
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 01:30   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
NATRiP vehicle safety testing facility to be ready by year-end

National Automotive Testing and R&D Infrastructure Project's (NATRiP) seven automotive design and testing centers, being set up as per best global standards, will be fully operational by December 2016.

"As the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has made it mandatory for vehicle manufactures in the country, especially cars, for complying with best international standards for safety of driver and passengers and set October 2017 deadline for new vehicles, NATRiP's centres will be all ready by the year-end," said NATRiP CEO Sanjay Bandopadhyay

Source: ET
This is great news. But if the testing facilities will be ready by Dec 2016, then why is Oct 2017 the deadline for conducting these tests? What will these facilities be doing for 10 months?

Also, will these tests be in line with global standards or watered down for India?
Finally, will the test results be made public?

I'll be waiting to see how things turn out in reality. Too many slips between the cup and the lip.
Old 3rd February 2016, 12:24   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Vitara Brezza gets ready for the safety standards coming to India soon.
Gets homologation certification for meeting them.

Name:  yu.PNG
Views: 442
Size:  371.4 KB

https://twitter.com/gavin_drives

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks