Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 18:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Innovative ideas on road safety & convenience by school kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
2 ways to do it (Just got my thinking hat ON)!

1. A manual over ride by the traffic police / control room. This might trigger some other vehicles also using the situation to move on. This is a simple idea.

2. Out-of-the-box : Ambulance be fitted with self inflating tyres (James Bond's BMW - Tomorrow never dies). So no worries going over the spikes while other motorists don't have a choice but to wait.

Edit:: Even we should get to interact with these kids and be a part of such idea-storms. We get a chance to unleash our weird thoughts and still get way with that too.
Further extension:
It may not be possible to man all signals 24X7. How about fitting the ambulances with a device that send signal to the spike-control device when it is approaching and the spikes will be retracted temporarily and will be back in business as soon as the ambulance or other emergency service vehicles pass thru. This might let some other vehicles also jump signal but that can be handled in the current way. This will also stop those nuts that keep chasing Ambulances [There are quite a few of them on Indian roads]
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

These are really Novel ideas, some of them.
The O2 sensor was a good one, which car manufacturers can implement into the AC system.

And the spike system is the best i think for indian roads.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:49   #18
BHPian

Great Post and amazed at how kids are consciously contributing to the betterment of the environment. I sure hope to god that these little minds go on to achieve great things and in the process architect an environment which is safe and prosperous.

Cheers
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:55   #19
BHPian

Brilliant ideas. The retractable spikes idea is excellent and worth thinking about. But in our nation, I think we will either find the spikes missing or the top flattened out in a couple of weeks. Our people will do anything to make sure that laws are not abided
Anand3553 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the CO2/O2 Indicator idea. That will serve good purpose. The spikes idea is very risky business I think and may not be practical. The footboard lock is another idea which will probably see the light practically some day.

Let me share something I used to think while I was a kid. I was a petrol head then too, thus most of my doodles were about automobiles only. I don't know if there were digital speedo & other instrument consoles back there in early 90s, but I always used to draw digital instrument car consoles on the last pages of my all school notebooks. With 'Distance to Empty' I somehow always felt that this is the future of displays. There would be a digital speedo, temperature display and current average plus DTE display. Even the turn signal indicators and hi beam/ hand brakes and all other warning lights were also incorporated in the same console and were 'lit on' digitally like some data on LCD screen.

However, this is altogether a different matter that today I like the analog gauges much more than digital counterparts!

My other wild thoughts included a car that would run on water. Yes, water as fuel. The logic behind it was like water in the tank would be put to electrolysis and decomposed back to hydrogen and oxygen. Now as Hydrogen burns & oxygen helps in burning, they can be used as fuel inside the cylinders...those were the days...

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd July 2014 at 11:35.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:01   #21
BHPian

Though I liked the AC on 2-wheelers idea the most, all of these are totally doable. All it takes is good intentions, which kids have the most. Looking at this, my hopes are restored in future India, Aameen.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:03   #22
BHPian

Awesome ideas, Brilliant, when we are young our mind is not conditioned and no wonder creative and innovative ideas come up. We should not allow our children to get used to our Indian safety mindset "where safety is always the last priority" ( e.g., chennai reeling under the 11 storey building collapse) We should constantly encourage such ideas and adults should be role models to their children when it comes to following the safety regulations. Sadly our children have very few role models.
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:09   #23
BHPian

The biggest problem we today have in our traffic community is the 'lack' of driving sense / courtesy. Even the best machines fail, if we don't follow some simple rules - diligently.

Having said that, seeing this thread, I am happy that young generation is thinking the right direction. Way to go

Very good thoughts from everyone. Keep up the good work !!
SRKHYD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:39   #24
BHPian

Brilliant ideas. I too find the spikes the most innovative, while others are equally good.

When will someone design something against the wrong side driving and dazzling headlight (I dont mind an ecu controlled air gun option on the offending lamp!! )
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:41   #25
BHPian

Excellent ideas!!
Love the CO2 warning system. Its something that will definitely save lives.

Last edited by amarpreet99 : 2nd July 2014 at 15:06. Reason: removed content (rules)
amarpreet99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:05   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Thanks for editing your post Amarpreet. Violence in any manner is not to be encouraged on the road or on this forum.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd July 2014 at 15:22.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:17   #27
BHPian

7. Automatic spike system near traffic signal

This is a must in Pune
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
7. Automatic spike system near traffic signal

This is a must in Pune
That's a must in every Indian city. I have received even abuses from behind for waiting the signal to turn green when there is no traffic in the intersection.
joe_antony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
What I have seen in US is that the Emergency vehicles are equipped with some sort of transmitter which can control the signals (and in this hypothetical case spikes). I have seen a scenario where a fire truck was going through a route and all signals turned green. I though the central control room might have done but then I read somewhere the vehicles themselves can control the signals.
Yes I've seen this in LA . Not only emergency services but the RED Bus line , which charges a little extra, gets all green on its route so that travel is faster .
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:59   #30
BHPian

The spike strip idea is stunning no yellow light speeding will happen if implemented

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks