Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2014, 21:03   #16
BHPian

Re: ASEAN NCAP crash tests Tata Vista, 2014 Honda City

VW have taken a right step in this regard by making Airbags standard accross variants. I wonder what makes other manufacturers not to follow the footsteps. Waiting for the Govt. of India to come up with some stringent safety norms sooner rather than later.
Carpainter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 19:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: ASEAN NCAP Q3 2014 Crash Test Results (Honda City & Tata Vista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
The passenger side glass break on the vista seems to be due to the airbag deploying.
I never imagined whether airbag deployment would break the windshield on any car. Does it happen with any other car?
Old 4th September 2014, 19:50   #18
BHPian

It is indeed an interesting discussion on comparing a car manufactured in a plant based out of India versus anything manufactured abroad. I do not have any factual data which can verify any statements made on this proposition, but I would be interested to read some if someone can share.

The engineering drawing/chassis is same (negligible difference may be present, of course), the raw materials contributing to it *could* be different. I wonder if there exists an organization which checks quality of material that gets into these automobiles.

So, IMO, the test and results shared do give us some idea about what to expect. Its a trailer, the movie will be out soon.
Old 4th September 2014, 19:51   #19
BHPian

Proud to be a Honda City Owner! Infact, I am surprised by the such a near perfect score of 15.8 / 16.0 for the City. This is a testament of how crucial structural elements and design are important for cars
Old 4th September 2014, 20:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Was the Honda City which was crash tested manufactured in India? No. In that case, aren't City Owners jumping the gun in celebrating?

I mean, sorry to spoil the party but let's be objective and not subjective.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 22:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Was the Honda City which was crash tested manufactured in India? No. In that case, aren't City Owners jumping the gun in celebrating?

I mean, sorry to spoil the party but let's be objective and not subjective.
Well, kiku007, why do you assume I don't own a Thai variant of the city? Hmm..

Come on, it's the closest like to like, Honda city owners in India could compare and be happy about. There isn't any fact misrepresentation here, just feeling good that the Honda city is built well, It is not as if someone with a Ford rejoiced about the city clearing the tests

Anyways, I was kidding about the Thai variant
Old 5th September 2014, 02:07   #22
Team-BHP Support

ASEAN NCAP Q3 2014 Crash Test Results (Honda City & Tata Vista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpacman
Honda city is built well
Has to be the most mis-understood term on the forum!

Have seen the previous gen city take quite a hit from a basketball impact, forget the current generation which feels like it's made of ultra thin sheet metal! Doesn't qualify as well-built IMO; even if it has a hundred crumple zones to get crushed around the cabin and get destroyed in its attempt to save passengers from the lightest of impacts.

I'm not saying my definition of well-built is the correct one. Just my opinion.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th September 2014 at 02:10.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 08:56   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpacman View Post
Come on, it's the closest like to like, Honda city owners in India could compare and be happy about. There isn't any fact misrepresentation here, just feeling good that the Honda city is built well, It is not as if someone with a Ford rejoiced about the city clearing the tests
Again, please don't misinterpret the results in the interest of your own safety. Considering whatever limited data (Which has already been posted in this thread) is available it isn't quite convincing that both the cars are same to same.

End of the day, it's your car and you can have an subjective view on it but some posts like, "this proves that the City is built well.." is taking things too far and could mislead a buyer.
Old 5th September 2014, 09:34   #24
BHPian

Tata scored well in terms of passenger side compared to city. As mentioned earlier it could be due to larger steering wheel made the score worse. If this part has been taken care then tata could easily beat city.
Old 5th September 2014, 09:38   #25
BHPian

Sharing a read, in case someone didn't see it.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...rs-384684.aspx

As stated in the article:

"
It’s important to note that while most of these Malaysian-made models may look similar to the ones sold in India, there may be a difference in the grade of sheet metal used for their manufacture. Hence, some Indian made cars may perform differently when subjected to the same test. It is best to look at these ratings as a guideline rather than an absolute rating.
"

It again goes back to the same old question that I keep asking without getting answers. What extent of bad material are we talking about for Indian manufactured cars? What are our factories lacking? Raw material quality? processing of raw materials not done the way it should?
Old 5th September 2014, 09:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkishore_007 View Post
It again goes back to the same old question that I keep asking without getting answers. What extent of bad material are we talking about for Indian manufactured cars? What are our factories lacking? Raw material quality? processing of raw materials not done the way it should?
To give you an idea, I read it somewhere (not able to recall the source now) that when Ford decided to introduce the Ecosport in European markets, they had to add more than 150 new elements in the structure alone to successfully conduct the Euro NCAP crash test.

Hope this clarifies bit of doubts in your mind.

*EDIT*

Googled and could find one link : Made in India Ford EcoSport tweaked for Europe; gets 300 changes!

Last edited by tbppjpr : 5th September 2014 at 09:50.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 09:50   #27
BHPian

Don't be so excited yet Honda City owners! As the above post mentions, the build is different in the Indian manufactured City. Unless the Govt puts strict rules in place, we will continue to be dumped upon by all the car manufacturers. In a way we are to blame since all that most of the Indian population cares about is - "kitna deti hai"?
yo_shiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great! Wonder if those celebrating early ever take efforts to get all details. For a first, compare the road traffic and driver behavior conditions before imaging our Indian made City will be as safe as the one crash tested by ASEAN NCAP.

Honda, I'm guessing, will milk this opportunity with placards in their showrooms, like what Ford did for the Figo. God help the lesser aware. For sure the sales advisors will use this into their sales pitch, if they learn about this crash test results.

On a separate note, these crash tests at just 60kph are good but aren't revealing more. Why don't these folks also test and post results from high speed crash tests? Like at around 120kph or more. Those are the tests that will benefit more and also, reveal more. Lots of individuals driving like crazies in the highways, high speed crash test results also matter for our country.

Last edited by k_ajay : 5th September 2014 at 10:42.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:43   #29

I would not draw any conclusions out of crash test ratings on a car manufactured in a plant outside India. I would really want the Indian version to be tested. The thinner sheet metal, the tinny doors, etc could be India specific cost-cutting. Besides, I am not sure if side impact was tested. In the absence of side and curtain airbags the city is sure to score low. So I am really surprised by such a high rating.

Having lost two close family members in a side impact accident I have begun to take the safety features pretty seriously. As an owner of a Honda City I don't feel safe at all, given the build quality is really poor (in my opinion). And these ratings do not provide any comfort. I would be glad to be proven wrong though.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:57   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
On a separate note, these crash tests at just 60kph are good but aren't revealing more. Why don't these folks also test and post results from high speed crash tests? Like at around 120kph or more.
The crash tests conducted at 64 kmph for Euro NCAP actually represents two cars colliding head on at 55 kmph - as they have also compensated for the energy absorbed by the deformable face while crashing.

Read somewhere earlier that high speed crashes most frequently occur around the 60 kph mark and hence the speed was chosen. Even in cases like 120 kph driving as you have suggested, the actual crash might be occuring close to 60 kph unless the driver didn't react to the situation at all!

PS - All the data is for international markets. I think the average speeds should be lesser in India, but yes - some people do drive way beyond these limits as you mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks