Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2014, 17:06   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano at 100+ kph

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
I have fitted broader tyres on my car to get better road grip and to be honest it never felt scary on those couple of times I touched 105Kmph.
Regards,
SS
What size tyres have you fitted on your Nano?
Old 17th September 2014, 09:49   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How does anti-roll bar help?
Hello Sheel, I think wikipedia can answer your question. Here is the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar.

"An anti-roll bar (anti-sway bar, sway bar, stabilizer bar) is a part of many automobile suspensions that helps reduce the body roll of a vehicle during fast cornering or over road irregularities."

Fast cornering is what we do on Mumbai Pune expressway. Example is Sinhgad Institute turn after we cross Lonavla (going towards Pune).

By the way, after reading the review on Team-BHP only I had decided to purchase the 2012 Tata Nano. I could not post pictures that time since I became member this year, 2 years after purchasing the nano.
Old 17th September 2014, 11:38   #78
Team-BHP Support

Thanks.

Though I should have mentioned, I mistook anti roll bar for a roll cage and forgot about it.
Old 20th September 2014, 23:24   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
What size tyres have you fitted on your Nano?
Hi DI,

I have alloy wheels on my Nano and on the rear I have 165x60x12 Yokohama tyres. The front remains the same as no tyre maker other than JK makes the size 135x50x12.
However, a Bridgestone dealer tells me that now they have 145x50x12 and that should fit so I might try that out.

Regards,
SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

P.P.S. The Nano is the top of our shopping list when it's time for us to get a car for my wife for city use. I'd prefer the power-steering and AMT version for ease-of-use. I'd still NEVER take it to the highway.
Hi Chetan,

I live in Goa. NH17 runs right through Goa. Wherever you go you are on the highway even if it's for your daily shopping. I have no qualms about driving it on the highway and mixing it with trucks and buses at all.
Safer than being on a two wheeler - which is why I bought it.

Regards,
SS

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st September 2014 at 09:07.
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 10:06   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
The front remains the same as no tyre maker other than JK makes the size 135x50x12.
MRF does make them!

The stock tyres on my Nano are MRF.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:54   #81
BHPian

Name the Thread - EGO OVERTAKING !

I think we are talking of Nano, but even a Hero Honda Splendor can over take you in ego.

Recently i over took a splendor on Nasik Mumbai highway at 70-80 Kmph after couple of passes as he was driving in the middle , which was a big ego hurt to that IDIOT ! He overtook me with a zip and then came right in front of my car , left the handle and showed his 6''IN biceps .... Clear and perfect case for a disaster.

I want to say that even a 100 CC 7 BHP motorcycle can do a 100+, Lets not look down at Nano. Speed should never be questioned.

The higher the speed the less safe be it any car, in a super safe car one can survive a bad crash inside, but may end up killing people outside, but in a little not so safe cars damage can be at both ends.

Lets not make speed an EGO OBJECT !
Old 27th February 2015, 19:26   #82
BHPian

Simply put, I don't understand the people who take Nano beyond it's design capabilities, or their mentality.

Nano was designed to be an economical city car.

Why are we trying to test it's top speeds on Highways (within cities in some cases) endangering the lives of innocent bystanders? This is absolutely criminal.

Besides, it's other USP is FE. At those speeds, I am sure, that aspect goes for a toss as well. Anything more than 60kmph in a Nano will kill its FE.

Hence the question as to why do people even attempt idiotic things like this.

Be a safe driver and help others as well by being safe.
Old 27th February 2015, 22:05   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Simply put, I don't understand the people who take Nano beyond it's design capabilities, or their mentality.

Nano was designed to be an economical citye.
I would like a bit of clarity here. The Nano was designed to be a spacious, cheap and safe vehicle. It only happens to have had attributes which suited city use.
I agree with all the other points mentioned. The worst part is that even bicycles try to overtake you if you're driving slow in a congested street
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 22:49   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I would like a bit of clarity here. The Nano was designed to be a spacious, cheap and safe vehicle. It only happens to have had attributes which suited city use.
I agree with all the other points mentioned. The worst part is that even bicycles try to overtake you if you're driving slow in a congested street
Thanks for the reply.
To counter your point, bicycles would try and overtake you (hopefully without damaging your ride) even if you are in a Bugatti.
Old 27th February 2015, 23:37   #85
BHPian

@ Nissan1180
Sorry, but I wanted to make some amends to my comment.

I am not where you got this info about Nano's requirements, but I am sure FE, ease of maneuvering within city and cost of ownership for lower middle class bikers were on Mr. Tata's mind when he briefed his engineers.

Also, being spacious was just a by-product of being a small car.
Old 19th March 2015, 10:22   #86
BHPian

Dear All,

I think Nano is a good city car. However, we should always look at the purpose for which this car was built. It was not built for doing something extra-ordinary but it will serve well if we drive it the way it is supposed to be driven.

We have people who do long trips on a nano with no issues. If the car is sedately driven at speeds below 80 km/h, there should not be any issue.

Warm Regards,

Sajeesh
Old 19th March 2015, 10:56   #87
Senior - BHPian

I have lived with the Nano for a week, and I think the engine has the capacity to propel the car to decent highway speeds, the only issue is the aggressive rev limiter/speed limiter which actually cuts off the engine when the speed gets to between 105 to 110kmph, at that speed, the engine and the car feels that it has a lot more power left in reserve!!! I am not sure of the source, but I read that the speed of the Nano is restricted by the wheel bearings.
Also the drum brakes at all four ends are not confidence inspiring, in fact I couldn't maintain speeds greater that 80kmph on open roads, because I was not sure if the car will stop if needed during emergency braking.
But from 0 till 60kmph the Nano can surprise most other cars and shame a few, between 60-100 it is decently quick in fact quicker than the Alto/800 brigade, it all boils down to the really low 600kg kerb weight.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 23:41   #88
BHPian

Dear All,
Having completed the expressway run to Mumbai and back, the Nano is more suited for the City, period. I'm not talking about the power or speed here but just want to highlight the safety issues here.

1. Very prone to wind buffeting, so if a Volvo or a heavy vehicle overtakes you, you tend to get dragged or tossed a bit. This can be very unsettling.

2. Braking is not a strongest point. Throught the trip, i never exceeded 80 Kms, a big effort considering the fact that Nano can easily accelerate to 90-100 quickly. It's only the changing whine of the engine brings your attention back to the speedo.

3. No sudden maneuvers, very unsafe and may topple over when done at high speeds.

So, i just cant help but wonder, when folks here have mentioned or have experienced Nano crossing triple digits and are miffed about the speed limiter. I'd suggest to go easy on the accelerator, and enjoy the drive and the resultant FE it gives.

The last trip to Mumbai gave me 26 kmpl approx. Filled at shell Wakad 15 liters. Refilled back at shell Wakad. Distance traveled 376 Kms
kutoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 01:59   #89
BHPian

After about 50k kms and multiple highway drives in my Nano, I can safely say that the vehicle is perfectly capable of cruising at a century all day long. Only downside is slightly poor fuel economy. Just replace front tyres with the broader rear tyres (155 section), both braking and handling improves significantly. Of course, one has to have a tight grip on the steering wheel and eyes peeled looking ahead.

P.S.: The speed limit on the Nanos with power steering is 120km/h AFAIK.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 06:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
P.S.: The speed limit on the Nanos with power steering is 120km/h AFAIK.
The fuel cut-off in manual Nano happens at 105kmph, while that for Automatic happens at 110kmph if I am not mistaken.

By the way, the last comment on this thread was almost 7 years ago!

Being an ex-owner of Nano XTA and taking it on multiple highway runs, I have found that though the car can keep up with other buggies out there, but in no way it feels safe at those speeds.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks