Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2015, 13:45   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kubotan: The $5 safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Taseem,

Thank you for this informative and insightful thread.

Thanks to this thread, I think I found the purpose of one side of a hammer I have in my tool kit in the car. Could you confirm from the picture if it is the same as the kubotan?

It does not have a pointed end, hence my doubt.
Yep, that tool is for breaking the glass. But did it come with your car's tool kit?
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kubotan: The $5 safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire

This is what I have in my car key chain : Resqme The Original Keychain Car Escape Tool
Kubotan: The  safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire-resqme.jpg
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 15:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yep, that tool is for breaking the glass. But did it come with your car's tool kit?
Oh no, this is part of a tool kit that I carry in the car which is non-Ford.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 19:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Happy to meet a fellow EDC nut! Are you active over at everydaycarry.com? Check it out, you will love it.

This is me there.
Thanks. No, I am not active at everydaycarrry.com, however, i have checked out the website and its pretty cool. You get the urge to buy things straight away!
Also check out uncrate.com. This website has pretty cool stuff especially if you check out the "gear" section. I'm sure you'll get hooked on to this website. Let me know your comments on this website.
embee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 18:04   #35
BHPian

Thank you for this information. It is very informative and useful. I always thought of having some safety equipment like this in my car, now that I have so many options will get the Kubotan and the fire extinguisher. I carry a first aid kit and Torch only when I am travelling on a trip or long drives. I should be making it a permanent thing in the car. These can also be used for our own safety incase of any attacks as such at odd times, atleast the attacker wont take us for granted on seeing something like this in our hands.
Sunsh!nes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 23:13   #36
BHPian

well, to me the gear lock pin would just do great in breaking glass in emergency.
adroit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 23:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I must say that presence of mind and not panicking are the most important survivor skills that one should have in such situations.
Absolutely! A clear mind is invaluable during emergencies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan View Post
Just curious, how will your 10ft rope on your wrist will help, I mean its use.
Paracord is invaluable to me! The last time it came in handy was when the shoelace snapped on my hiking boot. I don't think anybody carries spare shoelaces and on a dangerous hike, no shoes could mean death. Though my hike was far from dangerous. I've also used it multiple times to tie down luggage, dry clothes while on hikes and even fix a broken strap on a backpack.

The main thing is that it's incredibly strong for its size.

Oh about the bracelet, I made that. It's quite simple. Just google for paracord bracelet instructable and you'd have it.

Also see this for some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Could you confirm from the picture if it is the same as the kubotan?
That's not a Kubotan, but it sure is for breaking glass. Google glass breaker hammer. Looks similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
With all due respect, its better to have a seat belt cutter and window smasher in one unit rather than have 2. Not to mention that small items have a far greater probability of getting moved or misplaced in the time of need.
I completely agree. Though I would urge you to try that blade out once. One of the main reasons why a lot of people dislike such devices is because it's really difficult to cut seatbelt with a knife you cannot move lengthwise. Of course if the blade is incredibly sharp and the seatbelt is taut, then yes you may be able to.

Logic dictates that the best option to cut a seatbelt is using a good pair of scissors like emergency personnel do.

Also, another logic to go by is if you'd be able to use it blindfolded and how quickly.

Again, not to argue with you. But I personally wouldn't place all my confidence on such a 'jack of all trades ' device. And I only urge you to test it. If it works, nothing like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
This is what I have in my car key chain : Resqme The Original Keychain Car Escape Tool
That is a really neat tool. I've gifted multiple ones to friends. Though what worries me is if it doesn't work the first time around. Resetting may not work under heavy stress..

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
check out uncrate.com.
That's a cool website! Thanks for sharing, bookmarked. Take a look at Indefinitelywild and GearPatrol. Both are good reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post
These can also be used for our own safety incase of any attacks as such at odd times
Glad you enjoyed the post. One of the tips I live by is if you're attacked while in your car, never step out. Your vehicle is your fort and biggest weapon.

See this.
Tassem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 00:27   #38
BHPian

Glad you enjoyed the post. One of the tips I live by is if you're attacked while in your car, never step out. Your vehicle is your fort and biggest weapon.

See this.[/quote]

rightly said , but it could be the rarest of the rare case depending on circumstances. Any which ways it helps
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About 100ft of 550 Paracord
Where can one buy this 550 Paracord? Any hardware store or only online?

This website might interest you too (though chances are you might already be aware of it)

http://www.oliveplanet.in/

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:38   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Great post Tassem, one of the most useful I have come across. Thank you!

PS - I always carry my Victorinox, rope, an air compressor with me, especially whilst driving on long distance trips. Must add the ResQMe device to my list of must-haves.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd May 2015 at 19:42.
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Great post Tassem, one of the most useful I have come across. Thank you!

PS - I always carry my Victorinox, rope, an air compressor with me, especially whilst driving on long distance trips. Must add the ResQMe device to my list of must-haves.
Guys where and how much for can I buy the reqme for? Any pointers will be appreciated..

Also could you advise if the polo has a manual override from inside
Old 23rd May 2015, 14:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
That's a cool website! Thanks for sharing, bookmarked. Take a look at Indefinitelywild and GearPatrol. Both are good reads.

Taasem, i'm glad you liked this website. Just to be on a safe side, keep your credit card away while going through the contents of this website. You'll get the urge to buy things. I have gone through the same thing!!

I had already seen gearpatrol.com. I checked out indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com. it's a nice site. Thanks.

Also on the finishing note, lets start a proper thread dedicated to EVERY-DAY-CARRYS. What say?
Old 25th May 2015, 00:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyS View Post
Guys where and how much for can I buy the reqme for? Any pointers will be appreciated..
I have seen it on some Indian websites but the price was exorbitant.
The best bet is to order from Amazon.com and have someone carry from US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Also on the finishing note, lets start a proper thread dedicated to EVERY-DAY-CARRYS. What say?
+1
In fact, I remember Taasem starting one but I guess it got merged with some other thread.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I know the SAK has a knife. But a dedicated knife has it's uses. My favorite pocket carry is the Spyderco UKPK.
Thanks Tassem for the detailed post. How is a person who is carrying all these in a vehicle seen by the police in the event of a checking ?

I was traveling to my adjacent state and there happens to be a sudden check on all vehicles for some reason. There was a another police official who had a camera with him shooting the entire search done by the other. If you happen to face such situations with all these tools with you ! !

From legal stand point are you allowed to carry these with you at all times? Not 100% sure, but I heard that any person carrying a weapon that possibly can harm others can be arrested in POTA if the police officials like (Which i guess, they will be happy to exercise if you do not have enough notes with you)

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2015 at 12:51. Reason: Formatted Typo
Old 19th June 2015, 17:26   #45
BHPian

Hi Experts,

Any reviews of the below tool? Planning to buy this one.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/moto...5-in-1/1410929

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks