Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 20:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Assam bans sale of Alto, Swift, i10, Eon, Jazz and several other small cars

An activist non governmental organization is, by definition - activist. It has certain aims and so will use social media / physical protests, dharnas, court cases etc to make their point. For their agenda, governments and/or corporations frequently find themselves in conflict with them - and I have also seen many cases where other NGOs (or frequently the very same NGOs, in international fora) work closely with industry / government representatives in what is called "multistakeholderism" - meaning everybody has a stake in the process.

If their interests / views are brushed aside then I guess they may turn activist instead and go through the dharna, court case etc route.

Nothing about "vested interests" here - please look beyond the current indian narrative on Greenpeace etc.

Last edited by hserus : 24th August 2015 at 20:18.
Old 25th August 2015, 10:53   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Since you are VERY SURE that safety had nothing to do with this order, and are implying that there is another REAL reason for this order, do you mind elaborating on what is the real reason that you suspect?

If you read the order, the PIL asks the state to enforce the Motor Vehicle's Act amongst other things. The judge is only asking the central government to follow the law that was already drafted in 1988.

OK, may be I was wrong. It did have 'something' to do with safety. I dont know all the angles, that is why I was asking for people to comment on the possible reasons as to why a HC would get into looking at these sort of issues. (Especially when the system is horribly backlogged with cases ).

Usually, there is a vested interest that motivates such cases. Sometimes in response to a PIL all that the judge can really do is make the appropriate noises and pass an 'order' and consider his job done to close the PIL.

I doubt anyone here is against safety.

I am just as curious to know what motivated this 'order' and PIL.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 14:53   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
OK, may be I was wrong. It did have 'something' to do with safety. I dont know all the angles, that is why I was asking for people to comment on the possible reasons as to why a HC would get into looking at these sort of issues. (Especially when the system is horribly backlogged with cases ).

I am just as curious to know what motivated this 'order' and PIL.
Well, I can only assume that the 2 PIL's were filed since citizens like you and me were concerned following the ENCAP test results in Nov 2014. Even subsequent comments in the media by the automomobile managements did not inspire any confidence that the industry would pull up its socks unless it was forced to do so. I distinctly remember when I was raising my concerns about the weak frontal safety in my Maruti car and the absence of crash testing reports, one of the members here asked me to file a PIL.

Well, these people did so, and asked that the laws as laid down in the MV Act be followed in letter and spirit where crash testing and emission norms be drawn up and made mandatory before sale of any vehicle.

The court took up the matter in due course and after giving adequate notice to all the concerned parties including the ARAI, Union government, Bureau of Indian Standards, Automotive Industries Standards Committee, the arguments were conducted. Subsequently the court passed this order. Since the jurisdiction of the court was confined to Assam, the order only applies there.

I'm certain that the automotive companies will challenge this order, but I'm just glad that the judiciary has taken a step that will make the crash testing reports public.

I'm still appalled that I still cannot find out the crash test reports for the S Cross, Ciaz, Creta or any of the other cars that I'm considering upgrading to. Its callous that even after this huge publicity on safety, we Indians simply do not know the actual safety ratings of our vehicles, while these same manufacturers proudly advertise a 5 star rating for their export markets.

Last edited by Lalvaz : 25th August 2015 at 14:55.
Lalvaz is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 21:05   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Well, I can only assume that the 2 PIL's were filed since citizens like you and me were concerned following the ENCAP test results in Nov 2014. Even subsequent comments in the media by the automomobile managements did not inspire any confidence that the industry would pull up its socks unless it was forced to do so. I distinctly remember when I was raising my concerns about the weak frontal safety in my Maruti car and the absence of crash testing reports, one of the members here asked me to file a PIL.

Well, these people did so, and asked that the laws as laid down in the MV Act be followed in letter and spirit where crash testing and emission norms be drawn up and made mandatory before sale of any vehicle.

The court took up the matter in due course and after giving adequate notice to all the concerned parties including the ARAI, Union government, Bureau of Indian Standards, Automotive Industries Standards Committee, the arguments were conducted. Subsequently the court passed this order. Since the jurisdiction of the court was confined to Assam, the order only applies there.

I'm certain that the automotive companies will challenge this order, but I'm just glad that the judiciary has taken a step that will make the crash testing reports public.

I'm still appalled that I still cannot find out the crash test reports for the S Cross, Ciaz, Creta or any of the other cars that I'm considering upgrading to. Its callous that even after this huge publicity on safety, we Indians simply do not know the actual safety ratings of our vehicles, while these same manufacturers proudly advertise a 5 star rating for their export markets.
As far as I know, none of the vehicles made in India have any form of crash testing certificate from an authority, barring cbu and imports. I also know makers such as Tata have a full fledged in house crash testing facility but i am not sure if their vehicles sold here meet international crash norms...

I am also interested in knowing how can a safe car like bmw protect its occupants when it collides against a street lamp left in middle of a road? I am referring to that accident pic where in bmw was torn in the middle due a street lamp pole
Old 25th August 2015, 23:04   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
As far as I know, none of the vehicles made in India have any form of crash testing certificate from an authority, barring cbu and imports. I also know makers such as Tata have a full fledged in house crash testing facility but i am not sure if their vehicles sold here meet international crash norms...

I am also interested in knowing how can a safe car like bmw protect its occupants when it collides against a street lamp left in middle of a road? I am referring to that accident pic where in bmw was torn in the middle due a street lamp pole
According to this link, the Indica and Safari were crash tested. Also Scorpio was crash tested in 2003.
http://www.tata.com/article/inside/d...=/TLYVr3YPkMU=

Interestingly, the ARAI had claimed in 2003 that safety norms like crash tests would be implemented in the next 3 years. I think they conveniently forgot their promises or were "convinced" that it is not required in India.
Old 25th August 2015, 23:47   #126
BHPian

Hi everybody.
I have read the first page and the last page so I am not sure if this question has been asked.
As per the judgement I wonder how will it affect the cars registered in other states and travelling to Assam or through Assam? Also the query is for taxis which are registered elsewhere and plying to Assam? Like the Meghalaya cabs running between Guwahati and Shillong carrying per seat paasengers.
Regards
Old 26th August 2015, 00:15   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody.
I have read the first page and the last page so I am not sure if this question has been asked.
As per the judgement I wonder how will it affect the cars registered in other states and travelling to Assam or through Assam? Also the query is for taxis which are registered elsewhere and plying to Assam? Like the Meghalaya cabs running between Guwahati and Shillong carrying per seat paasengers.
Regards
No problems in either case. This order only affects the sale of cars that have not been crash tested or pollution checked from being sold in Assam. No other impact.
Lalvaz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 08:17   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

As Expected, Relief for carmakers - Car sales set to resume in Assam after Gauhati HC decision.

Quote:
Siam said in its petition that all cars sold in India are certified and have passed crash, emission and other mandatory norms prescribed by the Motor Vehicles Act and have been duly tested by authorities such as the Automotive Research Association of India.
Quote:
Car sales are set to resume in Assam after the Gauhati High Court allowed the sale of vehicles that meet prescribed crash test and emission norms in the country, reversing an earlier ruling and bringing relief to carmakers
Quote:
There cannot be any prohibition restricting registration and sale of four-wheelers with a mass of up to 1,500 kg and quadricycles that have undergone the crash and emission tests conforming to the requirements and standards set by the Bureau of Indian Standards...and vehicles which have been certified by the statutory authority

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ision/48690913

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th August 2015 at 08:30.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 16:46   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
As Expected, Relief for carmakers - Car sales set to resume in Assam after Gauhati HC decision.
Of course HC was aware before passing the stay order that
"all cars sold in India are certified and have passed crash, emission and other mandatory norms prescribed by the Motor Vehicles Act and have been duly tested by authorities such as the Automotive Research Association of India."

So the HC pulled out a rabbit from the hat, let it play for a while and then put it back in the hat.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 18:49   #130
BHPian

I don't know how the dealers in Guwahati were knowing well ahead that stay order will be implemented on the earlier decision. A few of the dealers who are customers of our Bank had already anticipated the same and had told me so on the same day the court order was passed.
pranjal1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 01:42   #131
Senior - BHPian

Re: Assam bans sale & registration of Alto, Swift, i10, Eon, Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
That way, any court in India can ban sale of anything which does not meet international standards (cars are definitely not the only consumer goods which fall in this category!).

Banning seems to be the in-thing these days. Anyone who is someone will do what they can to impose a ban!
Maybe someone should impose a ban on banning....? I seriously wonder whether anyone will be able to do much more than breathe (legally speaking) with a decade or two more of this.

I actually have had occasion for some friendly morning chats with one of the newly-appointed G.H.C. judges, who lives across the street from my in-laws'. Would be very curious to hear his perspective on this, but unfortunately there's a few thousand km's of Himalayas presently standing in the way of any such potential de-mystifications...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 28th August 2015 at 01:44.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 05:56   #132
Senior - BHPian

Re: Assam bans sale & registration of Alto, Swift, i10, Eon, Jazz

Out of propriety judges will not comment - typically, even informally, on any case which is sub judice, subject to any appeals etc. This case hasn't been fully wrapped up yet.
Old 28th August 2015, 14:30   #133
BHPian

Don't they already know that the cars sold in India have been already passed the relevant tests carried out in India? Or it was assumed previously that G-NCAP is part of one of those Indian testing authorities?
We do not know the actual context of either judgements, but the way the media actually puts it makes this entire banning and revoking in two weeks drama funny.
Now all the vehicles failed G-NCAP tests are highly qualified to be driven around the mountainous regions of North East, without any problems!
Old 30th August 2015, 18:43   #134
BHPian

PERSONALLY, It all depends on your Head & Heart

If you have the the rational brain (head) you will look for SAFETY, Handling, Comfort rather than "kitna deti hai"

If you love and care (heart) for the people who travel in your vehicle you will certainly keep SAFETY on top of your list.

If you have not started doing so, start now, when you plan to buy / upgrade to your next car.

Death is something no human can avoid BUT certainly an event which you can prolong.

After having acquired so many educational qualifications we should be capable enough to add to it a little common sense (which is not common).

My best wishes to make SAFETY your primary aspect.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 30th August 2015 at 19:02.
Old 1st September 2015, 16:12   #135
BHPian

Gauhati High Court revokes ban on sale of certain cars in Assam

Link - http://overdrive.in/news/gauhati-hig...cars-in-assam/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks