Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 20:13   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Eliminating Blind Spots - How to correctly adjust the mirrors

I have my left ORVM set to its furthest outer reach (I can only see my car's LHS rear edge if I tilt my head back and left a little bit), but the driver side ORVM doesn't move out as much as the left one - at its furthest, I can still see the RHS rear edge of the car sitting in my driving position - so there's a bit of defensive watch-over-the-shoulder involved, but not enough to be bothersome.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 17:19   #92

Hello,

I bought a used i20 elite 2016 petrol but it's left ORVM never used to work. The mirror adjustment part. The right orvm used to work flawlessly. Now a few days back the right one also stopped working. Both the mirrors fold without any noise or anything but the mirror adjustment does not work.

Any idea what could be the issue? I don't see a lot of mechanics repairing such things, anyone in mumbai who does this? Maybe changing in the switch would work? Or I can see Outside mirror actuator assembly being sold by boodmo. Is it responsible for controlling? I heard it controls adjuatment as well as fold but fold is working adjustment is not so not sure if it's an issue.

I went to a few mechanics and they suggested replacing the whole mirror.

Any ideas??
Old 6th July 2023, 10:58   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I have my left ORVM set to its furthest outer reach (I can only see my car's LHS rear edge if I tilt my head back and left a little bit), but the driver side ORVM doesn't move out as much as the left one - at its furthest, I can still see the RHS rear edge of the car sitting in my driving position - so there's a bit of defensive watch-over-the-shoulder involved, but not enough to be bothersome.
Would you by any chance be driving a Mercedes?

Cheers
Old 6th July 2023, 11:53   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Would you by any chance be driving a Mercedes?
Not at all, good sir! Curious what gave you that impression
Old 6th July 2023, 12:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not at all, good sir! Curious what gave you that impression
I ask because Mercedes cars in India seem to have this issue. Just before the pandemic I went to Merc to do TDs on a C-class; and I found that I could not adjust the driver's side mirror to NOT show any part of the car.

I attributed this to either Merc not bothering to do s proper job of adapting their cars to the RHD markets; or doing so but ignoring India because third-world country.

LHD means Left mirror can be adjusted to show only road and Right mirror does not need so much of movement. They retained that even for India. In my eyes that was either lazy or arrogant because I am sure they would not have done this for UK or Oz.

I noticed this issue in every car they had, irrespective of class and trims.

I walked out of the showroom without doing as TD because in my opinion it was a safety issue - being unable to adjust mirrors to required levels.

And even though it has been a dream of mine to own a Merc, I shall never buy one in India.
Old 6th July 2023, 23:48   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

I was taught that "correctly" adjusted mirrors should show a little along the side of one's own car. The reason I was given for this is that it allows the brain to properly judge angles. Without it, you are looking at a reflection that could be anywhere. If you want better vision of the blind spot, add a small blind-spot mirror. The mirrors are not intended to eradicate the need for glances over the shoulder. That's why it is called a blind spot.

Consequently I have always adjusted my mirrors thus. It works for me. I guess who people who do not do this have some way of adjusting to what you see.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks