Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 16:15   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India-made Hyundai Creta scores 4 / 5 stars in the Latin NCAP!

So Evidently they Test the Base variant?

Would Imply that the Indian Base Variant without Airbags wouldn't pass with as many stars - Maybe 3?

So while the performance in Latin NCAP is very creditable it does not imply the same for India. That said matching kerb weights for specific variants as seen do imply that the Indian variants are more or less similar in terms of safety for that variant.

I would suggest that Hyundai either discontinue the base variant or add Airbags.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 16:27   #17
BHPian

Hyundai definitely builds strong cars. I could feel it when I closed the Elite i20's door. But unfortunately they've not done the same for it's younger light weight sibling Grand i10.
They have done justice to the Creta's price by making it sturdy and safe.

By the way, Does anybody have any idea of how much the India Spec Honda City(4th gen) scored in the Latin NCAP?
Old 17th December 2015, 16:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Would Imply that the Indian Base Variant without Airbags wouldn't pass with as many stars - Maybe 3?
No airbags means zero-star safety. IMHO, the thread title is misleading. It should read - "Indian-made Export Hyundai......."
PatchyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 17:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
IMHO, the thread title is misleading. It should read - "Indian-made Export Hyundai......."
I agree. The kerb weight being the same is not proof of identical construction. Lower grade steel is not necessarily lighter. The only cars whose safety ratings are beyond doubt are the ones sold here and tested by Global NCAP.

It is necessary that consumers in India insist that the made-for-India (and not just the made-in-India) version be crash tested.
Old 17th December 2015, 18:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Yes these tests are always on the base variant. So the Creta sold in India, if tested would most likely score 0 stars since the base variant does not come with airbags. This is what happened to the India Polo last year. The base did not have airbags and scored 0 stars. VW responded by making airbags standard and in a subsequent test the Polo scored 4 stars.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 18:32   #21
BHPian

This is sure a great feat!! Hyundai can proactively issue a statement if the car in question is the one sold in India. If it is indeed the creta sold in India, why is Hyundai not marketing it or releasing an official statement? I look forward to our own proposed crash testing organization. That should stop this confusion about which car was tested.

BTW, I only came to know from this thread that the expensive creta doesn't come with even a single airbag in the base variant. Simply unacceptable. Not cool at all!!
veyron_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 21:29   #22
BHPian

I don't think there is enough info here to be very excited about. AFAIK the i10 which was exported from India scored 4 stars in crash tests abroad but the same car coming from the same plant sold in the domestic market scored 0 stars with unstable structure. So I don't think there is any guarantee that the tested car is same as the one sold in India. Also remember the instance where even magna i20 came with 5 star safety stickers. I got to travel in the elite i20 for almost 3 hrs and though the engine was refined with fantastic looking interiors, it simply lacked the cocooned/safe feeling on the inside & ride wasn't good enough either. Build quality felt just acceptable to me. May be that's how Korean cars are. Haven't tried the Creta in such detail though. I really hope atleast the present gen Hyundai's are safer so that people can go out and buy cars with a lot more peace of mind. If Hyundai is still playing with our lives I hope they will be taught a lesson. But I want to believe that's not the case.

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 17th December 2015 at 21:35.
Old 17th December 2015, 22:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
AFAIK the i10 which was exported from India scored 4 stars in crash tests abroad but the same car coming from the same plant sold in the domestic market scored 0 stars with unstable structure. So I don't think there is any guarantee that the tested car is same as the one sold in India. Also remember the instance where even magna i20 came with 5 star safety stickers. I got to travel in the elite i20 for almost 3 hrs and though the engine was refined with fantastic looking interiors, it simply lacked the cocooned/safe feeling on the inside & ride wasn't good enough either. Build quality felt just acceptable to me.
While there is no guarantee that the structure is same , it is more likely to be similar because Latin America is a bunch of third world nations similar to India with not so strict safety norms while the i10 was exported to Europe where the norms are stricter .

Stickers don't say much. Have you heard of the sticker controversy in the Chennai floods? Stickers with Amma branding( The Chief Minister J Jayalalitha is fondly called Amma ) were forcibly stuck on relief materials dispatched by private individuals and trusts under the force of violence. This was done to mislead the people that it was the governement that was helping.
Old 18th December 2015, 13:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: India-made Hyundai Creta scores 4 / 5 stars in the Latin NCAP!

Get ready for big stickers on Creta highlighting this feat.

I would still like to hear the official statement from Hyundai on whether the car is same as sold in India, but yes it should be as its not a Europe spec model.

It should also not be surprising considering the price one is paying for Creta.
Old 18th December 2015, 13:44   #25
BHPian

The title is misleading - It should clearly say "India-made Export Version of Hyundai Creta..." or "India-made Hyundai Creta (Export Version)..."

The misled title along with phrases "The car is built by Hyundai in India." will make people feel that Indian versions have got tested. 4-star safety might be true and I believe so for a vehicle as costly as Creta - but we should not claim unless we have proof.
vinodvayyat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 13:58   #26
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
The title is misleading - It should clearly say "India-made Export Version of Hyundai Creta..." or "India-made Hyundai Creta (Export Version)..."
That's correct. Accordingly, I see that the moderators have now changed "Indian" Creta to a more accurate "India-made" Creta, including in the title.

Thank you, mods!

Last edited by RSR : 18th December 2015 at 14:02.
Old 18th December 2015, 14:20   #27
BHPian

Was really excited to read the title and the posts and then it struck me, the Indian version does not have an Airbag as standard, so there must be some difference.

All I can do is 'hope' that Hyundai is selling those in India as well. Atleast the top end variants can then be slightly more assured.

And yeah, where are the Indian crash facilities??? It is a shame that even after so many years since cars stopped being a 'luxury' item we don't have things in place.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:03   #28
BHPian

Congrats to all Creta owners. This at least proves that structurally the vehicle is sound. Both the Latin American Creta and Indian Creta weigh almost the same. Another good reason to buy the Creta over the S-cross.

Maruti - Are you listening? Or are you still obsessed with fuel efficient lite-weight cars?
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:09   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Congrats to all Creta owners. This at least proves that structurally the vehicle is sound. Both the Latin American Creta and Indian Creta weigh almost the same. Another good reason to buy the Creta over the S-cross.
Hope you are aware the ASEAN NCAP rating of S Cross is 5 Star(AOP) rated!

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/suzuki-s-c...-rating-775558

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd December 2015 at 11:15.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:07   #30
BHPian

To quote from the article, "The agency used an S-Cross manufactured at Suzuki's manufacturing facility in Hungary, and the car in question sported specifications for the Malaysian and Singaporean market. Its list of standard safety provisions comprises 7 airbags, including that for the driver and front passenger, and ESC." So I don't know if this is relevant for the Indian S Cross at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks