Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2016, 00:47   #31
BHPian

One more life lost due to faulty Takata Airbags. Isn't this kind of murder? IMO, it is because these accidents wouldn't have killed them if there was no airbags. Sadly money covers all these murders :(

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...n=TOI&from=mdr
sid93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 08:52   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 60 Million Car Bombs: Inside Takata’s Airbag Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid93 View Post
One more life lost due to faulty Takata Airbags. Isn't this kind of murder? IMO, it is because these accidents wouldn't have killed them if there was no airbags. Sadly money covers all these murders :(
True, there is absolutely no excuse for this. Takata must be slapped with so many lawsuits that they must cease to exist as a company. This time is not the right one to say all Japanese firms are of the highest quality, Takata has proved otherwise with exceptionally defective products which even the Chinese cannot beat with their production incompetence.

Also, one must be aware that while airbags are indeed a life-saving feature of a car.. when not manufactured correctly it turns into a gun, a death machine. I bet that lady would've been safer in a non-airbag car and would've walked out to argue about the accident soon after. Every safety feature is a safety feature as long as they function normally.. otherwise they are much more dangerous than if the car never had them in the first place.

Lets all argue on reliable, proven models of airbag units and also avoid all cars with Takata units in them. Its time to go down a little deeper than the usual "we need 2 airbags" & "we need 6 airbags" arguments that are becoming the hot debate nowadays.

Last edited by dark.knight : 29th June 2016 at 08:55.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 10:27   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Was the death caused by the airbag? The news article says, and I quote:

Quote:
Malaysian police were not able to confirm if the death was caused by a faulty airbag
What is also missing is if the woman was wearing a seat belt whilst driving. It is MANDATORY to wear seat belts in ALL cars with airbags i.e. the SRS. Otherwise the air bags can turn into killers. This goes for Takata or no Takata. Let's wait for the final report before jumping to conclusions.

And request TBHPians NOT to disconnect or disarm air bag systems by pulling the fuse. As has been said before on this thread these Takata airbags save more lives than cause accidental deaths.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 12:13   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I see a lot of FUD on this thread. So, let me add to what I said earlier - IF and this is a big IF your car had airbags from a faulty/affected batch you would have or will hear from your car's manufacturer.

If in doubt call the car's manufacturer's help line or email them.

Please DO NOT assume your Takata manufactured safety devices are faulty!!

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th June 2016 at 12:14.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 15:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
All international articles point out to two major conditions which make takata airbags potentially harmful.
1. Age (on an average <6 years is considered safe)
2. Hot and humid conditions

These two points should not be taken lightly.
My 2001 Fiat Siena came with a sticker that said the airbag needs to renewed after 5(or was it 6?) years as it has a finite lifespan. I've not seen such a warning in my subsequent cars.
Old 3rd July 2016, 20:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off topic as I couldnt find the correct thread and my question doesnt warrant a new thread.

In case of an accident where airbags deploy, can their replacement be claimed under insurance along with other repairs ? If you dont claim insurance what is the approx cost of replacement ?
Old 3rd July 2016, 22:21   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
In case of an accident where airbags deploy, can their replacement be claimed under insurance along with other repairs ? If you dont claim insurance what is the approx cost of replacement ?
Difficult to put a figure on it as it varies from car model to model. Budget anywhere between 20-50K for the airbag. And I believe it can be claimed under insurance.
Old 30th August 2016, 13:32   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Takata Airbags explode even without being installed!

Source + Full Article
Quote:
A truck transporting Takata Corp air bag inflators and propellants that are at the centre of a global recall exploded in Texas earlier this month, resulting in one death and four injuries, the embattled auto parts supplier said on Monday.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 15:34   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Takata Airbags explode even without being installed!

Source + Full Article

I am driving with Takata bomb inside my steering now(new Baleno) .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks