Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 14:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorsport champion Ashwin Sundar passes away in tragic road accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The other key factor is the amount of fuel required to start such a big fire, was the fuel tank damaged and resulted in a spill of fuel which caused such a big fire in a short span of time.
There isn't much ground clearance so a massive speedbreaker especially a concrete one would cause a huge underbody hit and possibly rupture the tank.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 15:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
There isn't much ground clearance so a massive speedbreaker especially a concrete one would cause a huge underbody hit and possibly rupture the tank.
Exactly and a spillage of fuel does not need much time for the car to go up in flames, really sad incident and loss of young lives. Just read this when we were finding out the reason for fire,
http://www.outlookindia.com/website/...-into-t/298252.

Last edited by deehunk : 20th March 2017 at 15:06.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 15:21   #48
BHPian

A very sad incident.

My guess from whatever i have read and linking few points are, the car was over speeding and the driver made a panic braking near the speed bump, the car flew and landed on the platform and since the clearance was too low, the fuel tank ruptured, and with the momentum, the metal scrapped the concrete platform which created sparks and subsequently lit the fuel and the car was in flames within seconds.

It was so unlucky that the car got stuck between the wall and the tree and being a two door, the occupants could not get out of it. This is what probably has happened after linking the incidents.

All said and done, originally the car would been speeding for sure and that was the cause for all the after effects. A very sad incident where two young lives are lost. May their families get the courage to overcome this tragedy.

Swami
Old 20th March 2017, 16:08   #49
BHPian

First and foremost, most posts on this thread gave me goosebumps and the chills. Not only is it painful to think of the last few minutes the young couple would have endured close to each other, I shudder at the thought as I drive a lot, with my wife and 16 month old little one, and am guilty to be driving over the prescribed city speed limits - which are usually 60 km/h. Honestly, even an 80 kmph on the Indian city roads can be unpredictable . I have had my encounters with cattle, kids running to my lane chasing a ball or a kite, unassuming pedestrian crossing the street while texting, a speed bump or a pothole, a piece of rubber from a dead tyre, et al - on an Audi Q3, that I would like to believe to be highly safe and secure. But with this, my average speed has dropped by 20 km/h, and I am far more alert.

Setting the blame, whether on a fast driver or the crazy nature of Indian street driving, can all wait. Take a step back, and realise the loss - all both the set of parents, kids if any, siblings, friends and fans, everyone. Slow your car down, guys - I don't want to learn it the hard way, and trust no one else does.

P.S. : In the past 14 years, I have driven over 650,000 kms on the Indian roads, and over 160,000 on US / European roads.
mathranik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 16:14   #50
BHPian

I drive late night in Chennai city (due to the work timings) and most of the days come across vehicles at unimaginable speeds after 12' O clock. Its not only race cars who do reckless driving, ranges from call center vehicles to water delivery trucks. The most annoying thing is, if you go at a normal speed and there is no way to overtake, they just come behind and flash the high beam continuously, till they overtake. It is virtually a humiliation and a gesture saying that you are a big fool to drive at a normal speed.

Empty roads, no cops to restrict speeding vehicles, no proper cameras (even though caught in cameras, cops will not act, if you have money and influence), no proper sign boards, nobody to obey traffic signals (if you obey , you will get a rear hit), unscientific speed breakers without markings and finally some nuts who are drunk and coming out from a party. All these compound a very dangerous environment for a normal driver at night in Chennai city, especially on Friday nights and weekends.

Feel sorry about the incident and my deep condolences to the family.

This incident reminds me - Safer cars or technologies can't help to reach back home, unless all of us show some maturity and sensibility behind the wheel.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2017 at 08:20. Reason: Language
sunil8089 is offline   (10) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th March 2017, 17:35   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Just read this when we were finding out the reason for fire,
http://www.outlookindia.com/website/...-into-t/298252.
Thanks for sharing! The article makes an interesting point:

Quote:
Since the car was running, the heat from any engine part is enough to set the quick-vapourising petrol on fire unlike diesel which will burn only under high compression.
Also, here's a first-hand account - link. If true, the guy was indeed flying:

Quote:
It was around 1.45 a.m. We had just crossed MRC Hall on Santhome High Road and were about to reach the curve on the road near the Ayappan temple, when something suddenly hurtled past us on the opposite lane. It was so fast that it was all a blur. Moments later, we saw a ball of fire. Our first thought was that a junction box had caught fire.

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2017 at 17:38.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 19:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Yes I always carry a small portable Fire extinguisher for mental peace.
Could you provide us the make, size and cost of the portable fire extinguisher you are having currently in your car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Times of India reports that seat belts were not worn hence airbags did not deploy. Also, apparently the engine was modified and tuned. Modifications in engine also may have led to the accident.
Will there not be an audible warning beep when seat belts were not fastened. How did he manage it? How sure were TOI because since the car was completely charred how is it possible to make out if seat belt was worn or not ?

The car having low ground clearance and its exposed fuel tank getting impacted physically and spilling out fuel could be the only reason.

From the news and experience mentioned about that infamous speed bump, looks like it was not painted and no warning reflectors installed which is very basic.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st March 2017 at 08:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 20th March 2017, 20:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Will there not be an audible warning beep when seat belts were not fastened. How did he manage it? How sure were TOI because since the car was completely charred how is it possible to make out if seat belt was worn or not ?

A look at the seat belt Pre-tensioner and related Load limiter mechanisms can confirm whether it bore impact or not.
The Pre-tensioner unit will most likely disintegrate during an impact.

Visually, If the seat belt would have been worn, the seat belt plug would have been found plonked in into the seat belt slot. The belt would have burnt, but the plug might have been left charred into the slot.
Old 20th March 2017, 20:15   #54
BANNED

Don't think seatbelts would have saved him in this case since the car went up in flames.
This is a strong message to start driving slow and more carefully.
I have been guilty of speeding mostly thinking I drive a safe car and it'll stop in time, or hell, keep me safe. Those notions have now been shattered. I'm going to keep my fast driving for the track and track only. Indian roads and highways both are just not safe enough to gamble your life away.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 21:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Have you noticed that when you are just about to reach your home in the city after a long drive, you will be driving at speeds that are higher than your normal city speeds? That is because our brain takes time to change its perception about the safe speed limit. This is the same issue with racers, so the best thing for racers is to avoid driving anywhere other than the race track.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 20th March 2017 at 21:57.
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 22:05   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you provide us the make, size and cost of the portable fire extinguisher you are having currently in your car ?
Cease Fire makes excellent portable extinguishers. For a car you might need a CO2 or foam based extinguisher as these are petrol / oil fires.

The extinguishers themselves are a bit larger than a can of hit, and lightweight.

https://www.ceasefire.in/home-safety.html
Old 20th March 2017, 22:54   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How sure were TOI because since the car was completely charred how is it possible to make out if seat belt was worn or not ?
Definitely not the TOI, but a forensic analyst should be able to find out from the location of the seatbelt metal clip. Of course, there are many ifs, but no harm in trying.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 23:01   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Definitely not the TOI, but a forensic analyst should be able to find out from the location of the seatbelt metal clip. Of course, there are many ifs, but no harm in trying.
Hardly matters now. But I think seatbelt (if worn) would've prevented any hit on head leading to concussion which can lead to panic and not thinking straight.

And IIRC, this seatbelt not worn thing was told by some BMW personnel and TOI reported the same.

Anyway, this incident has happened and loss is irreparable but now we should focus more on how we all can prevent such incidents happening again.

We all say one should drive slowly but how many of us actually follow it (me included)? If you're going to slow, you can prevent such mishaps. No amount of safety can prevent accidents at super high speeds.

I hope the Indian government sets speed cameras on all major roads and charges heavy fines so we are forced to drive slow.

Or maybe they should set a speed limiter in all cars inside city limit (connected via gps?). Highly unlikely but should be done.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 20th March 2017 at 23:04.
Old 21st March 2017, 01:54   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
I hope the Indian government sets speed cameras on all major roads and charges heavy fines so we are forced to drive slow.
Or maybe they should set a speed limiter in all cars inside city limit (connected via gps?).
Why is the onus on the govt to impose such draconian measures? In my opinion the govt has enough on their plate.
Forcing or scaring the entire population into compliance is not scalable. Behaving or following the rules when nobody is looking is a matter of education. It is learned behavior. It is a matter of learning to respect their own lives and the lives of others in the shared public space. I am sure there are going to be places that will not be or cannot be covered by such oversight. Time and again we see people make huge gambles, take huge chances on the road. How much of it is lack of awareness, and how much is lack of respect - I don't know. In our status driven society, I certainly am of the opinion that a healthy percentage of people in big expensive vehicles lack the respect for the life of a commoner. A bicycle commuter owns that patch of public road under his feet just as much as a person driving a Jaguar. I don't know how many subscribe to this line of thinking. If a majority don't, then there is a problem to be addressed here.

There is certainly a need for grass roots level awareness. TBHP promoting safe driving, respect for life and rules is a great start!
prasadee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 04:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I don't know. In our status driven society, I certainly am of the opinion that a healthy percentage of people in big expensive vehicles lack the respect for the life of a commoner. A bicycle commuter owns that patch of public road under his feet just as much as a person driving a Jaguar. I don't know how many subscribe to this line of thinking. If a majority don't, then there is a problem to be addressed here.

There is certainly a need for grass roots level awareness. TBHP promoting safe driving, respect for life and rules is a great start!
Yes, no matter how many rules you draft or impose, you need a sense of basic discipline among the drivers. The killer humps sometimes are the only easy option to protect common people unless law enforcement agency starts penalising the errant drivers severly irrespective of their status.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks