Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2019, 17:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Serious traffic offenders are being sent straight to JAIL in Hyderabad

The article only cites instances where drunken driving (considered a criminal offence in most countries) or driving without a license was involved. The former is more just than the latter, IMO. But both are understandable.

These instances represent probably a very few bad apples in our society, probably 5% of the total sample.

But we still don't have the following which would ensure that 80% of our motorists would toe the line -
1) A nationwide database that records all manner of traffic violations and accidents
2) Insurers should have access to that database
3) Insurers should begin pricing in on traffic offences and accidents immediately. For instance, if I get challaned for overspeeding this month, I should see a premium hike next month from my insurer.
4) Insurers should also start rejecting requests for coverage for chaps with abysmal records
5) If people drive without insurance to bypass all of this, if caught they should be tried by this particular judge in Hyderabad
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 17:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Hope other state traffic departments don't catch these and come up with more crude methods.
Ha. I just hope some judge(s) in Bangalore also read this. We sure could use this sort of enforcement. Apart from the two offences mentioned, say wrong-side driving and breaking signal too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I once entered a junction at a green light. There was jam ahead, i could not move ahead and the light turned red again. I was caught by a cop and had to pay a fine.
Your driver ed is supposed to teach you that you are not to enter an intersection if the way out is not clear for you. Having green signal is not enough.

Sometime back in Bangalore they had started painting the area at intersections where this rule is to be enforced. Nothing came out of it though.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 12:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
...Sometime back in Bangalore they had started painting the area at intersections where this rule is to be enforced. Nothing came out of it though.
The 'zero tolerance junction' thingy? The only winner out of that fiasco was some reflective yellow paint supplier.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 13:00   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your driver ed is supposed to teach you that you are not to enter an intersection if the way out is not clear for you. Having green signal is not enough.
Saaar, 'driver ed'?! What is that?! Even us so-called 'highly-educated' and 'tech-savvy' crowd in Bangalore know only how to operate our fancy vehicles, we don't know how to 'drive'. And most don't know the difference between the two!

If the driving schools and RTOs teach people that jumping a red light is wrong and driving opposite to a one-way is wrong too, that will be a start!

But you do bring up a great point. Harsh punishments for traffic offences might be a good idea AFTER we have a driver education system in place and after a huge publicity campaign that makes everyone aware of the consequences of breaking traffic rules.

Last edited by am1m : 5th February 2019 at 13:02.
Old 5th February 2019, 13:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sometime back in Bangalore they had started painting the area at intersections where this rule is to be enforced. Nothing came out of it though.
This was done twice and the second time they did it sometime in 2017-18, there was much fanfare around it, thanks to social media. As usual, like many other novel ideas, this too faded like the yellow paint did at all these intersections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The 'zero tolerance junction' thingy? The only winner out of that fiasco was some reflective yellow paint supplier.
This 'Zero Tolerance' thing is a JOKE! Its also a waste of money to have such signage installed at various intersections all over the city to proclaim - 'Look, we are very strict and here is the board that says it' but then there is everything that happens right next to that board like this one that I captured few weeks before.
-Riders happily stopping right on the Zebra crossing
-Riders jumping the signal and turning left before the light turns green
-Riders arriving from random directions and entering the wrong way
-Riders without Helmets
You can see it all in one minute and all this happening not only next to the so called 'Zero Tolerance' Sign but right next to this board is a Traffic Police Station too .

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th February 2019 at 13:13.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 13:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Ha. I just hope some judge(s) in Bangalore also read this. We sure could use this sort of enforcement. Apart from the two offences mentioned, say wrong-side driving and breaking signal too.
Absolutely I wish they enforce it in Bangalore and the news must spread on social media and am sure if the same is done strictly for month people will surely be wary and stop committing an offence on the road atleast.
Old 6th March 2019, 21:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
755 people awarded a jail sentence have been sent to Chanchalguda jail.
http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...-driving-97833
cp171185 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks