Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 17:23   #1
M35
BHPian

NCERT to incorporate Road Safety in School Curriculum

NCERT to incorporate Road Safety in School Curriculum in the next academic session :

Integrating road safety lessons in school curriculum-road_safety_facts.jpg
The image used is for illustration purpose only

According to Mr.Vijay Chhibber, secretary MoRTH [Ministry of Road Transport and Highways],
  • To ensure vehicle safety, a car crash test facility will come up by end of current financial year.
  • The NCERT will add road safety in school curriculum in the next academic session.
NCERT is the National Council for Educational Research and Training, which prepares school curricula in India. Mr Chhibber was addressing a seminar on ‘Role of Corporates in Road Safety’. The day-long seminar was organised at the India International Centre by Geneva-based International Road Federation (IRF) in New Delhi.

Quote:
“The implementation of the road safety law has become difficult in some places because of the intervention of so many stakeholders,” Chibber said, adding that recently most of the entry level cars have failed the crash test.
Source and read more here:

Indian express
vancouverdesi
Autocarpro

Last edited by M35 : 19th May 2014 at 17:25.
M35 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 13:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: NCERT to incorporate Road Safety in School Curriculum

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Street Experiences. Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th May 2014, 13:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am a strong advocate of this. There must be 2 subjects on traffic - one as pedestrians in higher primary school and one on driving in high school.
Pedestrians course must focus on how to behave in road, like where to cross, when to get on road, where to walk on road. The driving course must focus on where to drive and how to communicate with other drivers while driving.
Old 20th May 2014, 19:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Better late than never.

I hope that they start teaching this (at least the safety aspects as a passenger) in the second or third grade itself. Kids at that age take the teacher's words for gospel and what is imbibed at that age stays forever.

Here I have a terrible time getting family members to belt up, look out and behind before opening doors on a busy street etc. in the US my nephews (from when the elder one was 5 maybe 6) in a way that only children can would ensure that all of the above was followed to a T. He would take any of us even to task for starting the engine without having belted up before hand just because Mrs Boruf said it was the wrong thing to do

Another thing that needs to be imbibed at an early age is the concept of social cleanliness. Not a week goes by when I do not see plastic wrappers, fruit skins, cola cans being chucked out of school buses. It is not only disgusting but potentially dangerous, especially for two wheeled riders.

One truly hopes this does indeed get implemented and not remains buried in files.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 17:11   #5
D4D
BHPian

As much as I welcome such moves, I think it is more important to educate the irresponsible drivers currently driving on the road. There's something called leading by example and people have to start following lane discipline, traffic rules, maintain speed limits and most importantly-don't honk unnecessarily.

Teaching school children is important, but I think they won't see practical application on the driving side until they're 18. It's time to make DL test stricter and RTO has to instruct driving schools on teaching people how to drive responsibly.
Old 21st May 2014, 17:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Education is beyond knowledge of just theoretical subjects, so I'm quite happy to know that road safety is going to be taught. It really has to be done in stages though and not just as a 5 page chapter in pre-high school requiring a mandatory pass. It should begin as a diagrammatic representation of zebra crossing, meaning of various sign boards and meaning of the 3 lights in primary school, followed up with safety rules and pointing to importance of adherence in high school.

Indoctrination of such rules is the only chance we have to see better driving manners in India. There won't be a single driver out there who won't know that skipping signals, over-speeding, drinking when driving is illegal, yet over a thousand cases occur everyday. Implanting the logic of safe, preventive driving Inception-esque, via curriculum should stand a better chance. The RTO's too must have urbane instructors with fluency in English and local languages to initiate new drivers during LL and DL exams, to fully ensure each learner accepts the rules and implements it.

Suppose we walk in a crowded street and someone's hand/shoulder collides with ours, I don't think we'd fight.. we'd simply keep walking. Similarly even if every rule is followed on the road 100% there still can be occasional bumps/scrapes. People must be taught to be patient, receptive and to interact with the other party of the incident so that a mutual solution can be arrived at rather than fault-mongering, wallet fishing and pointing fingers. An incident isn't an opportunity, it's something to be resolved mutually.
Old 21st May 2014, 17:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I think it is more important to educate the irresponsible drivers currently driving on the road. There's something called leading by example and people have to start following lane discipline, traffic rules, maintain speed limits and most importantly-don't honk unnecessarily.
Very true to the topic. I feel what children see around them they learn it. Setting an example for the young ones is very important because most of us here know that children who are not even 18 drive around rashly and are potential hazard to other motorists.

Quote:
Teaching school children is important, but I think they won't see practical application on the driving side until they're 18. It's time to make DL test stricter and RTO has to instruct driving schools on teaching people how to drive responsibly.
Over here I would agree with @khoj because children may not necessarily be in driver's seat to implement safe driving. They can be a passenger and advocate safe driving norms. So, safe driving is not based on age rather it's based on mindset and inculcated culture.

As far as the driving schools and RTO is concerned, I feel 15-20 days of training won't be of any help unless the learner has imbibed the value of safe driving from his/ her parents and other sources like friends and fellow drivers. No RTO or driving school can spoon feed the rules to the learner.

Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 00:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Integrating road safety lessons in school curriculum

Kerala Road Safety Authority, National Transportation Planning and Research Centre and State Council of Educational Research and Training have jointly published handbook for school teachers titled, 'Surakshithayatra', as the first step towards integrating road safety lessons in school curriculum.

Quote:
“Road safety lessons are likely to be introduced in school curriculum in 2021-22 academic year. Road safety is a matter to be dealt at the grassroot level and integrating it in the school syllabus is the apt way to reduce the number of accidents. There are notes and pamphlets on traffic rules, but it is the first time that a detailed book for school is published."
Quote from SCERT

Quote:
“The integration of road safety rules in school syllabus has been a long-term project and it is being implemented now. The handbook for teachers is just the beginning of this initiative, which is the first ever attempt in the country. Next, mapping will be conducted on how to include the lessons in the school textbooks, as the lessons has to be different for each standard based on their class level."
Quote by Rajagopal K, director, communication and public relations, Kerala Road Safety Authority

All the very best wishes for this program to be a huge success! A much needed one.

Read the article here: TOI
sarathlal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Integrating road safety lessons in school curriculum - 'Surakshithayatra'

Excellent initiative. Just as a thought; all Dutch kids have to take a theoretical and a practical test on how to ride a bicycle in traffic.

https://www.holland-cycling.com/blog...y-for-children
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks