Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 11:46   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo XC90 catches fire!

I came across a post on Facebook by Rakesh Patel where in his 2016 Volvo XC 90 caught fire.

Volvo XC90 catches fire!-85151339_10219300109725053_2284922730321018880_o.jpg

Volvo XC90 catches fire!-86479043_10219300108845031_2008270782840438784_o.jpg

Volvo XC90 catches fire!-86728920_10219300107164989_3750292183610032128_o.jpg

Quote:
'Safest Car in the World'.. Or a 'DEATH MACHINE'?
I want to narrate my almost near to death incident which occurred day before y'day (13th Feb '20) while I was driving to Ahmedabad, GJ from Vadodara, GJ in my Volvo XC 90 car.
Local news clipping: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=soKk...ature=Youtu.be
Details about my car: Car tag: GJ06JQ1114; Model Year: 2016; Total kms on the car: ~ 52,000 kms
Details of my incident: In the middle of the journey, the engine warning light flashed on the odometer out of the blue. Due to my extra diligent nature, I decided to pull over and inspect what the triggering issue was. I also asked my daughter and wife who were accompanying me on this journey to step out. Before I could even check anything, the car started fuming and flames started gushing out of the car’s bonnet in a matter of seconds. We’re shocked to see what unfolded and ran away from the car in order to save ourselves from grasp of death.
As helpless as we were, the first and foremost thought that hit our minds was that what if we were in the car and what if we were not over precautionary in our approach. I couldn’t thank god enough for saving me & my family’s life. Upon returning home, I couldn’t stop wondering as to how the “World’s safest car” could turn into a death machine.
Then I started reviewing my data (wherein all my service records were up to date and never was anything flagged to me). With that being the case, I started researching online to see if something like this had ever happened before. Turns out, the Volvo engine issue has been widely talked about and acknowledged by the company as well. Reading that I’m gutted to know as to why my car wasn’t flagged and how Volvo India’s negligence could’ve costed us our lives.
A Very Dejected and Disappointed Ex-Volvo Customer

Last edited by karan561 : 17th February 2020 at 11:56.
karan561 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:53   #2
BHPian

Volvo XC90 catches fire!

Volvo XC90 catches fire!

Quote:
'Safest Car in the World'.. Or a 'DEATH MACHINE'?

I want to narrate my almost near to death incident which occurred day before y'day (13th Feb '20) while I was driving to Ahmedabad, GJ from Vadodara, GJ in my Volvo XC 90 car.

Details about my car: Car tag: GJ06JQ1114; Model Year: 2016; Total kms on the car: ~ 52,000 kms

Details of my incident: In the middle of the journey, the engine warning light flashed on the odometer out of the blue. Due to my extra diligent nature, I decided to pull over and inspect what the triggering issue was. I also asked my daughter and wife who were accompanying me on this journey to step out. Before I could even check anything, the car started fuming and flames started gushing out of the car’s bonnet in a matter of seconds. We’re shocked to see what unfolded and ran away from the car in order to save ourselves from grasp of death.

As helpless as we were, the first and foremost thought that hit our minds was that what if we were in the car and what if we were not over precautionary in our approach. I couldn’t thank god enough for saving me & my family’s life. Upon returning home, I couldn’t stop wondering as to how the “World’s safest car” could turn into a death machine.

Then I started reviewing my data (wherein all my service records were up to date and never was anything flagged to me). With that being the case, I started researching online to see if something like this had ever happened before. Turns out, the Volvo engine issue has been widely talked about and acknowledged by the company as well. Reading that I’m gutted to know as to why my car wasn’t flagged and how Volvo India’s negligence could’ve costed us our lives.

My frustration towards Volvo and its false safety claims has hit the roof and I will not rest until Volvo makes up for their carelessness.
Volvo XC90 catches fire!-fb_img_1582019756194.jpg

Volvo XC90 catches fire!-fb_img_1582019762143.jpg

Volvo XC90 catches fire!-fb_img_1582019713890.jpg

Volvo XC90 catches fire!-fb_img_1582019717531.jpg

Volvo XC90 catches fire!-fb_img_1582019773996.jpg
I'm well and truly at this. This is the car that I saw everyday as it stays only around 500m from my place. Was always carefully driven and from outside atleast, it seemed completely stock. Wonder how Volvo is handling this.

Here's the link to the Facebook post of the owner- https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1579397922

(Source: Facebook)

Last edited by porsche_guy : 18th February 2020 at 15:27.
porsche_guy is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:25   #3
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volvo XC90 catches fire!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Volvo recalled 5,07,000 cars globally due to a risk of fire in the engine bay in 2019. (Link to news). All the cars affected are powered by a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine.

Quote:
The affected models include the S60, S60 Cross Country, S80, S90, V40, V40 Cross Country, V60, V60 Cross Country, V70, V90, V90 Cross Country, XC60, XC70 and the XC90.

It is said that the plastic engine intake manifold in the engine bay could melt and ignite a fire. The symptoms could include an odour which is not usually present while driving a car, engine interruption, illumination of the engine warning light, and loss of power. Drivers should then pull over and call Volvo's recovery service.

Volvo is said to be contacting owners of the affected cars but it is reported that a complete solution to the issue has not been found yet.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2020 at 12:15.
ChiragM is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 20:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is scary and disappointing. Volvos are my dream cars and I have been thinking that someday I would buy a preowned V90 or an XC90.
It is also interesting how modern cars are vulnerable to catching fire while some of the cars which are 15 or even 20 years old don't catch fire even if they run out of coolant.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 21:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

What's Volvo's response, if any yet, to this? Given the recall angle, this will be difficult to brush off as a one-off and/or user-created issue.

That said, the recall article doesn't provide details of country-specific recalls. Were cars in India included? Were all owners made aware of the risk? It's rather vague to say if nothing smells funny then nothing's wrong and it's safe to use the car, if they know a plastic component in the engine bay is potentially fire-prone.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:45   #7
BHPian

My Volvo S60 (2017 model) was recalled a few months back to change some components inside the engine bay.
Being curious as to what exactly is being changed I ventured onto the service floor and asked the mechanic what part was he changing.

Apparently there is some fuel line with a plastic part which is likely to catch fire.
This was the part that was changed.
Could it be that this XC90 was also supposed to be covered under this recall but somehow wasn't worked on in a timely manner?
veedub89 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 07:34   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, we normally merge one-off fires into the 'vehicles catching fire' thread. However, because a fire-related recall has been issued by Volvo, this thread will remain independent.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 09:41   #9
BHPian

So this happened back in August'19 with me, I read about the global recall, however I was not concerned since I had the old V40 with the 2.0 5 cylinder engine and the recall affected only four-cylinder diesel engines.

However I got a call from the dealer KIFS, that my car is due for a software upgrade, I ignored at first since I have not even sent my car to them even once for maintenance. However they followed up again and I sensed something amiss, so I took an appointment and then personally went to the service centre to see what is the 'Software upgrade' all about which they are eagerly following up on.

To my surprise when I went there the service advisor told me that its not a software upgrade required but the fuel hose replacement. When I questioned him why did the receptionist call me saying its a software upgrade he had no answer. The procedure took about 3-4 hours and since my car has never been to the service centre I asked the service advisor to please check if there is any software upgrade available and to do the needful, I told him to call me when the car is connected to the VIDA so I can check, However he never did the same and said there is no software upgrade available.

The replacement was done and I wanted a written confirmation that the procedure has been carried out in my car for my records. However The service advisor couldn't provide any saying that its a free replacement and that he has it in his records. However I didn't buy that, I made them email me that a replacement had been done for my own records and safety.

Always go to the service centre if they call you out of the blue, If I would've sent my driver I would've never known about this so called "Fuel Hose Replacement " Applicable on my car

Volvo India sure needs to be more transparent and professional in handling issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC90 catches fire!-screenshot-20200219-09.37.54.png  

Last edited by SDP : 19th February 2020 at 09:51. Reason: Minor typo
Y@SH is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 10:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is scary and disappointing. Volvos are my dream cars and I have been thinking that someday I would buy a preowned V90 or an XC90.
It is also interesting how modern cars are vulnerable to catching fire while some of the cars which are 15 or even 20 years old don't catch fire even if they run out of coolant.
Well I will suggest find another love while you are still at it, Volvo has the worst Customer Support and After Sales Service, a Toyota after sales support can put Volvo to shame every single day and every single hour.

It took them almost 20 days after me following up every three days for a reply, for a part failure they owned globally and replaced globally in the same production batch.

It is not as hassle-free or trouble-free ownership as everyone claims it to be.

On the other hand, my folks using Mercedes Benz get a real good experience with very prompt and accommodating after sales support.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th February 2020 at 16:18. Reason: Typos.
M.Dua is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 16:57   #11
GRV
BHPian

Hi
I bought a Volvo S 90 (April 2019 mfg month). Should I also be worried about plastic parts in engine bay ? I am thinking of contacting my service center and check with them . This is really very scary. not expected from Volvo. I bought Volvo over my first choice (BMW 530I) only on safety .

Checked with my service center in Gurgaon. He confirmed that in 2019 model there is no such risk (plastic part in engine bay). He also mentioned that they have a list of cars for recall and they are contacting the owners for necessary action

Last edited by GRV : 19th February 2020 at 17:01. Reason: additional information
Old 19th February 2020, 17:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi
I bought a Volvo S 90 (April 2019 mfg month). Should I also be worried about plastic parts in engine bay ? I am thinking of contacting my service center and check with them . This is really very scary. not expected from Volvo. I bought Volvo over my first choice (BMW 530I) only on safety .

Checked with my service center in Gurgaon. He confirmed that in 2019 model there is no such risk (plastic part in engine bay). He also mentioned that they have a list of cars for recall and they are contacting the owners for necessary action
To be on the safer side you can always check if your car is covered under recall directly via their website. My City had an airbag recall but I hadn't received any communication from the company or dealer for the same, only found out when I looked up my VIN out of curiosity.

Volvo's website gives you an option to do this (couldn't find an India-specific link so I'm assuming this works globally) - https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/own/...ll-information

Hope this helps.
AnInternetUser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 18:36   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

LETTER FROM A VOLVO CUSTOMER

Dear Volvo India's MD,

This is an open letter to you being written through a public forum as, unlike your predecessors, you no longer make your email ID accessible to us your customers.

In the past I have had the opportunity to correspond directly with your past MDs on both matters of concern and matters of appreciation. But over the last 3 years your organization has become a black box. We never know if letters written are received and of course they never or rarely get a reply.

With this back ground you need to be transparent on what is happening with the XC90 and it's bursting spontaneously into flames. A car bursting into flames is not expected of any car least of all a Volvo . Many of us, including me, purchased a Volvo after paying a significant premium, primarily for the safety features and it's reputation as a safe car.

Don't mess up this hard won reputation by keeping silent and stone walling.

As your customers and stake holders we look forward to a transparent communication from Volvo on what's happening and why.

With kind regards,

V.Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 18:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
LETTER FROM A VOLVO CUSTOMER
Well said! No excuse for this second class treatment in India when it comes to recalls or safety. They really could learn a lesson from the likes of Lexus and Merc in terms of customer interaction as well.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 19:05   #15
BHPian

Was admiring this car today as I saw one today. Not saying that I no longer admire it but would like to know if any reason has been stated to this incident. Is the owner safe?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks