Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2020, 21:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India

Watch this auto driver fly and land on a pedestrian. I've seen several unexpected things on Indian roads (and the pavements), but this shocked me.

I wonder what caused the cable to catapult him. Any comments?
BenjiRoss is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 21:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Watch this auto driver fly and land on a pedestrian. I've seen several unexpected things on Indian roads (and the pavements), but this shocked me.
Apologies, this made me laugh.
On a serious note, I guess it's the white scooter that tugged the broken cable. Apart from making the auto driver fly the cable tugger also would have taken a fall.

Last edited by bblost : 28th July 2020 at 23:17. Reason: removed embedded video.
rajivr1612 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 08:52   #3
BHPian

I don't think it's the scooter but a car or bigger vehicle on the highway that snagged the cable. If you see carefully, in the first second of the video there is a car going at high speed on the very next lane of the highway. A scooter simply doesn't have that much power to catapult a full size human to what seems like 20ft. I think the scooter guy is lucky to not get caught on the cable while it was snagged.

Last edited by SDP : 31st July 2020 at 20:07. Reason: Typos
BLACNWYTE is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 11:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Optical fiber cables, hanging from every possible pillar and tree in Bangalore, are the reason for this accident. And this is not the first time they've caused a mishap.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64724666.cms

It is as bad as unauthorized banners hanging from street lights on medians, which was highlighted last year in Chennai, if not worse.
black_rider is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 11:16   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India

The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 30th July 2020, 18:16   #6

First I thought it was shooting of a movie stunt like 'SuperMan' being carried out by some Tollywood comedy film judging by how the man flew and where the man landed. But then I realized it was an accident. So sad. Hope he didn't suffer major injuries.
BTW such accidents are pretty common in Aurangabad and once someone dies unfortunately, then only some flimsy steps are undertaken by local body for few days till people rage is cooled down and blame game begins between various govt departments. So nothing new.
http://https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/aurangabad/a-day-after-womans-death-cables-yet-to-be-removed/articleshow/73393959.cms

Last edited by Sheel : 31st July 2020 at 15:54. Reason: flied = flew.
Old 30th July 2020, 19:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

It certainly looks like the scooter pulling the cable that lifted him. Really random acts helped by our bureaucracy.

Every now and then they remove the cables causing hardship to people who are using them. Then they forget and allow them to do whatever. Roads also dug up and left without filling. Guess its all normal. We chose to be like this.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:30   #8
BHPian

Sorry this made me laugh .

Looks like the auto guy was standing with a wire between his legs on the ground. The amount of force needed to lift and catalpult him could only come from a bigger vehicle. His impact was cushioned by the unfortunate lady on the bottom right corner. Weird !
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:42   #9
BHPian

I believe, in the early years of cable TV, Kerala had the foresight to allow the cable TV guys to use electric poles. I'm sure they had to pay officially for the privilege. Contrast this to Bengaluru where they unofficially pay the authorities to hang their lines anywhere and everywhere. Story of India and its corruption; and anyone looking to prove that the current government is different only has to look at the state of the cables.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Wow that's insanely scary. Hope the man is alright.

He goes flying up in the air because the cable is probably looped over another cable that is still properly suspended.

These cables are incredibly strong, and re-enforced with metal wires on the inside:
The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India-rg59.jpg

A similar thing happened near my house 2 years back.

A rather large truck carrying a generator with a top-mounted exhaust was coming down my road.

The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India-elec11.jpg

The exhaust snagged in a TV cable going between our building and the one across the road.

The cable was attached around a stone pillar at our gate, and up to a 4th floor balcony on the other side.

The truck/cable ripped off the metal balcony, which came crashing down. Luckily no one was injured.

The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India-20180702_175648.jpg

The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India-20180702_175617_hdr.jpg

Here, you can see on our side of things, the cable went around a stone pillar, and then connected to these pipes, and it's managed to bend the pipes too:

The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India-20180702_175401_hdr.jpg

Off-Topic: Yesterday a 10 meter rebar steel rod fell off a 30 storey construction site and landed on the road in front of our house. This has actually happened once before as well, about a year back!
The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India-20190707_131731.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2020 at 12:08.
Rehaan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 13:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
It certainly looks like the scooter pulling the cable that lifted him. Really random acts helped by our bureaucracy.
I wonder what makes you blame the bureaucracy in this instance. However, they may be at fault at many places. We always forget that the legisltors, politicians and bureaucrats are all the persons from the very same society. OP has raised a serious issue here and we must understand the issue before starting to blame others.
Old 31st July 2020, 13:14   #12
BANNED

Thank God that it wasn't the neck or in between his legs that he got snagged at. This came so close to being fatal.
Old 31st July 2020, 14:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Going by the video I don't think the acceleration of the scooter within city traffic would be enough to literally fling a healthy grown man that way, IMO it has to be some other vehicle apart from the scooter.

The people of our city are just as much at fault as these operators. The population created a demand and didn't care that the supplier is using improper & unsafe means to fulfill the same.

It's like, if we know there's child labour employed at a tea stall and people stay indifferent & consume tea there and suddenly when we decide to notice that the child isn't keeping well, we simply grudge at the govt for being indifferent.

Well, good we've noticed, but it'd matter alot if people stop financially supporting it and make it an election issue.

Also, IMO hoardings aren't relevant to this incident and they're banned within the city in any case.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 14:20   #14
BHPian

Luckily the person who was flown away by the cable seem to have escaped with minor/no injuries.
But he landed on a woman walking on the foot path and she had to get 50 stitches.

Everywhere you go in Bangalore you will see these dangling cables. Some BBMP official has said they are not taking action as it might cause internet disruptions and people working from home and taking online classes will be affected. Lame excuse citing the pandemic, but this has been a problem from a long time.

More details : https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/77271177.cms

Last edited by nagarjun : 31st July 2020 at 14:21.
nagarjun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 15:24   #15
BHPian

This happened right outside a Suzuki Two Wheeler Dealership in Rajasthan. I also received the video from the owner of the showroom. Everyone has escaped with minor injuries thankfully. I do have sympathy for the poor lady who ended up being the one who cushioned the launch of the auto rickshaw waala.
jalajprakash is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks