Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 15:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford's misleading ad on the EcoSport's safety rating

Hope there is less talk about 'same structure' ,'thud' etc. Show the test results please. Having same design but using less strength steel is useless

Last edited by srishiva : 16th November 2020 at 15:56.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 16:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Well the difference in length between the Ecosport in India and USA is because of the bumper only - no sheet metal changes were made for the USA variant. I know this as I used to work on the Ecosport project until a few years ago.
Offtopic - Is it possible to buy the export spec rear bumper for EcoSport? I am sure it indeed will be of better quality and will offer additional strength to the car.
Old 16th November 2020, 19:22   #48
BHPian

Apart from the cheeky lines which says way beyond 5 stars and the thud(both which was overdone), I think people need to understand that it's not Ford's statement but a customer's testimonial which they had put it up as an ad. Agreed Ford has gone 2 steps back by not providing basic connectivity features such as AA or carplay but in terms of safety and handling I think Ford has all the rights to preach what they say and to sum it up aptly " you'll never understand until you own one" is right in the case of EcoSport.

I might sound a bit rude to some but that's the fact and with respect to rear door quality I feel that my 2018 ecosport has the same heft in all 4 doors and the handling hasn't been compromised. Note: I'm telling this after driving my car for 41,000kms.

I haven't driven the BS6 ecosport, so I can't comment on it
Old 16th November 2020, 19:26   #49
BHPian

I don't think this is misleading. If it is so, then all other car advertisements are definitely misleading.

The advertisement is in line with any other car ads talking about mileage to comfort to safety to whatnot. The reference to above 5 star is a perceived opinion by an owner.

I would call it a brilliant dig at others, but definitely late to the party!
LoneRidder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 19:41   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post
While beyond 5 stars is a little cheeky, everything else is okay IMHO.
I don’t see the harm.
There's the crux though. There wouldn't have been any discussion if they had used "beyond 5 stars" rather than "above 5 stars", implying there's more to safety beyond standardised crash tests: check out our real-world results/experiences. That's where they goofed up slightly, using "above" rather than "beyond"
Punatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 19:52   #51
BHPian

I think most people reading this thread have had a simple oversight in that at the end of the video, there's a clear disclaimer that these are the owner's views presented "as is". So I don't think this is something which we should blame Ford about. Kindly request the mods to change the title of the thread to reflect the correct headline

Ford's misleading ad on the EcoSport's safety rating-img_20201116_194933.jpg
Old 16th November 2020, 20:21   #52
BHPian

Slightly off topic.. but would really appreciate if anyone could answer

I see that Honda Cars India advertises Honda Civic has a 5 star GNCAP crash test rating. However, their website clearly indicates that the car evaluated by GNCAP was the Thai manufactured version, not the India manufactured, and it was awarded a 5 star safety rating..

Looking at how Hyundai, Kia, Ford and Maruti use better and stronger structures for the export version of their vehicles to meet safety requirements, I was wondering whether it would be fair to assume that Honda cars would be doing something similar for the Civic.. i.e the India manufactured Civic is not structurally and safety wise as good as the ASEAN and the international version..

Any perspective would be veryu much appreciated
ssenhyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 22:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
I think most people reading this thread have had a simple oversight in that at the end of the video, there's a clear disclaimer that these are the owner's views presented "as is".
That's a convenient way to keep themselves out of legal trouble, nothing more.

Let's look at their record so far
1. Removing chassis parts to cut costs: Yep, they did it with the Endy!
2. Unstable bodyshell in GNCAP: Yep, Figo/Aspire has entered the chat
3. Change lots of components in the domestic version of the car compared to the export version: Hello, Ecosport!

Confidence inspiring moves indeed!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:28   #54
BHPian

After owning 2 Ecosports I have always felt they are well built, reliable and safe. But that's just a notion or feeling through personal experience I have about the car and not a scientific statement. That goes true with this ad. It's an expression of personal opinion / experience.

In the advertisement world this is quite common. A personal experience impresses viewers more and is a good idea from Ford to use it for marketing. Hair oil ads show people having miraculous effects after use of their products and these ads actually boosted sales multiple folds.

But I certainly feel Ford could have just avoided the use of the words 'beyond 5 starts' and still could have kept it impressive.

Being an ad that comes from the manufacturer, it should have avoided that misrepresentation as it's safety that's being talked about and reference to 5 stats is definitely misleading.

Last edited by Jude300 : 16th November 2020 at 23:30.
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
I don't think this is misleading. If it is so, then all other car advertisements are definitely misleading.

The advertisement is in line with any other car ads talking about mileage to comfort to safety to whatnot. The reference to above 5 star is a perceived opinion by an owner.

I would call it a brilliant dig at others, but definitely late to the party!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
I think most people reading this thread have had a simple oversight in that at the end of the video, there's a clear disclaimer that these are the owner's views presented "as is". So I don't think this is something which we should blame Ford about. Kindly request the mods to change the title of the thread to reflect the correct headline
Manufacturers selling the vehicles directly to common man have equal responsibility in not misleading the customers. You and I knew very well about how many people would read that fine print/disclaimer. Ford’s ad with “beyond 5 star” is as misleading as Tesla’s Autopilot term. I agree with everything else such as this sound, handling, etc.
gopi_rm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 00:29   #56
BHPian

Not done Ford, Not done!

However, folks, on a brighter side, look at the changing mind set of the Manufacturers. Now Ford is also trying to stress on safety aspects, and this has happened due to public hue and cry after recent crash tests.

Mindset is changing. Hopefully general public will start giving safety (Crash test ratings) higher priority than big touch screens, sun roofs and artificially induced thuds.
Old 17th November 2020, 03:23   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas21 View Post
Not done Ford, Not done!

However, folks, on a brighter side, look at the changing mind set of the Manufacturers. Now Ford is also trying to stress on safety aspects, and this has happened due to public hue and cry after recent crash tests.

Mindset is changing. Hopefully general public will start giving safety (Crash test ratings) higher priority than big touch screens, sun roofs and artificially induced thuds.
I don't see anything bright about the ad at all. Infact, instead of making this sort of an ad which conveys the wrong notion of safety, they were better off keeping their mouth shut.

Things like door thuds, thickness of sheet metal and panel flex have already been embedded as factors that affect crash worthiness in public memory, when it clearly is not the case. Adding the "above 5 stars" tagline only makes things worse as the Indian spec Ecosport hasn't even been crash tested yet.

All in all, this is an ad which could have been avoided especially given current circumstances.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 08:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Ford's misleading ad on the EcoSport's safety rating
+1 for the amount of confidence the company have for the cars and the passion they put across

+1 for the advertisement: Ford has managed to send out the message clear to the masses, Ecosport if a 4 Star vehicle(India variant, not sure), without doing much of a PR investment. how you ask:

Well the masses know Tata vehicles are safe and they have been bickering about it non stop. For Ford to get out to the masses it was necessary to have a big PR strategy. They avoided all of this by punching above NCAP and let people do the talking. Its got a thread in TBHP also.

Classic negative PR strategy without much investment leading to huge impact on educating the masses.
PioneerNB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 08:58   #59
Mik
BHPian

For too long now Ford has been trying to be a Maruti - be it the lighter builds of the Aspire and the Figo or their 'Family waali feeling' advertising.
I hope they realise that their best seller is neither a Maruti spec build and nor is it ideal for a 'family' with its dark interiors and cramped rear seat.
So - go play to your strengths Ford! See, it got your ad a dedicated thread on team-bhp.
Off Topic, they won't change. The CEO is all talk and no go. The showrooms are still customer averse (Marathahalli Bangalore one deserves special mention)
For ages now I have been following up with them for the Automatic version of the Freestyle BS6. Not only do they not plan to launch it - they will 'some day' launch the automatic version of the already buried Figo!
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 10:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Things like door thuds, thickness of sheet metal and panel flex have already been embedded as factors that affect crash worthiness in public memory, when it clearly is not the case. Adding the "above 5 stars" tagline only makes things worse as the Indian spec Ecosport hasn't even been crash tested yet.
True, especially now that a dozen and a half run of the mill car YouTube channels and Instagram pages (dunno about other social media) have started becoming obnoxious with their cringeworthy memes on safety ratings

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks