Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 14:00   #1
BHPian

Small + frugal safety features with a big impact

While a lot of discussion is happening on the forum over 'safety - post collision', I wish to raise voice for cheap solutions for collision avoidance. There are some really innovative solutions out there, and they cost peanuts. I have listed some such features that I have seen in some vehicles.

We deserve more such features to be standard OEM fitments. Do share such frugal solutions that you think have major safety impact for collision avoidance.

Fatigue reminder
Just like 80kmph/120kmph warning, fatigue warning should be integrated by OEMs. It is very easy to figure out, for how long the vehicle is running. Set warning at 4 or 5 hours of continuous running. Compulsory halts for engine cooling are yesteryear's thing.
With better engineering, we tend to run our horses for long. A simple fatigue warning can help the driver take that necessary break.

Mirror with 'OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR' absent
Compare the images below. The magnifying mirrors provide better vision. Secondly, one need not adjust/adapt to distorted Field of View.
Most cars have these mirrors today, but not all. I think this kind of ORVMs are a must.

Small + frugal safety features with a big impact-orvm.jpg

Third lane mirror integrated in ORVM
Regular mirrors have limited coverage. The magnified ones have further restricted field. Hence, the third lane integrated mirrors do really great job. This mirror I've found only in Ford EcoSport till now. It's surely non-expensive solution, but very high impact one - when it comes to safety. Like the image below, people may add a convex mirror, but it covers part of factory mirror and difficult to get used to.

Small + frugal safety features with a big impact-orvm3rd-lane.jpg

Last edited by akshye : 26th November 2020 at 17:39.
akshye is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 06:41   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Small + frugal safety features with a big impact

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Safety Section. Thanks for sharing!

I know of a relatively small 1.5 kg safety feature that is more important than a strong structure or all the safety features in the world:
Small + frugal safety features with a big impact-d305ec2a9f5a48948cd3a7c43bb0756bbrain640.jpg
Source
GTO is offline   (140) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:50   #3
BHPian

Re: Small + frugal safety features with a big impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know of a relatively small 1.5 kg safety feature that is more important than a strong structure or all the safety features in the world:
LOVELY! At last .

Technologies to prevent accidents and technologies that help a driver prevent accidents. It is all in the driver's hands. What is not in the driver's hands is in Lord Almighty's hands.

Thank you
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 10:36   #4
BHPian

Small but significant safety features that I can recall:

1. Cheesy stickers - These gawky stickers gives others better visibility of your car thus avoiding accidents.

2. Touchscreen enabled music systems/Ac controls: touching/fondling unnecessary fancy things keeps my mind calm and thus prevents rash driving .

3. Unstable body structure: What could be better for pedestrian safety that a car whose strength is even weaker than the bone density of pedestrian?

4. Puny Engines and/or ill-programmed slushboxes : These safety features prevent any tendency to overtake thus make me a better driver. Its an altogether a different matter that I will need to follow that lorry for a mile to find a W-I-D-E enough gap but isn't it safer that way ?

5. Weak brakes : Since I am forced to maintain a mile long distance from the car ahead so it prevents piling of vehicle in case of accidents.

6. Candle based headlights: less chance of blinding the jaywalkers so it safer.

7. Sunroof to poke my head from when the car is being driven by my moron friend at 1XX KMPH : I may fly due to impact and land safely at a sufficient distance from the collision site thus avoiding being burnt in the resultant fire.
Heart_Revs is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 10:54   #5
BHPian

Working & clean brake lights (trucks/rainy season) are the biggest ones IMHO. When taking a long highway drive, I drive with parking lights on which help in improving your visibility during the day especially if you are driving against sun. In rainy season, I wipe out all my lights (front and back) every 2 hrs of driving. I also ensure every 2-2.5 hrs I have a photo/chai break.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 11:26   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Sleep!

Before a long trip make sure to get a good 7-8 hour sleep.
Kosfactor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 12:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Sleep!

Before a long trip make sure to get a good 7-8 hour sleep.
The two best advices for a safe drive. Nothing beats them.
  1. A good and sound sleep before the drive.
  2. Better understanding of yourselves, the car, the road conditions and the ability to understand and accept your bodily signals.
  3. Readiness to take a break. I know, I'm not going into a war to trigger a shell on the enemy.

Last edited by saisree : 29th November 2020 at 12:36.
saisree is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 12:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - I have recently added in my nearly five years old TUV3OO. It does not cost much and adds value in terms of safety.

Last edited by airbus : 29th November 2020 at 12:46.
airbus is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 13:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know of a relatively small 1.5 kg safety feature that is more important than a strong structure or all the safety features in the world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Technologies to prevent accidents and technologies that help a driver prevent accidents. It is all in the driver's hands. What is not in the driver's hands is in Lord Almighty's hands.
Those who have grown up watching the likes of Jerry Seinfeld will remember one of his items about helmet. He goes to say that we humans have always taken a keen interest in doing all activities that have the potential to smash our heads in. But ingenious as we are - we decided to develop a helmet to save our skull from cracking - instead of trying to avoid these activities that cause these in the first place.

Relates quite well here doesn't it?
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 13:49   #10
BHPian

1. Auto Tail lamp ON when darkness arrives.
Have seen examples where the DRLs are really bright at night and folks drive without their headlamps ON. This is outright dangerous.
2. Carbon monoxide indicator in car.
Hugely beneficial for safety reasons and for those who smoke in their cars.
3. Auto Switch OFF of car when seatbelts aren't buckled and Any gear is engaged.
TorqMaster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 13:58   #11
BHPian

In line with GTO's 1.5 kg advice and one of its application - Do not keep tall items in mid console cup holders or driver side door bins. In case of emergency braking, there is a very high chance that these items can get displaced and fly into drivers footwell. In worst case scenarios, can even come under the brake pedal leading to a catastrophic situation.

Last edited by steadfast : 29th November 2020 at 14:00.
steadfast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 14:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Reflective stickers

As a biker, you never know when you may fall courtesy some debris on the road - in those cases, visibility = safety

All my cars and bikes past and present have annoying levels of high visibility signage on all sides - much morethan the average cab! Better safe than sorry

I have almost never seen other highway warriors do more than a couple of stickers at the rear!
On my bike, I have reflective stickers:
- Front: Bumper fender
- Side: at the side of the fairing, using the red color scheme
- Rear: Below the number plate and on the panniers as well.
Small + frugal safety features with a big impact-reflectivestickers.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Small + frugal safety features with a big impact-reflectivestickers.2.jpg  

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th November 2020 at 14:52.
phamilyman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 14:55   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post

Mirror with 'OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR' absent
Compare the images below. The magnifying mirrors provide better vision. Secondly, one need not adjust/adapt to distorted Field of View.
Most cars have these mirrors today, but not all. I think this kind of ORVMs are a must.

Attachment 2084716
Trying to understand this point better. So which mirror is better? The one with 'Objects in mirror...' or the one without? Sorry if it was obvious to others but I am confused reading about magnifying mirrors!
RockingHorse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 14:57   #14
BHPian

1. For city drives, plan your trip. Leave a little early.
2. For outstation drives, drive in daylight. Cars headlamps can't be brighter than sun. 😀

Last edited by turbo_delight : 29th November 2020 at 14:59. Reason: Change
Old 29th November 2020, 15:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I know of a relatively small 1.5 kg safety feature that is more important than a strong structure
Honestly, I only knew how much does a mazdoor ka haath weigh; courtesy, Sunny Praaji!

Personally, I find blind spot mirrors to be one of the best things to happen to mankind. Not only can it be a boon when it rains on the highway but also during parking when you want to avoid curb rash, and during night drives!

I remember once during 2015, when we were hunting for our new car, we wanted to make a right turn to enter my township and as usual, I had my right indicator blinking. But, one auto rickshaw guy saw an opportunity to earn a quick buck from us by driving behind our car on the diagonal right in the usual "blind spot range" with no intensions to let us turn without hitting him. Poor guy, didn't knew that we had blind mirrors. Had I turned, I the right rear door and quater panel would have been damaged so, I slowed down on the left and let the guy pass my car. The rickshaw was only carrying one other person which they do when they have to scam someone. It was actually a common practice in the town

So blind spot mirrors essentially save you from scams as well.

Another safety threat as per me, are the low wattage headlamps with inadequate throw and poorly designed reflectors. This could lead to a dangerous situation on single lane highways and even on multi-lane ones for that matter.

Last edited by Aish_4761 : 29th November 2020 at 15:17. Reason: Spell check
Aish_4761 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks