Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 21:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Passenger airbag to be made mandatory

If the common folks understand why and for what it is there (passenger airbag), this can save lives. Otherwise it will be disastrous !

Why ? I have seen morons fasten the passenger seat belt onto the buckle without any passenger. Later the passenger sits over without fastening the belt. This way no seat belt chime warning is present. However if the car were to be in an accident, the airbag would get activated in front of the unrestrained passenger and that could end up badly.

Hope awareness is raised on proper usage/ relation of airbag and seatbelts. Perhaps a warning sticker.
TrackDay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 21:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Welcome move by government and I hope government will not budge on its decision due to lobbying by automobile industry. I also wish that along with this, stringent crash test norms are also brought in.

When I replaced my front seat belts sometime back, I saw those seat belt units were marked as airbag and technician connecting a sensor cable to the seat belt retractor. So, in the absence of a pressure/weight sensor in the front passenger seat, whether the seat belt sensor will be used to detect presence of a passenger?

Last edited by airbus : 18th December 2020 at 21:57. Reason: Grammer.
Old 18th December 2020, 22:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

They should have made ESC mandatory too in this amendment.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 22:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think a stable structure is more important than an additional airbag. No point if you have 2/6/7 airbags and the structure is not stable?

Also a mandatory Active crash avoidance system is the need of the hour? Debatable?
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 17:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Good move by government, I wish they also made below features mandatory in all vehicles
  • Rear Defogger
  • Rear wiper
  • Day/Night IRVM
  • Auto door unlock on impact
Yes, these are bare essential features and very underrated features in a car. ESP, Hill hold and traction control can also be mandated as well as these are proactive safety aids. One thing though, no matter what, if the person sitting in the car fails to buckle up, then these safety features (especially airbags) are redundant
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 10:51   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Passenger airbag to be made mandatory

Mod Note: Thread moved to the Road Safety forum. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent move . The government is giving it to the car manufacturers slowly. First came ABS + rear parking sensors + driver airbag + crash testing + BS6 etc. Slowly, we'll see ESP too & for sure.

Am so glad that no one in Delhi listens to the automotive lobby or SIAM. They pretty much talk to themselves
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 11:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Timeline might be very short for this, may be a maximum of 18 months considering the Airbag ECU, crash sensors are already present with scalability (considering higher variants). For manufacturers it will be just integration of additional airbag, some wiring design change, dashboard compatibility (just a check and stamping SRS on lower variants) for passenger airbag.

Rightly captured, for example, a vehicle having central door lock and airbag ECU can be given free of cost. what really bugs me is that when a manufacturer creates differentiation in variants by safety features that cost nothing or meagre amount.

Some more much needed features,

- One touch lane change indication (many people forget to turn off indicators and create confusion).
- 3 point seatbelts for 2nd row middle occupant.
- Alcolock (like in Europe CVs).
- Speed based high beam deactivation - this will avoid vision beaching from oncoming vehicle in city drives and low speed drives, since you don't need to see 200m away at 30 kmph.

And I would like to see specially some regulation reducing the use of horn (which is logically thought of). Already there was a proposal for reducing the sound level of horns by certain dBs, I don't know if its implemented.

Oh damn. That's a solid burn for our friends over at Maruti Suzuki! They would have to make their cars safer now. Introduce airbags in the base segment as well.
rudrakshmahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
- Speed based high beam deactivation - this will avoid vision beaching from oncoming vehicle in city drives and low speed drives, since you don't need to see 200m away at 30 kmph.
Is this present on any vehicle currently ? or implemented by any country ? Haven't heard of this.
Old 20th December 2020, 12:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[b]

Excellent move . The government is giving it to the car manufacturers slowly. First came ABS + rear parking sensors + driver airbag + crash testing + BS6 etc. Slowly, we'll see ESP too & for sure.

Am so glad that no one in Delhi listens to the automotive lobby or SIAM. They pretty much talk to themselves
True, OEMs were focussed on some non value added refreshes and launches every year just trying to keep buyers interested without much benefit. So, government's fire and forget attitude towards automotive policies helped buyers, and it also proved that no mater what concerns were raised to delay implementation was just a lame excuse. If OEMs had to divert resources, then it was possible..

But government didn't listen to few valid requests related to GST reduction for easy adaptation of added cost due to all the features. It's not the cost increase that lowered demand, but rate of cost increase and some out of control situation. So auto sector really could have used this buffer for just a couple of quarters..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
Is this present on any vehicle currently ? or implemented by any country ? Haven't heard of this.
Not sure @Turbolove.. I haven't seen anywhere, I improvised this feature from speed dependent volume control of Fiat Punto. (The speaker volume is increased if your vehicle speed increases)
Old 20th December 2020, 12:48   #25
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th January 2021 at 06:38.
Old 20th December 2020, 13:23   #26
BHPian

While a excellent move, I foresee some problems. The lack of awareness about the dangers of children in front seats. Most people are simply not aware of what happens when a child below 12 years sits in a car with passenger air bags. Heck, people sit with a child on their laps as if their hands are going to be enough of a restraint.

Before passenger side air bags are made mandatory, a legislation barring children below 13 years sitting in the front and compulsory use of CRS (Child Restraint System) is a must.

I know all the arguments of cost and the noise how it’s not practical in our country, but safety comes at a cost and has some ‘inconvenience’ attached to it.
Old 20th December 2020, 19:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful initiative, after no toll plaza, I think this is a welcome move. But, what piques my interest is how well the added input cost doesn't compromise the safety aspects of the other parts of the vehicle. Apart from the 75% galvanized steel theory, which who knows what. Nevertheless, it's about time, the auto sector given some leeway by the govt in input costs of certain materials which would directly benefit the manufacturer and the consumer.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 20th December 2020, 22:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Good move by government, I wish they also made below features mandatory in all vehicles
  • Rear Defogger
  • Rear wiper
  • Day/Night IRVM
  • Auto door unlock on impact

I guess these features do not cost a lot, but improves safety of the overall vehicle during rainy season and night drives.
I wish we get Adaptive Headlamps as mandatory. I know it's a big ask at this point, but driving at night times in 1/2 lane roads are very difficult with drivers who have no sense on how to use High Beam.

Govt. need to immediately stop / ban people adding additional lights / flickers in their vehicle. This habit is increasing drastically in the past few year or so here in Tamilnadu, making night drives difficult.
₹itzylove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Good move. Slowly but surely, we're getting to that point where every car is has a certain minimum level of safety equipment as standard.
Old 20th December 2020, 23:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Auto door unlock on impact
No sure about Auto door unlock on impact. A thief may bang the car purposely to unlock and then commit heist.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks