Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 08:26   #46
BHPian

Passenger Airbag to be mandatory for all cars by June 2021

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liv...226091798.html

GOI has proposed to finally mandate Passenger side Airbags as mandatory for new cars starting April 2021 and for existing cars from June 2021.
Carma2017 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 09:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passenger airbag to be made mandatory

FADA said, the government's proposal to make dual front airbags mandatory will lead to increase in price and vehicle manufacturers should absorb the major hike in costs to prevent impact on sales.

Quote:
We hope OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) should absorb the major cost of input due to the second airbag as it will impact the sales in short-term which will be bad for the industry, which is able to show growth on MoM (month-on-month) basis, but still lags in YoY (year-on-year) basis after Covid hit us hard," Gulati said.
Source
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:57   #48
BHPian

Re: Passenger Airbag to be mandatory for all cars by June 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...226091798.html

GOI has proposed to finally mandate Passenger side Airbags as mandatory for new cars starting April 2021 and for existing cars from June 2021.
Ok, so I totally misinterpreted the order. After reading the livemint.com article, I wonder if six months is even enough to change manufacturing processes and get the right parts to fit cars with passenger air bags?

What does new cars mean anyway? Does it mean new models introduced after April 2021?
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:42   #49
BHPian

Re: Passenger Airbag to be mandatory for all cars by June 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
Ok, so I totally misinterpreted the order. After reading the livemint.com article, I wonder if six months is even enough to change manufacturing processes and get the right parts to fit cars with passenger air bags?

What does new cars mean anyway? Does it mean new models introduced after April 2021?
Yes. From what I hear, because of need for preparedness of Airbag makers (who incidentally seem to have lobbied heavily in favour of this notification), for new models, the implementation date is June or July and for existing model in October.
Old 7th March 2021, 12:59   #50
BHPian

Re: Passenger airbag to be made mandatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Wait. I thought airbags were made mandatory a few years ago. If it's my bad, then still this is a great move and it's better later than never. GoI could have also included Hill Hold, Traction control and ESP as mandatory features and for car makers it's a matter of enabling these in the ECU. Hope a mandate is passed on for better build and part quality as well.

Received these on WhatsApp yesterday and it's high time the government emphasises on better build quality.

Attachment 2129601

Attachment 2129602

Wow! I do hope the occupants are safe and sound.

That though, is a very interesting picture. I wonder what the chain of events were, that led to this result. It doesn’t seem to be a major accident as the rest of the car looks relatively undamaged. Hit a pothole at speed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks