Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 12:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Will the crash test rating change if a higher variant is chosen?

As far as I understand, there are 2 scenarios of a car getting tested :-

1. Manufacturer themselves sends a car for testing - in this case they can send any variant and would obviously prefer to send the top most variant
2. GNCAP picks up a model from the market - generally which has completed 1 year of sale and sells in substantial amount vis-a-vis their competitors. In this case, they pick the base variant

Testing multiple variants of the same car doesn't make sense (unless the manufacturer wants to sponsor it). Testing the base variant seems the most sensible choice.
Old 4th July 2021, 12:51   #17
BHPian

The tested Kia Seltos had 2 airbags. With the kind of tests that GNCAP does, the side and curtain airbags will not affect the result much. They dont do the pole test. The body structure was determined to be unstable, so side airbags wont help.

Also, from another forum member's post on Kia and Hyundai cars, it is evident that the Indian versions have little or no amount of Ultra High Strength Steel or Stamped steel. I will bet money on the "IN" platform on which the Kushaq and Taigun are based have made the same compromise.
Old 4th July 2021, 12:52   #18
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post

1. Manufacturer themselves sends a car for testing - in this case they can send any variant and would obviously prefer to send the top most variant
2. GNCAP picks up a model from the market - generally which has completed 1 year of sale and sells in substantial amount vis-a-vis their competitors. In this case, they pick the base variant

Testing multiple variants of the same car doesn't make sense (unless the manufacturer wants to sponsor it). Testing the base variant seems the most sensible choice.
Your conclusion makes complete sense. There would be instances where option 1. would contradict the philosophy of option 2. (When the highest spec model has multiple airbags and the base doesn't). Inductive reasoning would suggest that the higher-end model would be an "optional extra" and the base model would have to be tested even in option one. Any other option would create a wonky baseline in this circumstance.

Last edited by kdp : 4th July 2021 at 12:56. Reason: capitalisation
Old 5th July 2021, 00:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdriver View Post

Nowadays in India base variants of cars also come with airbags, I think because of awareness.
It has more to do with the government's safety norms. I am not sure any sub 5L cars had air bags in base variants before July 2019(I think that is when the safety norms were enforced). Government has mandated one airbag now. Soon it will be 2 airbags. Most manufacturers provide dual airbags in base variants.

Also, manufacturers like Tata who provided almost all the safety features right from the base variants, should be appreciated in this aspect.
Old 5th July 2021, 01:01   #20
anb
BHPian

Yes. There will be more points as there will be more safety features like more no of air bags, ESP etc. Isofix mounts in only higher variants results in better Child safety ratings compared to base model.

Last edited by anb : 5th July 2021 at 01:19.
Old 5th July 2021, 12:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
It has more to do with the government's safety norms. I am not sure any sub 5L cars had air bags in base variants before July 2019(I think that is when the safety norms were enforced). Government has mandated one airbag now. Soon it will be 2 airbags. Most manufacturers provide dual airbags in base variants.

Also, manufacturers like Tata who provided almost all the safety features right from the base variants, should be appreciated in this aspect.
I think that the frontal offset crash test is supposed to be at 56 kmph in case of BNVSAP(Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Programme) which should be upgraded to 64 kmph like Global NCAP(correct me if I am wrong). Government has MORE to do with safety norms.
Tata had launched the Altroz after scoring 5 star🌟 rating in crash test (GNCAP) which other manufacturers should also follow.
Fastdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 12:20   #22
BHPian

Firmly support testing the base variant. Human life and safety first over profits.

I strongly feel variants should be differentiated only on non safety features.

Eg: As on 2019, Brezza, Nexon offer isofix right from base variants whereas Ecosport offers only on the top variants
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 13:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, even if the manufacturer voluntarily sends a car, the safety equipment on the car has to be standard across the range. For e.g, the Mahindra XUV 300 top variant has 7 airbags but the variant tested was the 2 airbag one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Yes. There will be more points as there will be more safety features like more no of air bags, ESP etc. Isofix mounts in only higher variants results in better Child safety ratings compared to base model.
Again the answer is no for the GNCAP test protocol. Apart from the actual crash rating, there are points alloted only for front airbags, seat belt reminders & ABS. ABS & driver airbags are mandatory from 2019. Passenger airbags will be mandatory from Dec. 2021 (deadline extended by 3 months)

From 2022, a side crash will also be standard and ESP will be considered in the GNCAP test protocol. To get a 5 star rating the vehicle will have to have ESP on all variants (Related thread (Global NCAP crash tests to get a lot tougher))

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 5th July 2021 at 13:15.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 17:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends, from my own experience it is the highest selling spec of a particular vehicle that is crash tested.
Old 5th July 2021, 17:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
No, even if the manufacturer voluntarily sends a car, the safety equipment on the car has to be standard across the range. For e.g, the Mahindra XUV 300 top variant has 7 airbags but the variant tested was the 2 airbag one.
Yes you might be right. I went and checked all the Indian spec cars tested by GNCAP and couldn't find any model which had more safety features than their corresponding base variant. So I think it is safe to assume they are testing the base variants only.
Old 5th July 2021, 18:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
What I fail to understand is, instead of testing only the base variant of a car, why not go a step ahead and test the higher variants as well?
This forces auto makers to provide safety as a standard and not an option. There's also a flip side to it. In addition to extra safety features, higher variants also tend to have anti-safety features like sunroof that may return bad safety scores. The place where the glass roof meets the steel can give up easily in a crash.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 07:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
This forces auto makers to provide safety as a standard and not an option. There's also a flip side to it. In addition to extra safety features, higher variants also tend to have anti-safety features like sunroof that may return bad safety scores. The place where the glass roof meets the steel can give up easily in a crash.
Very important point! It will be interesting to see how a vehicle with sunroof (higher variant) scores after the base variant without sunroof scores five stars 🌟 in crash test.
Fastdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 17:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdriver View Post
Very important point! It will be interesting to see how a vehicle with sunroof (higher variant) scores after the base variant without sunroof scores five stars �� in crash test.
The roof itself is not going to impact GNCAP - if that's the case the Thar wouldn't have gotten 4 stars! The crumble zones and rigid passenger compartment to protect the A-Pillar from deformation, causing the roof to collapse will take of that

Even with more stringent NCAP like Euro's, Sun roof equipped car is not a negative factor.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 18:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The roof itself is not going to impact GNCAP - if that's the case the Thar wouldn't have gotten 4 stars! The crumble zones and rigid passenger compartment to protect the A-Pillar from deformation, causing the roof to collapse will take of that

Even with more stringent NCAP like Euro's, Sun roof equipped car is not a negative factor.
What will happen to the passengers of a sunroof equipped car like EcoSport (good build quality assumed) if it is involved in an accident with multiple rollovers at high speed provided the passengers are wearing/fastening seat belts properly (This is not tested in NCAP though)?
Old 27th July 2021, 18:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

What will happen to the passengers of a sunroof equipped car like EcoSport (good build quality assumed) if it is involved in an accident with multiple rollovers at high speed provided the passengers are wearing/fastening seat belts properly (This is not tested in NCAP though) compared to its non sunroof equipped model?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks