Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2021, 10:55   #46
BHPian

Re: Bangalore: Use of Bluetooth, earphones while riding / driving illegal

It makes sense if they are banning the use of Bluetooth earphones while driving, as it might hamper your hearing capability. But, we can still make/receive a call through the in-built call functions present in most recent cars. I have seen a few riders using earphones in the city and completely unaware of their surroundings. It leads to mishaps happening all the time.
For example, not being aware of people coming from the rear and taking a sudden turn to the right side, driving too close to the bus/truck and suddenly get hit by them, and many more.

I am not saying people without earphones are always driving sanely, but with earphones, the chances of mishaps are higher.
Old 5th October 2021, 11:50   #47
BHPian

To all the folks here who say that this could pertain to headsets/earphones alone - please note that cops interpret the letter fo the law and not the spirit of the law.

The letter of the saw says Bluetooth music, bluetooth phone calls, and google-maps OK of there is a phone holder. And that's exactly how cops will choose to interpret it.

So, if you use Apple Maps or MapMyIndia on your phone, you're screwed (just kidding); but if you use navigationa nd the phone is not in a windshield-mounted phone-holder, but is rather just placed in a cup-holder, they could very well choose to say you do not have a phone-holder, so pay up.

If I want to be a smartass I could always say when stopped "Saar, owner-madam is the one talking on the bluetooth phone call (or listening to music), I am not listening at all, I am only the driver " and protest all the way while being perp-walked to jail LOL

Cheers
tilt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 12:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
To all the folks here who say that this could pertain to headsets/earphones alone - please note that cops interpret the letter fo the law and not the spirit of the law.
Exactly my thoughts. The cops in bengaluru are a little too keen on penalizing the road users every time. With such unclear laws, it helps them to mint more money. Hate me or call me a Criticizer, majority of the traffic cops in bengaluru don't uphold the spirit of the law.

But my question is why is this law only in Bengaluru? If there is such a concern, this should have been implemented or added to the Motor Vehicles law and not just restricted to Bengaluru. Why is it that the motor vehicles rule vary in different states!
logicalidiot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 12:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Why do lawmakers make laws on such confusing levels!
Only then, cops can interpret it the way they want and harass the motorists to meet their fine collection targets dropped from the top.
Old 5th October 2021, 12:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Why do lawmakers make laws on such confusing levels!
What about using car's bluetooth for speaking?
And isn't using Google maps confusing enough?
People turn abruptly without any indication and when confronted, blame on Google maps instructions. With our brilliant internet connection, I've lost turns a lot of times!
Technically, it is not a law.
It is just some diktak issued by some random person.

If challenged in the court of law, such diktaks will be thrown out of the window.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 16:40   #51
BHPian

And in the meantime, the fines collected from the offending citizens will keep the cops happy.

Rule implementation is poor at best. Especially outside the ring road and in the service roads of main roads it is always chaos. People riding in the wrong way are always there. Without a helmet and talking on the phone is a real common sight.

In my area, the traffic police just lift the 2-wheelers in no-parking zones and ignore the cars. This has led to absurd jams because people double park on both sides.

The traffic police do not stop a car unless you have violated some rule, unlike a 2-wheeler rider who is stopped for no reason. If you are stopped, they have an additional reason to fine you. The existing rules, if implemented well are sufficient.

The headphone rule seems targeted at the delivery boys who are the new crazy riders in this city.
Old 5th October 2021, 16:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A clarification will definitely follow that it's for "bluetooth headphones" and I agree with that.

- If you are using Bluetooth headphones for phone calls, well, that is already a no-no in many states.

- If you are using Bluetooth headphones for music, it is quite dangerous. Today's headphones are powerful and along with the music volume + noise cancelling feature, they do block out exterior sounds completely!
At the same time there are bone conduction headphones which will give you a sense of whats happening outside and at the same time you can listen to music and talk over the phone. I use it all the time and it doesn't sit inside the ear.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 21:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

I guess Shri Gadkari would be happy to see a State implement this. With the Musical Horns news catching up pace. Why use bluetooth and handsfree, when people can start singing and humming with their horns. Imagine the drama at every signals, highways, the resulting noise pollution. :eyeroll Sigh! We as a species are truly heading north in every which way possible as humanity and liberality.

God bless us all.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 5th October 2021, 22:08   #54
BHPian

Well, if people think banning bluetooth headphones while driving is not ok. Please go ahead and challenge in the court of law, instead of ranting in this forum. It is very easy to talk, type and discuss and almost equally impossible to get people follow rules.
So for benefit of all people, this decision is taken. Do note ours is country of just rule followers like us , but also country of rule breakers and country of no sense of people who know rules exist.
So decision maybe not popular, it is for greater good in interest of safety of self and others.
We should support such decisions instead of blindly opposing them and finding out loop holes even before implementation data is out.
Old 6th October 2021, 11:28   #55
BHPian

This is just one more excuse for Bangalore police to harass and collect fines from the motorists. All they want to do is to increase their kitty. If they are really concerned about road safety, they should first correct the potholes and reduce the height of the mountains that they call as speed breakers.

As it is, driving a TN registered vehicle in Bangalore is a pain. I get stopped two - three times on an average going from south Bangalore to the airport. Same driving, if done in a KA car, no one bats an eye lid. One just needs to drive / travel in a TN registered car in Bangalore to understand the level of harassment that the police do.

Now I shiver to think how many times I will be stopped with such random and idiotic rules in Bangalore.
Old 6th October 2021, 11:39   #56
BHPian

I was waiting for someone to ask this question, but no one did. What is the legality of SENA Bluetooth Devices under this so called rule?, can it be placed on the helmet without using it for communication? or we just stop talking to each other on SENA when stopped by a cop?.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks