Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2022, 23:44   #61
BHPian

Re: The safest modes of transport - Are personal cars worth the risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
but there is a saying "Lies, damn lies and then statistics". I definitely agree to this when it comes to driving, I feel it is the safest for me and I am the happiest when driving. No amount of data and statistics can take that away from me.
Lovely comment. This is the reason I chose to drive 36Hrs while relocating Kolkata - Pune when my company offered to sponsor couriering my car via packers and movers and buying me flight tickets as well. As for me: (Replace speed with driving )
Name:  068b0f69986133b103b366d2910d3366.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  46.0 KB
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:17   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Which is why if the flight end point is not too far from Bombay (of course Poona but also Goa), I prefer to drive my self. And as our roads improve, longer distances become doable as well.
I was going through this tread searching for answers for my own queries, and till now above quoted words are the closest that came to my questions.

My question is how far can be considered not too far from source to destination. Last year in October I had to take this Hyderabad-Gorakhpur-Hyderabad (total of 2900 km in 4 days) road trip because the flight operator cancelled the flight. Everyone felt I am nuts and nobody in my close circle feels this habit of road trips (even shorter 600-800km a day driving) is safe and is the right choice. So, is taking a flight to Gorakhpur (UP) from Hyderabad is better than driving?

Even myself would prefer to drive myself to my destination, but does that holds good with family (wife + new born kid)? "Shall we be more responsible - as expected by our parents and well-wishers".

Note - For anyone reading this post I would like to admit the fact that whenever I book a flight ticket I get this fear of flying. Recent days have seen news of Indigo flight engine catching fire during take-off and had to abort take-off, Spicejet engine caught fire just after take-off and had to return back to land immediately - all this adds up in my mind and the weird question always knock the windows of my brain - that how safe is AIR TRAVEL, am I better taking a train or drive to my hometown (1500 km away).
Old 3rd November 2022, 13:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
My question is how far can be considered not too far from source to destination. ...

Even myself would prefer to drive myself to my destination, but does that holds good with family (wife + new born kid)? "Shall we be more responsible - as expected by our parents and well-wishers".
In my books, the answer is One day. One Day.
If you can reach your destination in one day (8/10/12/14) hours of driving, you are fine to drive.

Some can only drive for 6 hrs only, while some others can do 14 hrs easily.

As long as you can reach your destination in one day, you can *Consider* driving by yourself.
Why an asterisk? Road conditions, people behavior, theft areas, vehicle condition, etc.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 20:29   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
Note - For anyone reading this post I would like to admit the fact that whenever I book a flight ticket I get this fear of flying. Recent days have seen news of Indigo flight engine catching fire during take-off and had to abort take-off, Spicejet engine caught fire just after take-off and had to return back to land immediately - all this adds up in my mind and the weird question always knock the windows of my brain - that how safe is AIR TRAVEL, am I better taking a train or drive to my hometown (1500 km away).
As air traffic density becomes higher, incidents happen a little more regularly. It's all about probability at a higher level. When lakhs of vehicles ply on Indian roads , that too with the chaotic road manners, it's a miracle that there are only hundreds of deaths everyday. I think, subject to general safety precautions, road travel is fine for most people who has self restrain and sufficient awareness.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks