Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2022, 19:54   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Pandemic of wrong side driving - What is the cure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Did the axiom "Where there's a will, there's a way"( should've been wrong way) orginate from here?
On a lighter note! Hey hey hey. Tintin The Calculus Affair. Arturo Benedetto Cartofoli ….. Da Milano…and his gorgeous Lancia Aurelia causing havoc in Europe. Tintin in Tibet might be another reference. And here is my Scale Model of that lovely Lancia
Attached Thumbnails
Pandemic of wrong side driving - What is the cure?-d5d2693589224e47b7723e71fd8edfcf.jpeg  

Pandemic of wrong side driving - What is the cure?-5201e7817107458a88088c749828ef7a.jpeg  

Pandemic of wrong side driving - What is the cure?-7969e37ff430404284e59850407e7c1f.jpeg  

Pandemic of wrong side driving - What is the cure?-9f527684c9a14004ae9513477436fecc.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 21:02   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone who has been driving in Calcutta for long, wrong side driving has been strongly handled by Kolkata Police and is now limited to one off case. As the OP asked the question- what is the cure ? The cure is what the Mumbai Police started, by fining and registering cases against the motorist but look what the media has turned that into !!

If the administrators did their job properly and gave the Police the free hand to deal with the situation, everyone would have fallen in line. But then, when honking is being defended in this forum, expecting the less informed to do the right thing is expecting too much

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 17th July 2022 at 21:04.
Old 18th July 2022, 02:09   #78

This for sure is a problem on our roads. Have seen bigger vehicles (even school buses) driving in wrong lanes with kids in them.
Practically, police cant cover all the sections to catch wrong side drivers everywhere. Installing CCTV to cover entire road network might not be feasible as well. So how can these wrong side drivers be caught ? Maybe something like this can help :

1. Govt should mandate dashcam on all 4-wheelers.
2. Have some standars cam app developed, through which uploading pics (number plate details of offenders can be quiet easy to a deficated govt portal)
3. The offenders should be fined instantly.
4. Part of that fine (10-20 %) should be transferred to persons account who uploaded pic of offender - call it reward or something
5. If x number of folks upload pic of same offender, fine on offender should be ‘x’ times and all of the ‘x’ persons should be given the reward. Fine multiplication would usually happen if offender has done violation in high traffic scenario or has done violation for a longer duration on the road.

With minimal investment, govt will get a lot of revenue. And people who report the offenders wont have to worry about identity detection / abuse etc. from the offenders (if they are worried abt this while sharing pics or videos on social media)
nimz_blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 19:51   #79
BHPian

Gurgaon has introduced a stringent penalty of Rs. 5000 for wrong side driving. From my observation and experience Gurgaon Traffic Police is quite active when it comes to taking action on traffic violations and issuing challans. I'm sure this will bring about some deterrence in the minds of potential offenders. And I sincerely hope this has a rippling effect on motorists in other regions of Delhi NCR as well.

Source: https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...400964366.html
Old 25th August 2022, 20:04   #80
BHPian

In addition to hefty fines, there should be a suspension of license for 6 months along with annulment of the insurance in cases where the vehicle was being driven on the wrong side.
There will be no reason for people to stop breaking rules unless there are severe consequences.
Old 25th August 2022, 20:35   #81
BHPian

The laws are there, the problem is enforcement. It might not be the best solution, but right now, it will work immediately, and not just for wrong side driving, but for almost every other traffic related misdemeanour.

Amend all fines in such a way that the policeman gets a direct cut for the same. For example, a wrong side violation, if it attracts a Rs. 1000 penalty, 25% goes directly to the policeman responsible for catching the miscreant.

It will tackle the

1. Corruption, since there is no incentive to be corrupt, the policeman would be more vigilant and catch more offenders. I like to believe that no person (even policemen) is inherently corrupt, they are forced to do it because the basic pay is not good compared to the number of hours they work. If they make more money, at least some of the corruption can be eradicated.

2. Enforcement, see the same reason for point #1. (Incentive for making more money will automatically improve enforcement)

3. Increase fines collection, which will be all transparent, helping to get more funds to (in an ideal setup) spend on better infrastructure and the like.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 21:27   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
- In Bangalore, I've seen everything on the wrong side. Be it water tankers, cars (sedans/SUVs), auto-rickshaws, tempo travellers.
22 years for me in Bangalore, I have seen things get bad and then worse. The elementary rule for driving violators in Bangalore - If you see space (front, side, wherever), put your vehicle.
haribalram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 21:35   #83
Senior - BHPian

It’s getting ‘dangerous’ at Bangalore these days. Very dangerous and hard to drive even on 2 lane grade separated city roads. I’m wondering how many ‘close calls’ happen each hour. Won’t take much time before fatality increases due to this wrong side driving menace.
Old 4th September 2022, 17:51   #84
BHPian

While wrong side driving by one off motorists is one one side, what we see here in this video is taking it to an all new level. The entire chain of traffic is travelling on the wrong side of the road and that too in random lanes. The person that shared video has aptly captioned it as “Subway Surfers on Jammu - Srinagar highway”

Facebook Video Link

Last edited by sarav100 : 4th September 2022 at 17:51. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 13th September 2022, 14:10   #85
BHPian

Unless we find the cure for negligence/corruption/political influence in Police, we dont have much hope for curing this Wrong Side Driving Pandemic.

I was attacked by an auto driver on Sept 3rd, opp DY Patil Hospital, Navi Mumbai.

This is not the first time of violence against law abiding citizens here. You can see million traffic violations here, every day, every minute, whether wrong side driving, parking/driving on the footpaths, parking in no-parking zone, obstructing roads, sudden lane cutting. All this is happening right next to "Saavli", the Police Commissionerate building!

Autowalas have a union and support each other, and Police is super scared taking actions against any autowalas. From my personal experience, if you show any violation to any traffic police here (they rarely come here), instead of booking the offenders, police threaten to act against the victim/complainant itself.

In case of any written complaint, some black-sheep in the Police station give away contacts, addresses and family details of complainant to the offenders, and then the offenders call up the victim demanding the complaint be taken back.
Pulse500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 14:46   #86
BHPian

Have seen similar incident reported few days ago, on the twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/RisheekRish/stat...HlTwNXOQg&s=03

No fear of law due to poor execution of guidelines is the source of this menace.
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:45   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

An electric 2 wheeler, driven by a middle class lady, pulled out from from behind a parked taxi. Being an EV, it had picked up speed by the time it was near the front driver door of the taxi. Unknown to her, an old lady cyclist was headed her way in front of the taxi, riding on the wrong side of the road.

The moving cyclist darted suddenly from the front bonnet area of the parked taxi onto the oncoming EV's path. The inevitable head-on collision ensued. Both parties fell.

The young lady was mostly unhurt and the old lady was clutching her knees with a grimace.

The taxi-wallah and passers-by began berating the young lady point blank; such is the wont of our people, to latch on to the seeming "rich" person, or as a classist proxy - the driver of the bigger vehicle, in the aftermath of accidents (and I'm not an elitist, mind you).

I am always peeved by wrong-side driving on our roads and I was feeling hot-headed.

So, in stepped I and began asking aloud why they weren't questioning the cyclist for her role in the accident. "If she hadn't ridden on the wrong side of the road, this wouldn't have happened right" - I asked. "This is an important question to ask her, for everyone's sake."

Two people stepped away from the crowd.

"Do you mean if people drive on the wrong side, you will have the right to hit them? Is that correct?"

"Well, if she continues to ride on the wrong side, it could be me tomorrow that hits her, or someone else, perhaps even a lorry. The old lady would have been squashed if it were a lorry. What's the point of arguing over a dead body? To prevent such situations we have rules in the society. Just follow them."

One more person stepped away. The young lady took the opportunity to escape from the scene. I felt glad for her; she was being ganged up on in an unfair manner. She bore perhaps 30% of the fault for the accident, in my books. She should know better than to accelerate in that manner, on our roads.

"You must be from abroad. You know this is India. Don't ask such silly questions."

"Actually because this is India, we have to stick to the rules even more stringently. People drive so rashly here with no humane concern."

There was an uneasy murmur rippling through the crowd. I began to pull my motorcycle away, aware that I - a middle class person - had taken on a crowd that's sympathetic to a seeming "lower class" (their words, not mine) person. How dumb could I get?

"See your side stand - take it off sir", sneered a voice. He had had his victory for the day. This "rich" guy knows how to speak but can't remember to take off his side stand! He went away satisfied. I took off the damned side-stand and began riding away, happy that I didn't get beaten up by the crowd.

In my rear view mirror, the old lady limped back to her bicycle with help, only to ride down the same busy road all over again. And this "rich" guy came home to start slogging 14 hours a day, to pay taxes through his nose whilst most don't and to lead a mediocre existence in this insane country.

The famed American Wild West has nothing on the wild India of today.

Last edited by locusjag : 23rd September 2022 at 09:46.
locusjag is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:41   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I am always peeved by wrong-side driving on our roads and I was feeling hot-headed.
I truly loathe such people from the bottom of my heart. Such pure hatred I have only felt against wrong sided drivers.

Call me shameless, callous, cold-hearted or whatever word fits, but if one rides on the wrong way and they got hit, no matter what age, status, caste or creed they are, they absolutely deserve the consequence and even more.

The roads around my area is plagued with such zombies. One day, I was in my parked car to take a call (well on the shoulder of the road mind you) and this middle-aged moron comes wrong way, scrapes through my ORVMs and continues to go. The words that fit them can't unfortunately be said out loud on this decorated forum. And another day, on the same road a mechanic from a bike shop was doing wheelies going wrong way in a busy evening traffic (6.30pm).

I recall that horrific video where a father riding with his son by the shoulder falls down because of a wrong-side driver and the child paid for that moron's action with his life when a bus ran over him. Sometimes, it is others who pay for their stupid actions. So yeah, these wrong-sided drivers are the callous, shameless, cold-hearted ones.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 23rd September 2022 at 10:45.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:05   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Call me shameless, callous, cold-hearted or whatever word fits, but if one rides on the wrong way and they got hit, no matter what age, status, caste or creed they are, they absolutely deserve the consequence and even more....
Absolutely with you there.

But don't call yourself cold-hearted, as a man in the crowd called me today. I feel we're raging against the dying of the light. We seem to be entering an ever growing darkness in which no one thinks two steps ahead anymore. People just seem to be ambulating like animals, with no thought to what's going to happen.
Old 27th July 2023, 16:47   #90
BHPian

Here are the two incidents that I found on reddit/twitter:

1. Biker driving on the wrong side, hit by the car (graphic video).

Tweet here: https://twitter.com/firstpost/status...825086976?s=20
News article here: https://www.firstpost.com/india/watc...-12883962.html

2. Car driven on the wrong side on a flyover: https://www.reddit.com/r/CarsIndia/c...eb2x&context=3

What surprises me, that people will risk their lives to save 20-30 bucks worth of fuel?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks