Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 00:38   #16
BHPian

re: Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars

After reading the criticism from other members I'm wondering if I'm missing something because I couldn't find anything in the result that was unexpected or something which warrants speculations about the Latin spec car having a less safe structure as compared to its European counterpart.

The Tucson got a pretty good 82% for adult occupant safety (compared to 86% in Euro NCAP), and the child safety score (70%) though below par isn't a dealbreaker for most in my opinion -no one even talks about it whenever GNCAP tests an Indian car.
It got a significantly lower score than the 5-star rated VW Taos in the 'safety assist' and 'vulnerable road users' sections but that can be attributed to a lack of standard AEB and rear seatbelt reminder.

PS- I only talked about the 6 airbag version's results as that is much more relevant to the Indian market, however it was quite disappointing to know that the 2 airbag variant doesn't even come with ESC and ISOFIX as standard for the Latin American markets.

Last edited by PetrolheadRup : 1st September 2022 at 00:41.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 05:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quoting from the 6 airbag version test description

Frontal impact: The protection offered to the driver and passenger head and neck was good. Driver and passenger chest showed good protection. Driver and passenger’s knees showed marginal protection as they can impact with dangerous structures behind the fascia. Driver tibias showed adequate and good protection while passengers tibias showed good protection. Footwell area was rated as stable. The bodyshell was rated stable. Side impact: Head, chest, abdomen and pelvis protection was good. Side Pole Impact: The protection offered to the head and pelvis was good, abdomen showed adequate protection and chest received marginal protection. Whiplash: The seat showed marginal protection to the adult neck. UN R32: The car meets the rear impact structure requirements. AEB City: the car offers optional AEB City showing good performance but does not fulfil Latin NCAP availability requirements for scoring. Rescue sheet: meets Latin NCAP requirements.
"

It appears that the body is structurally stable and generally protects its occupants. Lets not get into the star number game without getting into the details. Otherwise we are no different than the fanboys flooding social media on either side of the divide.
fhdowntheline is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 06:45   #18
BHPian

Every time there is a crash test rating, there is a ripple effect and then things are business as usual. Our government is so active in its automobile policy matters like 6 airbags, emission norms, fuel mix, battery quality and so on.

Why can't the government mandate a standard crash worthiness report / rating for each new launch before the product is released into the market? At least the customers will have a data point for a conscious decision.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 06:54   #19
anb
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
This is indeed disappointing and would be good for Hyundai to come clear on what is it that we are getting in India.
The ANCAP has rated this 5 star:
https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati.../tucson/0b314b

I believe the kits we get are from Korea.
In the LNCAP, this is what I see:
https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...on-+-6-airbags

From VIN KMHJB81DBPU158713 and date June 2 2022 (Korea production)
From VIN TMAJB81DAPJ199084 and date April 4 2022 (Chezc Republic production)

No way I am shelling 40L+ on 3 star rated car

New Latin NCAP is a lot stricter than ANCAP. The only car to get a 5 star rating is Volkswagen Taos. I think 3 star rating is the highest ever rating achieved by vehicle after the VW. Most of the cars have achieved zero ratings under new Latin NCAP. Even the new Yaris has rated only one star. I thought one will research more about safety ratings before deciding to spend 40 lakhs for a vehicle.

"6 airbag variant of Tucson gets the second highest safety rating after VW Taos under latest LATIN NCAP ". This crash test can be interpreted in this way too.

Last edited by anb : 1st September 2022 at 06:57.
anb is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 07:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Fair point.
However, how might the prospective Indian Tucson customer be assured that the Tucson that made it to us ,despite being kits, has had no cost cutting that took place enroute?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Wonder if the real reason is that they are manufactured to different safety standards at the same Korean/Czech plants for Europe, Latin America and India.
For the older Gen3 Tucson at least, BHPian RSR has this brilliant post showing that at least structurally, the international and Indian Tucsons are the SAME (unlike the Creta/Seltos twins):
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4932365 (Are Indian Hyundais different from developed market Hyundais? If so, how?)

Guess we'll have to wait for such analysis for the Gen4 Tucson to be sure that no structural cost-cutting has taken place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Why can't the government mandate a standard crash worthiness report / rating for each new launch before the product is released into the market? At least the customers will have a data point for a conscious decision.
Well, there is a plan for this and I hope it really happens. In my opinion this is far more important than the 6-airbag rule being proposed.

"Union minister for Road Transport & Highways Nitin Gadkari has approved the draft notification to introduce Bharat NCAP (New Car Assessment Program). The program will be rolled out from April 1, 2023 and test passenger vehicles with up to eight seats weighing under 3.5 tonnes. Automobiles in India will be accorded star ratings based on their performance in crash tests factoring in the existing Indian regulations and driving conditions. "

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...y-morth-424906
lordrayden is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 08:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Remember Latin NCAP ratings are based on the maximum rating allowed by the worst performing category.

Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-screenshot-20220901-8.23.13-am.png

The Tucson has 82% for adult occupant protection[/b], 70% for child occupant protection (4 stars), 48% for vulnerable road users (5 stars), and 56% for safety assist (3 stars). So the safety assist is what limits the rating, and in the presentation Alejandro Furas says they've tested the AEB and LSS and they performed well, they only fail fitment rates, i.e., are only sold in volumes in Latin America too low to be considered for scoring.

It's not possible to compare with Euro NCAP percentages because the tests included in each category are different.

With the AEB and lane support fitted to more Tucson units in Latin America the Tucson could reach four stars.

Also important: the Tucson has 13.9/16 in the frontal impact. Add 1 point for seatbelt reminders and that's 14.9/17 or 5 stars in Global NCAP's old tests. Even in Global NCAP's new tests from July this year, it's 13.9 frontal+16 side+1seatbelt reminders = 30.9/34, additionally the Tucson meets UN127 pedestrian impact requirements, passes the side pole test and the ESC tests, so that's 5 stars again.
ron178 is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:03   #22
BHPian

These ratings results will only serve for Hyundai's competitors to play up against the Tucson.

While it is good to understand that there may be differentiating nuances in the spec sold in India, I don't know how much time a typical buyer will spend analyzing and deciding based on these differences in tests. Not to say that people shouldn't do their own research and make decisions right for themselves, but then beyond a point these become too technical for a layman. Also as discussed on other safety related threads in TBHP, how much these ratings help or apply for Indian road conditions/typical accidents is another item to be kept in mind when judging whether to buy or not.

Is it not that Hyundai will need to provide 1 car (or 2 max) to get the Indian-spec tested? What's stopping them doing it since they will have sales volumes of around 100 each month? Even if they don't care about the Indian market that much or work on changing the premium quotient perception of their brand, the incremental cost of providing 1 car should not be that big a deal. Voluntarily getting their India-spec tested will help clear up the air one way or the other.

Also, since there was mention that the India Tucson shares some parts with other cars made here, is that likely to have any impact on crash test ratings? Probably not, but the thought just struck me since as an immediate example, the petrol engine itself is shared with the Alcazar
Old 1st September 2022, 14:28   #23
BHPian

Re: Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars

Good luck to all those who have booked the Tuscon Too Soon

But joking apart, Hyundai has actually updated the Tuscon by adding standard side airbags, side curtain airbags, three point belts in all positions, i-size marking, seatbelt reminder for the front passenger position, ESC and speed limitation system and has scored 3 stars in Latin NCAP:

You can read more about this here: https://www.globalncap.org/news/tucs...ap-assessments
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 16:27   #24
BHPian

I did raise this concern to my SA and response was more to treat Euro/ANCAP results for India model. The way I see this is that this is a LWB CKD version so the sheet metal used should be same as what you get in other countries. If ANCAP is still valid, then someone would need to get into report details one by one and see what is valid for India variant as more than sheet metal (something they indeed do cutdown in India based Creta/Seltos), it is to do with some standard safety features in base model.

These features are standard in India Spec:
- 6 Airbags (Front Dual, Side & Curtain Airbags)
- Electronic Stability Control
- All Disc Brakes
- Vehicle Stability Management

I would still wait for some detailed analysis before just looking at LNCAP as it is especially when car has scored 5* in EuroNCAP and ANCAP
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 16:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Initially, I did feel a bit sorry for Hyundai/Kia because this rating is not representative of the passive safety and is more of an active safety fail.

But then, I remembered the stunts they pull in our market but taking five star rated cars like the Creta/Seltos and downgrading it for Indian consumers. Karma really does bite sometimes...
McLaren Rulez is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 23:08   #26
BHPian

So I spent some time going over the various NCAP ratings for 4th generation Tucson since I'm about to get delivery of mine sometime this month and want to ensure I'm covered on safety part(NCAP perspective) before taking plunge. I would want others to review and correct if my understanding is incorrect.

EuroNCAP (this is only with the 1.6 Turbo/Hybrid engine and might have been SWB)
Doc: EuroNCAP_Tucson.pdf

ANCAP: This is LWB version and pretty much what you get in India as I see Diesel one listed as well
Doc: ANCAP_Tucsonoriginal.pdf

LatinNCAP
Doc: LatinNCAP_Tucson.pdf

Summary of the ratings:
Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-screenshot-20220901-10.42.50-pm.png

Now if you see, main reason for Latin NCAP to rate 3* is due to lower scores in Child Occupant, Pedestrian protection, Safety Assist. In terms of the body structure , there are no complains in the report so we should not be having any concerns there. From Adult Occupant section in LNCAP report: The bodyshell was rated stable

I've highlighted some of key points called out in each bucket that I believe contributed to lower score:
1) Child Occupant
- Some of the CRSs tested for installation failed.
- The car does not have a passenger airbag disconnection switch as standard equipment.

2) Pedestrian protection
- Here, focus is on AEB only (Auto Emergency Braking)
- AEB VRU: the car offers optional AEB VRU meeting the performance requirements but does not fulfil Latin NCAP availability requirements for scoring.

3) Safety Assist
- No SBR (Seatbelt Reminder) for rear seating positions
- The car does not offer BSD (Blind Spot Detect)
- LSS and RED: the car offers optional LSS and RED
- AEB Interurban: the car offers optional AEB IU

Overall, if you see the lower rating is not due to issue with body shell or sheet metal used (something clearly highlighted in lower rating of CRETA India GNCAP rating) but more around some of optional ADAS kind of features or related to Child Seat mount fixtures.

Quote:
Latin NCAP also tested optional equipment like Autonomous Emergency Braking, Lane Support Systems and Road Edge Detection, which all showed good performance but as they are in lower volumes than those required by Latin NCAP, they do not contribute to the score and star rating.
Latin NCAP strongly believes that as Hyundai increases the availability of ADAS technologies as well as small aspects of the Tucson, it can reach higher scores.
Source: https://www.globalncap.org/news/tucs...ap-assessments

With above, I would probably just consider the ANCAP 5* ratings for things I usually relate safety to when looking at NCAP rating (main body shell stability and protection it offers). Again, I just want to be fair and would need experts to give feedback so as team bhp members we are looking at right things and not getting influenced by just headlines.

Last edited by neel911 : 1st September 2022 at 23:13. Reason: GNCAP News
neel911 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 00:42   #27
BHPian

Let’s take the best case scenario of ANcap of 5 star.
Here is a quick snapshot from the brochures of the Tucson sold in India Vs Australia and the safety features which are being offered. First two pictures are from the Australia spec car and the remaining two are related to the India spec car.
You can see that there are omissions in safety gear vs the model sold in India probably hinting at why it achieved a rating of 5* in ANcap. For example the seatbelts do not have load limiters in india, top tether child anchors are missing, roll over sensor missing and other ADAS features.
These are just observations from the official brochures hosted on the country websites. The best way to provide reassurance would be for Hyundai to come up with a communication clarifying the which safety ratings would apply to the model sold in India to people who have already booked.
Attached Thumbnails
Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-e4700b91c64540b3b94283efaf279253.png  

Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-9c66c720fa8f49fab6335f9ead2718a2.png  

Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-c95f90f13244455890a9ed547dff3db8.jpeg  

Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-4db51916724440eeb0543b993d489c4a.jpeg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd September 2022 at 09:25. Reason: Typo
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 07:44   #28
BHPian

What I do not understand is how does ADAS influence NCAP rating? Only recent cars have some level of ADAS features but we have lot of other cars that continue to get 5* safety rating

Anything around passive safety is what I feel is more important right?

Out of list above, the roll over sensor def seems to be an important one for airbag deployment

Personally on how Hyundai India has typically reacted to these statements in past, I doubt they are going to come forward with all clarity. It is left to consumers on how to make sense of these reports

One of YouTube shorts around this

Last edited by neel911 : 2nd September 2022 at 07:52. Reason: YouTube link
neel911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 07:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Lets also remember that Safety norms are a continuous improvement curve. In fact, most of the high GNCAP score cars in India may fail the norms going forward. Doesnt mean they are suddenly unsafe. People all over the world are driving cars atleast 5+ years old which may probably score 0 stars in any current NCAP ratings. They surely are ok with whatever equipment they have. Considering the global reach of information courtesy cheap internet, the Rating agencies also need to be a little more circumspect while pronouncing results in such a "clinical" manner, for the lack of better words. A little less sensationalism, a little more detail is the need of the hour.
Old 2nd September 2022, 07:56   #30
BHPian

While alert and sensible defensive driving can help to a great extent to prevent any mishaps, but still cannot rule those out completely. Because you simply cannot influence the other party on their circumstances and driving behaviour.

So, it is always helpful to reduce the risk further, by keeping the crashworthiness in view at the time of purchase.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks