Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2022, 13:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars

Are there some examples of American, German or Japanese brands in the similar price segment accomplishing the honours of zero/low Latin NCAP rating?
Old 3rd September 2022, 14:00   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Are there some examples of American, German or Japanese brands in the similar price segment accomplishing the honours of zero/low Latin NCAP rating?
Latin NCAP barely conducts crash tests on cars. In fact, the Tucson is the only one they have tested this year. Going by recent history, most of the cars from popular manufacturers except the Volkwagen Taos (only 5 star exception) that have undergone the Latin NCAP test have been given a 0 star rating.

If you check their website, majority of the cars tested before 2019 have an average rating of 3.5-4 stars. I am not sure what has happened in the last two years though. Perhaps they have beefed up their benchmark or the cars being shipped to this region are indeed of poor quality/lacking basic safety features. I can't comment on this further as I have done little reading other than what I have mentioned in this regard. Here is a link though for quick reference if you are interested.

https://www.latinncap.com/en/results

MODS: Delete post below this. It has been posted by mistake.

Last edited by umairalvi : 3rd September 2022 at 14:05.
umairalvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 16:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
why not simply get their A-game in terms of equipment for this crazy price and build a positive opinion? Or if that's too late, like most said, at least do something immediately to allay the concerns. People are already talking about cancelling their booking.
Fact is - given all the noise on TBHP and elsewhere, that noise is not big enough to hurt the sales of Hyundai and there is no compulsion for Hyundai to act on it. They will not do something which they don’t need to, simple as that.

This is what I meant when I said in my post before “ we have seen cars cutting in to 2 halves yet selling like hot cakes “.

As someone shelling big 30 - 40 bags, if the rating hurts us, then in the given scenario it is entirely our problem, not Hyundai’s. For that matter many other car manufacturers are in the same category.

I don’t expect either Hyundai or in the same situation any other company will do anything- not even acknowledge or comment on the report in India. Rest is all up to us whether to buy or not
KrishKallapur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 02:56   #64
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailendrakr View Post
What are the alternatives in the 40L price range?
Save 12 lakh, buy a XUV700.
Save 32 lakh, buy a Tata Punch.
Save 25 lakh, buy a Nexon.

Why spend 40 lakhs, if not justified? Buy mass market segments, which can provide good products at fairly good price.

Last edited by Indepth : 4th September 2022 at 02:57. Reason: Editing lines
Indepth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 20:41   #65
BHPian

While we are on this topic of safety I read a sad news, Tata sons former chairman Cyrus Mistry died in road accident. Very tragic end to a successful strong businessman. May his soul rest in peace.

Link:
https://www.indiatvnews.com/business...2-09-04-805386

Look closely, it is a Mercedes Benz car. Must be 1Cr plus OTR. The car is said to have hit a divider. Airbags have opened, can be seen in pictures.

This would have been a car with 5-Star rating?

That goes to show despite all testing, Star rating etc, safe driving habits are the only saviours.
KrishKallapur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 21:11   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishKallapur View Post

This would have been a car with 5-Star rating?

That goes to show despite all testing, Star rating etc, safe driving habits are the only saviours.
Indeed very sad news. RIP Cyrus. I'm not sure if rear passengers were wearing seat belt. Seems the front passengers have survived but are critical but rear passengers died on the spot. No matter how safe cars are, I agree, we all need to be careful. We need government to mandate rear seat belt alert as well, something I've experienced when I was visiting Australia. Yes, there will always be some jugaad (I see so many cab drivers keeping those seat belt stand alone front hook inserted so there is no alert to front passenger to wear seat belt ), but we shall at-least have much better discipline.
neel911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:53   #67
BHPian

My tweet to Anand Mahindra. I saw many are tweeting to him similarly in that thread. I suggest TBHP members should tweet to him and other such people. That can create a moment and can improve the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-43c7583c7c9f4dd2b3450c5fa641b13e.jpeg  

KrishKallapur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 16:14   #68
anb
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
Save 12 lakh, buy a XUV700.
Save 32 lakh, buy a Tata Punch.
Save 25 lakh, buy a Nexon.

Why spend 40 lakhs, if not justified? Buy mass market segments, which can provide good products at fairly good price.
All these products will also get zero stars if tested under the latest Latin NCAP.

Quote:

This is what I meant when I said in my post before “ we have seen cars cutting into 2 halves yet selling like hot cakes “.
5 star rated Altroz and untested Harrier were also cut into 2 pieces. But the news was not viral.

https://www.carblogindia.com/tata-ha...-two-accident/

Last edited by anb : 5th September 2022 at 16:25.
anb is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 13:20   #69
BHPian

For anybody who is still on the fence regarding the Tucson... came across this random Youtube video which talks a lot of sense..most importantly, drive safe everyone!

All of you have seen that ratings don't really matter at the end of the day. We have already witnessed an unfortunate incident in the form Mr. Mistry's demise which was a result of supposed overspeeding. No 5-star rated car in the world can save you if you choose to go beyond the limit and drive fecklessly. Before we start blaming the strength of the structure, we should contemplate about how terrible/unsafe a driver most of us are on our public roads and how many of us religiously belt oursleves up especially, in the back seat!

umairalvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 14:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Quoting from the 6 airbag version test description

It appears that the body is structurally stable and generally protects its occupants. Lets not get into the star number game without getting into the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Remember Latin NCAP ratings are based on the maximum rating allowed by the worst performing category.

The Tucson has 82% for adult occupant protection[/b], 70% for child occupant protection (4 stars), 48% for vulnerable road users (5 stars), and 56% for safety assist (3 stars). So the safety assist is what limits the rating, and in the presentation Alejandro Furas says they've tested the AEB and LSS and they performed well, they only fail fitment rates, i.e., are only sold in volumes in Latin America too low to be considered for scoring.

Also important: the Tucson has 13.9/16 in the frontal impact. Add 1 point for seatbelt reminders and that's 14.9/17 or 5 stars in Global NCAP's old tests. Even in Global NCAP's new tests from July this year, it's 13.9 frontal+16 side+1seatbelt reminders = 30.9/34, additionally the Tucson meets UN127 pedestrian impact requirements, passes the side pole test and the ESC tests, so that's 5 stars again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
Latin NCAP is far stricter than the GNCAP. The below diagram should give an idea why Tucson got a 3-star rating.

The adult occupation score is 5-star, child occupant score is 4-star, and pedestrian protection is 5-star and Safety Assist is 3-star. The overall star rating is determined by the lowest of the 4 scores which is 3-star in this case.... Child occupant score is 4-star as the installation assessment of CRS (Child Restraint System) fails on the front seat. This is mostly because the car does not have a passenger airbag deactivation switch in which case a rearward-facing car seat cannot be installed.

Safety assist rating of 3-star was mainly because of the following
  1. No rear seatbelt reminder.
  2. No ADAS systems - AEB, Lane support system, Blind spot system.

Point 1 is applicable to Indian Tucson as well but 2. is not applicable. as the Indian version of Tucson has a host of ADAS features covering all those needed by Latin NCAP and much more.

So in conclusion one looking to buy Tucson in India should not be overly worried about safety due to Latin NCAP rating.
My friend had shortlisted Tucson and about to book. Bam !! came the Latin NCAP results. He got worried and sought my counsel. I replied on similar lines and now booking is done.

To further inspire confidence and enhance joy of ownership, I forwarded your posts (with all the technical details) to him. Thank You for separating chaff from the grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Good luck to all those who have booked the Tuscon Too Soon
My condolences to those who made their family/ friends cancel Tucson booking without knowing the important details.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 6th September 2022 at 14:35.
AutoNoob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 08:30   #71
BHPian

Finally looks like something good is happening. Government is making seat belt compulsory for all passengers in the car. Manufacturers are also participating in making travel safer in India.

https://www.aninews.in/news/national...20220906214920

How much of it will be implemented is yet to be seen. Unfortunate that it took so many lives lost and one prominent and promising businessman’s life to trigger the correction where as countries all over the world have taken steps long back.
Old 7th September 2022, 11:50   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Finally looks like something good is happening. Government is making seat belt compulsory for all passengers in the car. Manufacturers are also participating in making travel safer in India.

https://www.aninews.in/news/national...20220906214920

How much of it will be implemented is yet to be seen. Unfortunate that it took so many lives lost and one prominent and promising businessman’s life to trigger the correction where as countries all over the world have taken steps long back.
The onus will still be on the people to follow the rules. There are so many examples we see everyday where educated people use seat belt clips to avoid the chimes. Rules can never replace self discipline. Hope we all become more aware and follow rules.
Old 12th September 2022, 10:49   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaurougeatSpa View Post
The onus will still be on the people to follow the rules. There are so many examples we see everyday where educated people use seat belt clips to avoid the chimes. Rules can never replace self discipline. Hope we all become more aware and follow rules.
True, as long as people keep doing stuff like this rules and NCAP remain a joke:

https://www.cartoq.com/traffic-polic...-kids-in-boot/
KrishKallapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 14:00   #74

People who have booked Hyundai Tucson, there's no need to panic due to Latin NCAP ratings. New Latin NCAP testing procedure is more strict than rest of the NCAPs. The only reason 6 airbag version of Tucson got 3 stars is due to lack of some active safety features. There's a fine line between an informed buyer and an uninformed buyer.

Send any Tata, Mahindra, VW cars with similar missing active safety feature and they would get the same rating. And send any car with just 2 airbags, it would definitely get 0 star.

I personally feel that IIHS (USA market) crash test rating is the best one for determining passive safety. And in their website, Tucson is rated as "TOP SAFETY PICK+" (highest rating). Even Jeep Compass is rated lower than Tucson. Compass is rated "TOP SAFETY PICK" only. Link: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-saf...#award-winners

Long wheelbase version of Tucson is sold in both USA and India. Europe gets the shorter wheelbase one. Hyundai Tucson in USA has a starting price of $27,250. That would be around Rs 22,89,000. Here in India, Tucson starts from Rs 29,00,000 (ex-showroom). At that price point Hyundai has no reason for cost-cutting. Hyundai usually does cost cutting for lower segment cars in India, like i10, i20, Creta, etc because these cars have very low starting price point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks