Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2022, 19:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

RIP, Cyrus Mistry! Could this accident be because of cruise control at high speed with the driver error compounded. Have seen that engaging cruise control causes the engine spin in lowest rpm in highest possible gear and the rpm's change to maintain a constant speed that is set if there's a curve and an incline, being in the highest possible gear makes braking not so effective and can be hair raising at times. I've experienced this and not inclined to use cruise control that much and also drastically alters the reaction time due to the high speed carried. A few kmpl less is nothing compared to a disaster.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 4th September 2022 at 19:13.
Durango Dude is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 19:36   #32
BHPian

re: Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident

If I were that rich and affluent as Cyrus, I would have never taken a car to travel between Ahmedabad to Mumbai. I would have easily taken a chopper or a plane ride for this travel. Cyrus, given the wealth at his disposal, seems to be a humble human! RIP

Last edited by ajmat : 4th September 2022 at 19:40.
highwaypatrol is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 19:39   #33

Very unfortunate. RIP.

As far as I remember, there are couple of few places in that stretch where the 3 lane NH splits into 2 laned bridges (2 in number, i.e. 4 lanes). If one doesn't know the topography, the last minute split of the road can be quite confusing and disorienting, particularly at high speeds. [I am not sure if this accident spot is bridge is one of such type but it seems so].

Still, I believe Mr Mistry and Mr Jahangir Pandole would have been alive if only they had worn their seat belts. My guess is that Dr. Anahita Pandole (driver) and Mr Darius Pandole (co-passenger) were seated in front seats and were saved by seat belts although they must have suffered grievous injuries going by the position of vehicle seats in the crashed vehicle.

Just a small mistake but a disproportionately huge loss. Just reinforces that travelling on Indian roads has to be a serious business always and each and every time.

Incidentally, our media seems to be publishing news without verifying about trip to Ahmedabad. It is learnt they had gone to Udwadia Fire Temple which is just about 200 kms from Mumbai.
ts75 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 19:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
From what I saw, there was no front head rest in passenger seat. Whiplash or unbelted ?
It was given as a pillow to the lady in the car who was lying down on the side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed with their driver Henri Paul travelling in a 1994 armoured Mercedes-Benz S280 sedan (W140 S-Class) were killed when it hit a tunnel boundary in Paris, 25 years ago.
Also similar(like the Mercedes hitting the tunnel's pillar) and deducing from the pics is that this car hit the rigid concrete "V" edge of the bridge boundary (not a divider per se) which concentrated the force of the impact into a very small area which caused the severe frontal damage that's visible. This is a situation even more severe than the small overlap crash test.

A rounded bridge edge along with preventive crash rails would've greatly reduced the impact force manageable by the GLC's passive safety grid.

Sad to see another life lost on our roads and the lessons are evident.
Will wait for the investigation to know the cause of the accident.

Last edited by shancz : 4th September 2022 at 19:57. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 20:25   #35
BHPian

Rest in peace, Cyrus Mistry.

2nd high profile road fatality in month's period in Maharashtra. 1st being Vinayak Mete - a politician (though can't be compared with Cyrus on any parameters).

In both the cases, IMHO there was an error of judgement by drivers of their respective cars. 1st one erred by overtaking from left side and trying to squeeze between 2 trialers, 2nd one might have erred by being involved in conversations and just for that very moment steering may have slightly digressed.

I am in no way justifying lack of road markings, reflectors, etc.

Last edited by varunswnt : 4th September 2022 at 20:28.
varunswnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 20:28   #36
BHPian

This is really tragic news. Lives lost to our unforgiving roads makes one realise how grateful we need to be after every trip on our highways. However aware and consciously we drive ourselves, the number of unknowns and unpredictable situations that come up are just too many

And to lose a dynamic business leader like Cyrus at a young age in a road accident is unfortunate.

God should give strength to the families of both the people who passed away. Om Shanti
Old 4th September 2022, 20:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post

Thanks for sharing the photos. Looking at the traffic flow and the vehicle's final positions my guess is that the vehicle crossed the median and hit the wall at the edge of the opposite direction. The vehicle trajectory could be a result of avoidance.
Car didn't cross the median. It is evident in other photos (not posting because they contain the bodies) - 1.) grass and plant in the median adjacent to the spot were not crushed. 2.) Car is in the proper lane . This bridge seems to be 2nd one for the left side traffic. Right side traffic (oncoming) is seen driving on a bridge to the right of this spot. I think a momentarily lapse of concentration or someother distraction caused loss of control and car hit the bridge wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts75 View Post
Very unfortunate. RIP.

As far as I remember, there are couple of few places in that stretch where the 3 lane NH splits into 2 laned bridges (2 in number, i.e. 4 lanes). If one doesn't know the topography, the last minute split of the road can be quite confusing and disorienting, particularly at high speeds. [I am not sure if this accident spot is bridge is one of such type but it seems so].
Yes the spot contains multiple 2 lane bridges. This accident happened on the second bridge from left.

Last edited by deetee : 4th September 2022 at 20:35.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 20:48   #38
BHPian

As per the news on India Today, the rear air bags failed to deploy. Could this be related to rear seat belts not being buckled?
Old 4th September 2022, 21:00   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
As per the news on India Today, the rear air bags failed to deploy. Could this be related to rear seat belts not being buckled?
Right-side curtain airbag has opened. Don’t know why didn’t the left side curtain open as well.

Although, don’t know if side airbags would’ve helped, the impact seems to be a head-on one.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 21:00   #40
BHPian

This is the accident spot and as seen below, the left lane diverges into 2 bridges.

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-20220904_205635.jpg

I suspect, the driver had used the diverging lanes road marking strip ( Crossed white lines) to drive and ended up with no road at the corner where the strip ends and hit the concrete wall.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 21:04   #41
BHPian

There seem to be lot of such sections on the highways in Maharashtra. Cyrus Mistry Accident reminds me of an old accident posted by a fellow member @Frontosa when his Polo got fallen down in one such ditch. Thankfully he got saved that time, though his car got totaled.

First pic is from the Mistry's accident spot and the bottom pic is from the Frontosa's accident site.

More details here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...y-vw-polo.html (God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo))

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-cyrusacc2.jpg

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-carcrash-site1.jpg

Last edited by tbppjpr : 4th September 2022 at 21:08.
tbppjpr is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 21:09   #42
BHPian

Don’t know what speeds the car was doing. But the crash seems like a text book case of a rigid barrier crash test carried out by many NCAP institutions. Shows how much seat belts play a role in such accidents. RIP
revsperminute is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 21:23   #43
BHPian

The only solution to accidents in India is having strict speed limits. Govt should mandate manufacturers to limit speeds in their cars. No high speed fun is worth putting your life at risk. One can go to race circuits to experience thrills if he can afford it. Reducing speed increases safety because all gyan about 5-star safety, safe driving, rules, etc does not apply in India.
Old 4th September 2022, 21:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on the speed at which it was travelling? Dash display should be on
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts75 View Post
Incidentally, our media seems to be publishing news without verifying about trip to Ahmedabad. It is learnt they had gone to Udwadia Fire Temple which is just about 200 kms from Mumbai.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 21:51   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Police updates say that Cyrus Mistry and his friend were in the back. The survivors were in in the front seats. So this does add up to the two not wearing their seat belts.
condor is online now   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks