Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2022, 13:53   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I'm not a legal expert by any stretch but the insurance companies are liable to pay Cyrus Mistry's beneficiaries without recourse to the Doctor.
Thanks for clarifying this. Generally I have heard that the lives of CEOs or such top bosses are really valuable for the stakes they maintain, and the sudden loss of life would mean that there would be some collateral damage to business. So if not family(of course) I thought the insurance companies who would end up paying a huge sum might want to recover some of their financial hit. That along with so much of developments with regard to overspeeding would have given them an opportunity I assumed.
Old 15th December 2022, 15:32   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thanks for clarifying this. Generally I have heard that the lives of CEOs or such top bosses are really valuable for the stakes they maintain, and the sudden loss of life would mean that there would be some collateral damage to business. So if not family(of course) I thought the insurance companies who would end up paying a huge sum might want to recover some of their financial hit.
What you are referring to here is keyman insurance that a business takes out wherein on death or serious incapacitation of the keyman or keywoman the business or the private shareholders get the insurance proceeds as a part protection of expected losses. It is common amongst companies funded by private equity where the existence and brains of one or two founders is key to success of the enterprise.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 20:32   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if posted earlier:

Quote:
Gynaecologist Dr Anahita Pandole, who was booked on the charge of rash driving that resulted into the death of industrialist Cyrus Mistry, has a history of traffic rules violation and was issued challans for over-speeding on several occasions since 2020, a police official said on Thursday. .. and the violations have been for this particular car.
https://www.rediff.com/news/report/c...g/20221215.htm
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 10:20   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not sure if posted earlier
It was clear from the start the cause of this unfortunate accident was due to driver error and speeding. If only this lady had kept her NFS under control.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 10:52   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
She had 11 traffic violation cases registered in just 3 years! They should have canceled her license after 10 cases and Mr. Mistry would have lived today.
Guna is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 12:15   #501
Senior - BHPian

All if’s and buts (license should have been canceled earlier etc) folks. We do not know what exactly happened in those split seconds before the Mercedes hit the barrier. If if’s and but’s are taken into consideration then let’s say if the road would have have been designed properly the accident wouldn’t have happened.

Also, for all those who say various things because of some prior speeding or rash driving citations, it’s also possible that this circumstance was different. How on earth do we know!! I feel such remarks are best avoided.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 13:09   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
If if’s and but’s are taken into consideration then let’s say if the road would have have been designed properly the accident wouldn’t have happened.

How on earth do we know!! I feel such remarks are best avoided.
+ 1000, its easier to sit back, relax, speculate and type. We don't know the actuals and parties involved (NHAI, Police, bureaucrats etc.) are tying to prove themselves right.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 21:47   #503
BANNED

Disgusting to see people justifying a reckless driver! She should be banned from driving a car, just because she is rich she got away by paying the fines. 11 violations doesn’t mean it was only that much, it were the only ones that could be recorded, it would easily be multiple times that number as it is impossible to put cameras every hundred meters.
The Rationalist is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 22:53   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
... it would easily be multiple times that number as it is impossible to put cameras every hundred meters.
It may vary by region, but honestly, it seems pretty hard, in this country, to get booked for reckless driving. That suggests to me, fairly or not, that someone caught eleven times must be pretty bad.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 14:03   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
+ 1000, its easier to sit back, relax, speculate and type. We don't know the actuals and parties involved (NHAI, Police, bureaucrats etc.) are tying to prove themselves right.
The only benefit of doubt which can be given to the driver here is driver fatigue - say she dozed off and crashed. Someone had posted the video of that stretch - with all the driving I have done, I can say that any average, alert, and sane driver would have been able to avert the crash even if the overtaking from left most lane is discounted. The narrowing of your lane and the road curving cannot be missed. Speeding or not - it was a judgment error. If speeding was involved - it would have amplified then impact of the error in judgment. And for all the arguments being made against speeding, one cannot ignore the past offences as well as the circumstantial evidence in this case.
theabstractmind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 17:20   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
The only benefit of doubt which can be given to the driver here is driver fatigue - say she dozed off and crashed.
She dozed off or fatigued? Even then only she takes the entire blame!.

Only excuse for her is if the machine turned cranky, which I think has already been investigated and ruled out.

Horrible driving . Which of the road journeys guarantees a ramrod straight road until you reach your destination with literally every small and big deviation marked crystal clear? That is why use your brains and eyes to go defensive or overtake or whatever move only after a 100% view ahead.
Nalin1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 17:59   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Drivers in India normally keep their eyes peeled open for surprises on the road both in road construction i.e. the chicken necks as well as others like rocks, speed bumps, rumble strips, tail gating, jaywalkers, animals, swerving drivers among other things.

This lady is a mature individual and an experienced driver..in fact she and I are nearly the same age i.e. driving for close to 4 decades approximately assuming she received her DL around the same time I did. So I do not believe her lack of driving experience was to blame but deliberate speeding being just 1 reason why this accident occured. That too in a car that's normally over engineered from the safety point of view plus has a several other features to assist the driver whilst on the road. If she was tired or sleepy for e.g. after a heavy meal it was solely her responsibility to take a coffee break & snap out of the drowsiness. I am not even getting into the rear seat passengers not wearing seat belts that's been voiced earlier in this thread.

The driver of any vehicle is responsible for his/her own life and that of passengers. Regardless, 2 illustrious persons have passed away and thousands of others die due to the peculiarities of our roads and drivers. It pays to be very cautious on Indian roads regardless of the vehicle you drive or ride. Please be wary.
R2D2 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 18:37   #508
BHPian

Remembering a dialogue from the Denzel Washington movie: Equalizer 2.

"There are two kinds of pain in this world. Pain that hurts and Pain that alters! Today, you got to choose"

Ms. Pandole has got both. Don't know what will she do going forward. Alter her driving or incur more pain that hurts.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 10:21   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Ms. Pandole has got both. Don't know what will she do going forward. Alter her driving or incur more pain that hurts.
I really liked this post. :

Really hoping she has learnt her lessons on both counts. After all the deaths of her brother in law and a man like Cyrus Mistry must weigh heavily on her mind. She and her husband are lucky to be alive and that's coz they had belted up. And therein lies a lesson for the rest of us.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 14:36   #510
BHPian

Hi,

Not sure if it has been posted already, but since I could not see it, I will ask the question anyway, the report from the car manufacturer, did that get published? If yes, where can I find it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks