Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2022, 09:01   #466
BHPian

Re: Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The golden rule for overtaking rightly, leftly or wrongly is
These golden rules applies even if we are not overtaking or not. Found this note by Harold Smith in an old video.

Name:  harold.PNG
Views: 294
Size:  280.2 KB

If we do not have enough road ahead of us, equal to the stopping distance at any speed, we have to reduce speed or look for an exit route.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 10:41   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
Sir. This is exactly why I visit and post mainly on posts related to accidents. With a hope to influence a driver's behaviour.

3. It is possible to drive without resorting to dangerous overtaking maneuvers, especially overtaking from the left most lane. It needs two things - self awareness, and respect. If people keep doing it over and again and justifying it, especially on a forum like this where there is enough information available on both common driving sensibilities and about accidents (with many of those taking place on the left most lane at high speeds), then it can only mean that the person doesn't take accountability. It is hard to do, not impossible.
What do you do yourself when driving on the highway and slow moving vehicles are blocking the right-side lanes?

1. Stay in the right lane and honk continuously (thereby causing noise pollution and disturbing the local wildlife)

2. Drive behind the truck at 40kmph on an open highway until they gracefully move out of your way (be they ahead of you for 5 minutes or 50 minutes)

3. Overtake from the left, like the rest of us

Every forum member here knows that the right lane is meant for overtaking. No one overtakes on the left because we want to, it's because we have no choice.

Please take a dash-cam video of your next road trip and share. I straight up believe it's impossible for anyone to follow what you are saying. But prove me wrong, I'll be more than happy to eat humble pie .
kadanaJ is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 11:36   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
What do you do yourself when driving on the highway and slow moving vehicles are blocking the right-side lanes?

Every forum member here knows that the right lane is meant for overtaking. No one overtakes on the left because we want to, it's because we have no choice.
Taking liberty for most of us and will admit - yes, I do overtake from the left (middle lane when its a 3 lane) within the speed limit only and only if I see the road ahead for a considerable distance. If its a curve, or blocked for whatever reason, then I prefer to stay behind till its a clear coast.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th November 2022 at 16:46. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
denzdm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 11:41   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not denying this. But there are 3 things to consider:
  1. Expecting the other vehicle to slam the brakes and make way for you, because I don't have the patience. Bigger the vehicle, lesser chance they will do it, even if they do it won't be as agile as a smaller vehicle.
  2. Lane has a layer of soil. On a busy highway in plains not in a desert, this is a red flag. Lanes in use are swept by the vehicles using them.
  3. One can make the judgement call earlier in the move whether the car will make it at current speed or not.

This judgement call has been taken far too late by the driver in this accident and is being booked for it.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 11:41   #470
BHPian

Quote:

To be honest, we all do that. However, it is one thing to pass a slow move truck from the middle lane at a road legal speed and altogether different thing to snake through the lanes at crazy speeds.

I often see people who cut lanes at insane speeds and then merge back right infront you, sometimes too close to cause you to brake. In the present case, it is very tough to support the driver given the speeds and the way at which she was trying to cut through from the left most lane. God forbid, if a biker or a slow moving auto was there, they would have paid the price for someone else's fault. But again, such an accident would never be reported as money speaks louder.

Also, on the road design - I probably think there should be a sign indicating merging lines. Nevertheless, it is really hard to crash in that spot for a good driver driving at a sane speed.
Bhargav7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 11:56   #471
BHPian

Quote:

1. Stay in the right lane and honk continuously (thereby causing noise pollution and disturbing the local wildlife)

2. Drive behind the truck at 40kmph on an open highway until they gracefully move out of your way (be they ahead of you for 5 minutes or 50 minutes)

Please take a dash-cam video of your next road trip and share. I straight up believe it's impossible for anyone to follow what you are saying. But prove me wrong, I'll be more than happy to eat humble pie .
I can't install a dash-cam for you. Mind you - there's a difference between a mere pass and overtake. I will explain.

Overtake - when both vehicles are in same lane, and I need to move ahead. On a 3 lane road, I stick to the middle lane to the maximum extent. I plan my overtakes of a slower vehicle in the middle lane well enough to ensure it is always from the right, and done maintaining sufficient gap. Also, I make sure I have a clear view for a good hundred to two hundred meters ahead and rear. If a truck is blocking the right lane and is slower than the truck I am trying to overtake, I just avoid the overtake and wait patiently for enough gap to be created on the right lane for me to enter and exit - with a clear view. I don't try and move to the third (left) lane to overtake. I do give a honk to let know my displeasure and sometimes a gesture asking him to move to the left.

Pass - two vehicles comfortably stick to their lanes and you can move ahead.

When it is just two lanes, I adjust my driving based on traffic. Where I see many slow moving vehicles on left lane, I try and limit my left lane driving. Most often, I'm judicious enough to spot a slow truck on right lane from at least a few hundred metres and make a safe pass on the left - when there are no vehicles on the left lane and I have a clear view of my lane and the adjacent one. Mind you, it is a pass and not overtake. I let my presence known in all cases by flashing the headlights and a short double honk.

Things get tricky when left lane is busy leaving only the right lane open. Happens when nearing a township or village with tractors, autos, and two-wheelers. I try to keep to the right lane in these cases. And again, to the best possible extent, spot a slow truck from a fair distance and pass it safely. If in such cases both lanes are blocked, as stated above, if conditions are safer, I move to the left lane. Why? Because it is exactly in this situation people start tailgating and try to squeeze in from the left or flash. If I'm unable to move to the left lane safely, I do honk, usually without any favorable result. Then I of course wait for conditions to be safe enough for me to move to the left lane ahead of the slow truck on left and pass the truck on the right. By then, believe me, about five to ten cars would have tried to squeeze in, and I would have let them pass. Only for me to catch up with them a few minutes later behind another truck. Purely because they are all fighting for the same space without maintaining sufficient distance, and in the process slowing progress of everyone as they realize they cannot safely overtake or pass anymore.

In the whole melee, I would have cut the risk, by maintaining a safe distance, and avoiding a dangerous move. The others would have done the done the opposite. But gains, if any, are nigh.

You may still find faults, or doubt me. Up to you. But if I have to put it this way, many people ask did I live abroad after seeing me drive. You may have your answer there. And I will be the first to admit, it took me years to understand, unlearn the routine Indian habits and inculcate a steady approach to driving. I have driven only in India (have lived abroad for a short while). I'm still learning. But I haven't given up. I want to do my bit. I stop at red, slow at amber, allow pedestrians to cross, stop for vehicles on opposite lane to pass before I turn, stop for someone to make a turn when I see it is sensible thing to do. Some bits I learnt from my father who would show a hand signal and bring his moped to a halt in a deserted signal in the Bangalore of 90s. You get the point?
theabstractmind is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 12:15   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Most trucks are occupying right lanes on our highways, as left lanes are occupied by slow moving traffic like autos, bikers, tractors etc in same direction or wrong direction as well. We have no option other than overtaking from left.

Truck drivers don't like to slowdown as they will lose momentum, so

1. Avoid cutting them closely
2. Have enough following distance
3. Ensure road ahead is clear with no blocks,barricades etc and adjust speed accordingly.

Have uploaded a video from a recent trip.

chaitanyakrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 13:44   #473
BHPian

I feel it's very convenient for the government to book Anahita for rash driving for whatever happened rather than putting the NHAI officials in jail. Merging of three lanes into two lanes without proper signage, road design defect and no proper lane markings. How do you expect one to drive when the infrastructure is not upto the mark. I think before putting the blame on driver, one should take into account all the factors.
People who were involved were not some milennials out on a joy ride after having an all night party. Rather than causing any more emotional and mental stress on the people who are still coping up with the deaths of their loved ones and still in hospital fighting for their existence, one should point the faults in the infrastructure and bureaucracy. Booking a case only against Anahita shows the fault in our investigation process and biased behaviour against the driver.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 13:53   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

... ... ...

... ... ...
Nobody needs to overtake slow-moving traffic at 90-plus kph.

Either the traffic was not slow moving, in which case there was no need to overtake anyway, or it was, in which case the speed was crazy excessive.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 14:16   #475
BHPian

In the US there is an unwritten rule which all drivers adhere to - the 3 second rule. I try to follow the same rule even while driving in India.

It actually does not matter if you overtake from the left or the right or there is a truck or bus ahead, side, behind you etc. Just follow the 3 second rule.

The rule originated from the premise that cars take about 3 seconds to come to a standstill. The distance travelled depends on the speed when the brakes are applied.

The 3 second rule states that we keep a distance of 3 seconds between our car and the vehicle ahead of us. In terms of distance this would translate to 50 meters (when travelling at 60 kmph) or 100 meters (when travelling at 120 kmph). Also important to note that we need to have visibility of 3 seconds (so if there is fog, or lights on the road are not lit or any other issue we need to reduce speed accordingly).

Assuming the driver in this case followed the 3 second rule there is no way the car would have crashed. The fact that the car crashed just means that the driver did not have enough time to bring the car to halt or could not "see" the lane end just before the beginning of the bridge early enough. Assuming the car was driven at 90kmph, according to the 3 second rule the driver should have had the visibility of the next 75 meters.

The only saving grace is if the driver assumed that the car could build enough speed and overtake the truck before the lane did end, again this is lack of judgement while overtaking and in this case proved fatal.

Speed limit, road conditions, truck behavior etc are secondary in such accidents is what I believe.
soarersc300 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 15:55   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarersc300 View Post
In the US there is an unwritten rule which all drivers adhere to - the 3 second rule. I try to follow the same rule even while driving in India.
Well, that rule is not unwritten. It is very much written in the State specific Driver's Manual. They follow it because they know it. No such driver's manual exists for drivers in India.

Quote:
Assuming the driver in this case followed the 3 second rule there is no way the car would have crashed. The fact that the car crashed just means that the driver did not have enough time to bring the car to halt or could not "see" the lane end just before the beginning of the bridge early enough. Assuming the car was driven at 90kmph, according to the 3 second rule the driver should have had the visibility of the next 75 meters.

The only saving grace is if the driver assumed that the car could build enough speed and overtake the truck before the lane did end, again this is lack of judgement while overtaking and in this case proved fatal.

Speed limit, road conditions, truck behavior etc are secondary in such accidents is what I believe.
The 3 second rule goes for a toss during overtaking scenario. How else do you overtake anyways? In order to overtake, you need to reduce the distance between yourself and the vehicle ahead to under 3 seconds.

To the gentleman who just mentioned that slow moving traffic needs to be overtaken at sub 90 kmph.

Assuming that the slow moving vehicle (truck) is driving at 60 kmph and I intend to travel at 80 (because sub 90?) and I need to overtake and I am also following the 3 second rule.

Before the overtake begins, I am traveling at 60 (same as the vehicle in front). I pull into the overtaking lane and start accelerating. I am 3 seconds behind the vehicle in front when I start. At the speed differential of 20kmph, it will take me 9 seconds to reach the back of the vehicle. 9 more to reach 3 seconds ahead of the vehicle. If this vehicle that I am overtaking is a 16 wheeler truck, to pass the entire truck (length of truck + length of car) that is another 5 seconds at least.

That is a total of 23 seconds. That is a distance of over 500 meters travelled to complete the overtake. The person might as well commit suicide than try to do an overtake this long. The last time it took me that long to complete an overtake, I was driving a speed-governed ZoomCar limited to 80 kmph. I wouldn't wish such a situation on my worst enemy. Half the time, the person I would be overtaking would get fed up and start accelerating themselves and make the maneuver impossible and me having to fall back again.

In the ideal world, this *needs* to be done. But in the real world, such behaviour is suicidal and speeding up to complete the overtake fast improves the odds of survival multifold. It is very easy to blame the driver for overspeeding but sometimes the road designer must be taken to task.

Only last week, I came to know about another accident (involving a friend of a friend) that happened at that very spot. Everyone survived but barely. How is it that driver error is so common at that very spot? Why doesn't this happen 100 meters ahead or behind?
Old 7th November 2022, 16:24   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The 3 second rule goes for a toss during overtaking scenario. How else do you overtake anyways? In order to overtake, you need to reduce the distance between yourself and the vehicle ahead to under 3 seconds.
The rule is to maintain 3 seconds between our car and the vehicle ahead of us (implicit is that this is for the lane in which one is driving). While you overtake you switch the lanes and then overtake so you will still be able to follow the 3 second rule while overtaking and driving parallel to the vehicle you overtake.

Quote:
That is a total of 23 seconds. That is a distance of over 500 meters travelled to complete the overtake. The person might as well commit suicide than try to do an overtake this long.
I don't understand the need to calculate the time for overtaking. After the overtake what happens? Do we drive differently?

The rule is not specifically meant to be followed for overtaking. It's a rule for driving, be it on local streets or expressways, while passing, overtaking, reversing etc. You drive at any speed as long as you are confident about the next 3 seconds worth of distance right ahead of you.

Also it's not mandatory to follow the 3 second rule, even in the US, leave alone in India. This is just a suggestion for developing safe driving habits hence shared in the forum.

People drive dangerously, the road conditions are less than ideal, the lighting on roads is not bright, but that should not dissuade drivers from cultivating good driving habits. In the end it's an individual choice and the corresponding consequences.
soarersc300 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:46   #478
BHPian

All very unfortunate...irrespective of the status of the persons involved and the kind of car they were driving...a wasteful loss. It is possible that the driver was driving like any average driver in the Country...doing what most of us would do.

The so called NICE road in Bangalore is a reasonable, well marked and mostly well maintained section of Road. However, accidents are frequent. There are only 2 lanes. Heavy and overloaded trucks are trundling along the central lane in 2nd gear and crawling speeds. Other slightly more sprightly trucks try to overtake in the outside lane. Everyone, in their more nimble cars is else is zipping around and weaving between these like an obstacle course, often at high speeds!

The problem here is the use of the hard shoulder. Unfortunately, this has now become an unofficial 3rd lane - to be used to overtake. . When one eventually overtakes a slow moving truck correctly from the right, you have a fast moving car suddenly jump into your line from the far left. It can get very scary and dangerous.

There is absolutely no oversight. There must be a system to deter poor driving discipline. Some form of punitive action on drivers driving rashly is essential.

We have to prevent near-misses rather than collisions.
docsr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:24   #479
BHPian

Quote:

You should overtake only if you have 4 seconds to merge back after the overtake before you hit oncoming traffic. In this case that means a clearance of 30*4=120m post overtaking before she hit the bridge and another 40m to clear the truck. The truck itself would move another 60 m in roughly 4 seconds that it’d take her to overtake. Assumption is her speed was 100kph and Truck was at 50kph
That’s overall a whopping 220m of minimum clearance needed!
Old 8th November 2022, 10:14   #480
BHPian

One good thing that could come out of charging the driver is that to absolve themselves of any blame they will hire the best lawyers who will highlight any defect in the highway and bridge and the lack of any warning signs and lay the blame at the feet of the toll collector and highways department. They have the wherewithal to take such an approach. Maybe finally some responsibility will be laid at the door step of where it should be instead of just blaming the driver.
SedateGuy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks